Register now to get rid of these ads!

ruined threads

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Man I hate it when that happens!

How can we fix that ?

I had one go sour and it got closed. I thought it was pretty useful, about 90 % on topic until some ass hat sends it off into the internet version of the Spanish Inquisition.

Any thoughts

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've been wondering the same thing lately. A lot of threads have been turned into bickering about stupid crap. I'm more sick of the guys who have to ruin every other thread by talking politics. If someone asks a question about Which brand Gas to use, feel free to not answer the question with a rant about who you vote for and why you hate the other guy so much haha

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes - Don't reply to it.

It turned in a wrong direction when guys start making snide comments about decisions and counter replies to each other about comprehension etc. etc. etc. and that's the reason why it got closed. Thinking about it, Bronco didn't help the subject matter either.

Next time - report it if you think it is going off track and Mods will try to help steer it forward filtering out questionable comments BUT no garauntee's. If it's really going off the tracks topic - it gets closed.

4. Back up

It's kind of disheartening when you put some time into these things, try to help some fellow rodders out, deposit information for future searchers and then it gets deleted because of some asshole. I realize that the BS can not stand but when the entire thing is lost because of it, well it really doesn't help anyone.

I know it takes effort to weed out the BS but it takes a lot of combined effort to build a good thread. Centuries of combined knowledge and experience gone because of an idiot.

Banning idiots has to just as easy as deleting hours of effort building a thread and the the less idiots the better. More informative posts the better.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

just report it... If it's a worthwhile thread, we delete the bad stuff after we ban the members responsible.

BashingTin likes this.
  6. I have had a thread deleted in the past also which was on topic and I had put a lot of time in my thoughts but a couple of members took upon themselves to take it in the wrong direction and there was no saving it even though I sent the members a PM asking them to please keep it on target,,it too turned into political BS which we all know has no place on the hamb.

Interestingly enough one of the instigators was banned shortly thereafter.

I know how frustrating it can be but you have always had a lot to offer and I'm sure you will contribute volumes in the future. HRP

7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I'm a mod at another site and we can make there post invisible.
    Or ANYTHING else we see fit.

i volunteer to help here if ya need it.
    and I'm not going tobe a S N I T C H !
    and report every little infraction.

:cool:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. I don't know about that right now. Hopefully ill get over it and think differently but -
    Seems like its too easy for the time and effort involved in offering help and sharing some info to wind up In the shitter

9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

31 you are a valuable person here....
    so keep helping, and discussing
    i know it can be a bit daunting when you / we try to be of help and
    they just don't get it... or the tread gets to long to read,
    and we have a MIX of opinions.
    You can be my wing man any day...lol
    get it (top gun tom cruse thing).

:cool:

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just hit the report button and we will delete the post.

Thank you.

11. Where's the beetle deuce thread?

12. Not sure what happened, probably best to send a note to Ryan...starting a thread about it on the main board only stirs the pot and brings out the drama queens.

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

when the thread about the Volkswagen shifted to politics, religion and Henry Ford and Hitler smiling down from heaven it was reported.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Posting photos here isn't an easy deal, think of all the time someone looses producing a popular educational thread only to have all that work trashed, big loss for all of us. Bob

15. Yes, that's exactly what happened.
    Please note Ryan's post above .

And corncobs post
    So before the thread was completely ruined and beyond clean up, only of a hand full of WAY off topic posts on the last page needed to go.

The other thread I started on the main board didnt seem to full of drama, at least the last I saw. (However I do agree it could go that way.)
    It was full of disappointment, apologies from the few, and pleads to pleasepleasepleas reinstate it.

The beetleduece thread was awesome and many members stated it may be one of the best the Hamb has seen I'm a long time within it.

The only caveat I see in Ryan's post is "if its a worthwhile thread" now since it was deleted I guess the conclusion is that it was not worthwhile to everyone who was watching. I think it was up to 50 thousand views.

With all due respect, this thread about ruined threads was created to gain some guidance on preventing exactly what happened. The guidance was followed yet the result was exactly what was intended to be avoided.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  16. Please bring the thread back,censor or delete the problematic replays but Please bring it back. HRP

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We are getting ready to clean house on the more problematic shit talkers... I'll also take a look at this "VW" thread... but, uhh... VW?

18. Please take a look, it's fascinating, innovative, and there's barely any recognizable VW

Markmonty likes this.
  19. I thought the same thing when I first saw it,,,,,, a VW, on the Hamb??? The guy may have started with a VW, but after a bit, you realize its just metal, a base material to start with as he completely transforms it. I wasnt following it enough to see the drama go down, but it was cool what he was doing.

20. Ryan,I was tempted to hit the report button when I saw VW in the original title but after I opened the thread and started to see what had been accomplished there was nothing VW about it except that Simon cut up the sheet metal and designed a faux deuce body.

I urge you to review the thread and not judge the book by the title. HRP

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Bubba1955 and Max Gearhead like this.
  21. Would it not be just as easy to delete the couple of posts that polluted the thread, send a P.M. to those posters to "knock it off" & keep the thread for its valuable content?

22. Go easy on my fellow mods, fellas. They commit their time voluntarily and, like you, have families, projects, honey do's, and careers. Sometimes shit happens, give 'em some grace.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

None of us has time to micromanage every marginal thread.
    It's up to you guys to keep a rein on content.
    The thread was reported, it would involve examination judgement and reason to justify which part of the off topic thread gets saved or deleted.

Isn't there a site for nontraditional hot rods?

lothiandon1940 and gwhite like this.
  24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Exactly. It is/was still a VW made into a fake deuce. Two wrongs do not make it right.

46stude likes this.
  25. 46stude

46stude

That's it right there, boys and girls.

The HAMB is not a hot rod site. It is a traditional hot rod site. Sounds like the thread in question did not fit the guidelines, plain and simple.

26. TR,It is blatantly obvious that you could care less about anything posted on the hamb if it is not related to a hemi or selling hemi parts.

This guy has proven he has talent and I can't understand your constant negative attitude.

If you don't care for it why bitch about it ,just move on! HRP

Max Gearhead likes this.
  27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

HRP - careful.
    He has every right to his opinion as you do.

Just let it be Danny.

When guys start going after each others opinions, that's when drama starts and that's when Moderators start breaking off cam shafts if you know what I mean.