Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driving with no heat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Oct 31, 2014.

1. 002.JPG Well the radiator couldn't save the heater core on the 56 buick wagon.I am going to put it back together today with out the core so I can drive her.Then try and figure something out.You all have a good weekend.Bruce.

2. Measurements?? I found one for my Econoline just going through the heater cores at work. Sure it'll take a bit of fabrication, but not much.

Cosmo

P.S. Did I mention that it was $25 before employee discount??

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Losing heat isnt too bad ,its the defroster that can make it a challenge in the morning.

tb33anda3rd and 48ford like this.
  4. I have never had a heater in the Deuce sedan and swear every year I'm gonna install one but I still haven't done it,I'll probably resort to the gloves,watch cap,warm coat and occasionally long johns,oh yeah and a ice scraper to clear the windshield where my breath starts to frost up the windshield.:rolleyes: HRP

5. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  6. That sounds good,,keeping the family jewels nice and toasty but riding in a old car sans a interior and little to no weather striping don't help the body core. HRP

7. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

You'd be surprised how warm the body core gets by just heating the buns...Lotsa blood flow through them parts down under I guess....And the seat heater from Evilmart heats the back cushion too.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

And one good thing about Evilmart is, if you figure they really don't work out for you for any reason, keep the receipt and the package they come in and you can return them no questions asked for 30 days.

9. I had a 63 Galaxy that had a plugged heater core. Nice heavy quilt and a hot girlfriend made it livable below zero when I was young and foolish. 40 some years later hot girlfriend is still with me, (smarter now, likes heated seats) Galaxy is long gone!

stillrunners likes this.
  10. Oh yeah!! The heated seat would work much better that heater in my car. Great idea. Tim

11. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

My daily driver has no heater. I agree with the need for some way to keep the windshield from fogging up. Other than that, I can put up with about anything on a 15 minute commute.

12. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Keep a window cracked so the car doesn't fog up and your golden .

I'm so buying one of those seat heaters for my O/T car that has a weak heater. Once the temps get below 0 its no fun driving into work.

13. Glad I stumbled accross this thread. I hope my cigarette lighter works!

Dustin

14. If I can survive 120+ degree days with no AC, you can live without heat. Suck it up buttercup :)

need louvers ? likes this.
  15. Slopok

Slopok

You can always dress for the cold but you can only take off so many clothes.;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. No heat, no top. I've driven in 28 degree weather..........but not too far!:D:eek: 01152013_0004.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. If you study this thing you will notice that it is a little rectangular box, X" wide, Y" high, and Z" thick with two pipes coming out of it. There have been hundreds of millions of cars made since this thing was produced. Virtually all of them had heaters. There are only so many sizes of heater cores. I'm betting a suitable replacement can be found and made to fit. Look at a catalog with illustrations and dimensions. Remember, Google is your good buddy.

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

19. most have said it.....the core part is much the same for a lot of cars.....itents the pipes coming out that are different.....make something work....

20. Bader2

Bader2

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414807743.276759.jpg drove this 120 miles today,was 40 degrees and windy,no heater just the flatty,wasn't great but wasn't bad either!

21. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Piss poor radiator shop that could not make up a new core.

need louvers ? likes this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

I made this heater f rom parts of three others aheater.jpg aheater1.jpg

23. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Kinda off topic, but what kinda electric heaters or electric defrosters are available? Surely they've been tried out? Do they draw too many volts? Are there any? I don't want heater hoses, or gas heater, so any ideas.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

for this car

Attached Files:

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

all available electric heaters put out puny heat

26. loudbang

loudbang

Vodka antifreeze for your body. :rolleyes:

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bruce, call 1-877-542-8192. They might be able to help you find a heater core.

Gary

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Years ago we would put wad of card board, school eraser, or stone under the back edge of the hood to allow engine heat to flow onto the windshield. This worked better than no defroster.

Bubba1955 likes this.