Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Dust Bowl Special"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bugsy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well, after drilling and filling some more cracks in this old Winfield head, I finally had some success this morning. Got all of the leaks stopped and everything buttoned back up and took her for a spin. Man…what a difference that head makes!!! She really flies!! Now, I just have to tighten up the steering and adjust the brakes and she should be good to go for the Hill Climb! She's never run better! I did end up switching out my log intake for my old Ansen as the log was running cold and I don't know what it would do in the mountains with the cold mornings. I could play around with the jets some and get it running better with the log intake, which I will do but I'm running out of time, as per usual.. Also, finally got around to making up my new plug wires. The folks at Marx set me up with the terminals, wire and even this NOS cap!! I think it all looks great and really works well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a good shot of the water neck that I fabbed up to FINALLY get the Whippet radiator to work!!
    [​IMG]

MrModelT, bambbrose and T__N__A like this.
  2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Looks great Jason! I'm getting close to firing the Sachem and I can't wait. Do you have contact info for Marx? I've been looking for a supplier for cloth wire and related goodies.

3. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, Bro!! Man…I'm diggin' the Sachem!!!
    Here's the website for them… www.marxparts.com
    GWhite put me onto them last year and they are EXCELLENT people with great service!

4. I got my ignition stuff from them to. @gwhite tuned me into them as well. Great stuff!

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well...after a couple of weeks of late nights and early mornings in the shop, I think that we're finally ready for the Hot Rod Hill Climb!! I need a deadline to get myself in gear and after not having even touched the car in months, this was just the motivation that I've needed to get going!! I won't bore everyone with the long list of items that I've done to the car but I will say that I've finally added some things that needed added and fixed some things that needed fixed. I did get the Winfield on finally and rebuilt and re-jetted one of my 94's and man...it's never run better. This was the perfect excuse to button up a lot of things that have needed tended to. We were so bummed that we missed out on this last year so we are really ready this year!! Just got her loaded up and we'll be headed to Colorado later today!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

skatermann, Outback, MrModelT and 5 others like this.
  6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks awesome buddy. i hope someone gets video of it tearing up the streets of georgetown.

gwhite likes this.
  7. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, Man! I hope someone gets a shot or two of it as well. My 8 and 6 year olds aren't really whippy with the camera yet! Wish us luck and I hope to have some good news and pics to report back with. This is going to be a blast! Race of Gentlemen is next on the list!!!!

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

9. I just checked out Geogetown and the hill climb road on Google and what a blast that road looks. Look forward to the coverage, lucky you. JW:)

10. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Just finished a great read....now I'm just waiting for the HC results & PIC's.
    GREAT job I love it!!!
    Bob

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

Oh man! :D Nice Work Bugsy!

I wish I could make both the Hill Climb and ROG this year...but I have enough on my plate getting ready for the 3,000 trip back east.

I will be rootin' for ya though!

Go get 'em Bugsy! :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

The dust bowl spl looks great with the whippet setup, still one of my favorite cars! Is the bottom end still stock A? I'm worried that a HC head won't do much without working the bottom (so I've been told). Also, what distributor are you using?

Good luck at the HC bugsy! Again, great car.
    Johnny

13. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Yup! And I'm glad I had the trailer or she would still be in the mountains!

JW...It was a really, great event!! I can't wait until next year!

Robert, I'm glad you lliked reading through this ongoing thread about the roadster...wish I had some better news about it's performance in the HC though!!

MAn....ROG would be a great trip!! You will have fun and as popular as you and your roadster have become, there will be lots of folks anxious to see you both!! Have fun Bro!!!

Jonny...thank you!!! It is a stock, bottom end on the car but I will say that when it was running good, I could tell a real difference with this 6:1 Winfield vs. a stock head. More torque and smoother power. The distributor is stock but witha modern cap. I do have a Mallory for it but just haven't had time to mess with it

14. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man....I too wish I had video of her tearing up the town.....all I have is pics of it leaking gas and it sitting there!!!

Well....we made it back in one piece and we had a great time!!! Mike sure puts on a heck of an event! I cannot say enough good about the Hot Rod Hill Climb, and not just because I'm buddys with the promoter (or becuase his dad let me try out 3 diffret 94 carbs in an attempt to get the roadster running right)! The kids and I had such a blast in Georgetown and getting to spend time with them and my buddies in such a cool place, surrounded by such cool cars, makes for a time that we won't forget! After wrenching on the roadster for a couple of weeks prior, I thought that she was 100% dialled in. I was able to complete a ton of little things that I've been wanting to for a long time. She was running better than ever....right up to the time that I backed it off the trailer in Georgetown....It was all down hill from there...(instead of up hill like it was supposed to be). The car developed a pretty severe, mid-range roughness and major carb issues. We actually tried 3, different carbs and all kinds of tricks to no avail....then had a head gasket issue. It was one thing after the other with the car. Even though she never made a single trip up the hill, we still had a blast and it has motivated me to press onto "the next evolution of the Dust Bowl".......more to come.

We made it to the mountains!
    [​IMG]

Rolled it off the trailer...drove up the hill and back and that's the last time she even remotely ran well....
    [​IMG]

This is where she lived for the rest of the trip...I have to thank Mike, Chris and Tim for all of the help working on her....
    [​IMG]

Cactus Mike (Cactus1) was kind enough to let my kids ride up the mountain with him on his second run in old 34C! Mike....you made their day!! They was SO wired after that!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well...it was dissapointing on some levels but also the best time that the kids and I have had in a long time!! The Dust Bowl is back in the garage and there's a lot in store for her in the very, near future.....I can't wait and will keep everyone posted!!!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    bct, MrModelT and Robert Crosse like this.
  15. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

I'll bet those smiles helped a lot!!!!
    That is so KOOL!
    Sorry you couldn't make a run, but you sure gave it your best shot and that counts for a LOT in my book!!

Looking forward to more chapters in this story ;)

Bob

16. This is the best post of the day !! Awesome picture with the kids! That is too cool....

17. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Man Bugs, so close! It's cool you and the kids had a good time. I've seen other fellas dang near blow a gasket after so much effort with out getting the only reward they can see. Looks like you stumbled on one anyway.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

19. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

So Cool!! Great adventure none the less - Thanks!

20. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

The "Dust Bowl" will rise again.

21. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great pics!!!

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow, man... I've been away too long. This thread is like a long lost friend. I needed the update.

The Dust Bowl Spl. has come a long way. Nice work, Bugsy!

general gow likes this.
  23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hey Bro! Good to hear from you again! Yeah...I have to remind myself sometimes about what all I've done to it. I've had all kinds of ideas as to what I want to do with it this winter.....even thought about sticking a 21 stud 8 in it. I don't think that will happen though. It would kind of kill the vibe of the car. I'm building an AV8 chassis though and will just drop a different body on it and leave the Dust Bowl with the banger. Should have some updates in the next week or so.....

24. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I was going through the same process with my ole banger, in the end decided that I would be nearly starting again if I made big changes and would loose the appeal of simplicity! You've got a grouse banger, you should be proud!

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

25. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Outback…Thank you for the compliments!! I agree with you too about losing the simplicity and feeling like yore basically starting over again if you modify it with a new engine. I've finally got a plan and spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Jim Brierley lately. He's got me going on the right track with some simple but effective mods for the banger. I'm pumped!! Now..I just need more dough!

Outback likes this.
  26. Would be great to get it sorted for Georgetown next year, do you have a date for that yet as I may be in the area then. JW

27. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

That would be cool!! It's August 14-16, this next year. Hope you can make it!!!

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  28. That cool as im planning on being at the start of speed week then going to Colorado. Hope to see you there too Jason. Way cool !! JW:)

29. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

I just love this car!
    I second the Don't lose the simplicity -approach; in my eyes the basic form of the car is now perfect, now you can refine the details.

30. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

That would be great! Hope to see you there as well. I just reserved our lodging the other day. Hopefully, the car will be in top form this time but it's such a great event either way!!

Thanks for that! Yeah, sometimes I get carried away with what I think needs to be done to it but then I just try to focus on the era that I'd like the car to represent and realize that the appeal of those car for me, was in their simplicity.

Outback likes this.