Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 Ford Sedan "The Varmit" IS DONE! Successfully completed a Reliability Run

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dan Hay, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411007180.910934.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411007198.377091.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411007213.026979.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Help! These are the wheel bearing races. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412126361.036777.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412126373.103011.jpg

Any ideas? Nobody I've talked to in DFW can turn these down, since it requires chucking up the bell in a lathe, and press on a new sleeve. I know hot Rod works does this but that's not an economical choice.

I guess I'm gonna look for donor bells, but most likely I'll have to buy another rear end.

3. haychrishay

haychrishay

It can be done. Mike Thomas did the sleeves for me on the roadster.

4. alchemy

alchemy

You are on your way to a back yard packed with old Ford iron, like me. Pick up almost every banjo rearend and front axle you find within your budget. You'll need them eventually. At least that what I tell myself.

5. @alchemy No kidding, picked this up for a song from Craigslist because the wheelwell is in good shape. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412129365.394981.jpg my wife is thrilled about the new decor.

6. I helped the new owner of Antique Auto Parts sort some stuff, and I bought a bunch of NOS knick knacks. I stumbled across this sweet 40 standard glove box door with "The Varmit" lettered on it. I thought it was so awesome, they guy gave it to me. I took it home, cleaned it, cleared it and bolted in on.... Still looking for 37-40 bells with good races..
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413385182.974016.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413385209.706527.jpg

gonzo and UNCLECHET like this.
  7. cmarcus

cmarcus

Awesome Dan! And now your project has a name! :)

BONNEVILLE BOB 95 and Dan Hay like this.
  8. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

That is an awesome Glove Box! Bitchin find!

9. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey Dan, I bought a set of race savers from Antique Auto a couple years ago, and theres a machien shop behind the car quest on division, close to Bowen I think that will turn your housings and press on the savers.

10. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

NP.. Dan
    Going to the horse track swap next weekend ?

11. Yeah on the 24th-25th in Grand Prairie?

Also, the machine shop behind Carquest on division is Matsco.

I called and they didn't really know what I was talking about, they said just to bring them in. The good news is there hourly rate is about half of some I've been quoted. I might look for bells with good races or a complete banjo at the swap before I take these over to them.

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

Stacy is gone. Jim bought the business in July. Connie is gone too, thank goodness

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  13. I never met Stacy, but Jim is a great guy.

14. Rusty

Rusty

Jim is selling business too everything will be gone soon, he has no intention of keeping it, just got such a good deal on it he says he couldn't pass it up, picked up a couple things the other day but the good stuff is mostly gone "Stacy took with him. Stacy health is bad but he says he plans on getting back to smaller inventory and back to doing swap meets etc hopefully his health holds off to let him do that, if you go in now it's best to bring in your original part number , the number in the Ford Green Book and all the rows and boxes in the Ford Section goes by those numbers, Stacy had a great numbering system in place , can't get any easier than that. If you go in though without a number get ready to spend some time there. Which that ain't a bad thing either. Kinda like a scavenger hunt lol.

15. @Rusty
    I went over there on Monday at about 11:30, because I had Columbus day off. I meant to only ask about a couple of things. He said "Feel free to start digging around" At 3pm I finally left with three bags full of odds and ends. I need to get back over there before its all gone.

16. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I saw a post where someone referenced the "saggging" of the rubber motor mount cushions. If you do run into problems look at Drake as I believe he molds the rubber around steel supports that makes the cushions almost indestructable

17. @geoford41 I used Chassis Engineering biscuits because they have a steel ring around the base, and are molded over steel. The speedway units do not have the ring, and I've seen them squashed. I think these will hold up.

18. Crisis averted. I looked up the shop that @Model A Mark recommended... No problemo, here's a pic of my axle bell and the gigantic lathe in the background. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414699024.453537.jpg
    This place is called Matsco, and it's on Division in Arlington, TX

Another issue was trashed splined on the driveshaft. Called a friend Gene Cross in Iowa and a nice driveshaft is on the way. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414699148.269192.jpg

I also in the meantime mounted my brand used tank and mounted the Drake sway bar. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414699195.984310.jpg
    In preparation for reassembly I bought a torque tube seal plate from Danny at Bruce's Hot Rod Shop
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414699325.434912.jpg

Attached Files:

19. I also picked up a used 600 Edelbrock carb at the DFW swap, motor looks more complete. I would love 3x2's or dual 4's, but I think it looks pretty good for a stock motor dressed up. I might even run without a hood for a while.
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, lewk, i.rant and 1 other person like this.
  20. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey Dan, they have some BIG machines over there hu, lol ....
    Im glad you found the place and all is good,
    Hey, and Ive got a pile of ford engines laying around,

21. haychrishay

haychrishay

I like the air cleaner

22. Thanks guys, @Model A Mark I'm not against Ford engines, this one suited my budget much better. I'd love to build up a flathead for something.

23. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Id love to see you build up a Flathead for something Dan,
    Ill help you when you get ready.
    My buddy has a pile of OHV engines too, so theres lots of Ford options ..

Dan Hay likes this.
  24. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Loads of progress, loving it. Some similarities on my 40 build, swapping the exhaust manifold to clear the steering box, fan too high so gonna have to lift the rad,, good to know how much thats possible to do, and the Ford fan trick sounds cool. I've had to get mine 'built for me', just lack of time, it was going no where, at least i'll get to drive it this way. 348 with a t5, and a hurst style mount. Good call on the front motor mounts, I've been told that the Speedway ones collapse, and to use Drake or similar. Your 40 looks great, gonna be a nice ride.

Dan Hay likes this.
  25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my 40 STD I raised the radiator 2 in. and it clears the hood by about 1/2 in. on each side. That's with a stock radiator and the fill moved from the angle to the top of the tank.

Dan Hay likes this.
  26. cmarcus

cmarcus

Coming along Dan! Love it!

Dan Hay likes this.
  27. Thanks to @Model A Mark I found an old machine shop that machined my races and pressed on sleeves. They also pressed on new bearing to the ring gear and carrier, and pressed the carrier races into the bells.
    Smokin deal I think for $140. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415307358.768173.jpg

bchrismer likes this.
  28. Wrapping up the rear end overhaul. I installed a torque tube seal from Bruce's Rod Shop @hotrodpro. Drilled for a vent... I ruined FIVE axle seals before I figured out the technique. Not to mention taking the bells on and off umpteen times to set carrier preload and pinion backlash.. I still hate these old rear ends but I'm glad I did it and I learned a lot. I hope this thing works right! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418259076.427784.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418259195.910363.jpg

Checking the backlash.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418259282.544225.jpg