Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Divco/ Milk truck wheels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by speedway, Oct 30, 2014.

1. speedway

speedway
    from wichita ks

What would have been the most commonly run front wheels if you were running the 18 inch divco's as rear wheels on Bonneville car back in the day?

2. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

16" steelies. Chances are you were running 16s all around and would throw on the 18" wheels with bonneville tires to get a little more top end out of your car. "Divcos" or "Milk truck wheels" or more appropriately named high clearance wheels are HEAVY and would generally slow you down on the streets so they were almost certainly relegated to race use. JohnnyA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How bout a fat fender ford? Picture borrowed from the American hot rod foundation
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same car in color.
    [​IMG]

Heres one with 16" halibrands on the front
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  3. Squablow

Squablow

I had been under the impression that the 18" wheels were run in order to use the 18" speed rated tires (so they wouldn't blow out at high speed) and then you'd have to run them on all fours, but looking at those pictures, looks like they were just using them for the gear ratio change from the height. I learned something today.

4. banjorear

banjorear

Very cool. I thought I read somewhere that these are being reproduced. Is that accurate?

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

They are reproduced in billet aluminum... look pretty nice but really pricey!!!

6. banjorear

banjorear

Does anyone know what the math would be in terms of a rear end ratio reduction? Say a 3.78 rear with a 7.00 X 16" tire v. a 7.00 X 18" tire?

7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just need the rearend gear, tire diameter, a given speed, and the formula. Speed x 336 x rearend gear divided by tire diameter = rpm. For rpm's with O.D., divide by .70(or whatever % the O.D. drops gear ratio.

8. At first it was for gearing than later as speed approached 200mph cars ran the Firestone tyres on all 4 wheels two roadsters that come to mind are Bill Niekamp T and Jim Khougaz T. Going back to 1947 Stu Hilborn used indy 18" tyres on '32 Ford wire wheels (The left rear of coarse collapsed causing his crash). This maybe a reason for racers turning to the heavy High clearance wheels (Milk truck wheel).

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.
  9. I thought Kelsey Hayes made them? And were they ever on a milk truck?

10. Unfortunately Milk Truck wheel, Divco wheel is what they have become known as. In my Chev parts book from 1947 has K/H accessory wheels listed, this is the 17 split rim wheel and were available on Australian '38-'41 3/4 ton Chev trucks. A side note the same book has the '35-37 wheels listed as Artillery wheels.

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

It a shame these have become so pricey. I really want two for my next build to complete the look. The wheels on the "Gommi Roadster" are equally awe inspiring.

"I need my mirror boy"

12. www.allamericanwheel.com/milk.html

This is the company that make the Divcos. They may not be an exact copy but they are pretty good for the price IMO.

13. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

is this a "DIVCO" wheel? 17", don't remember wheel B.C.

Attached Files:

14. Clark

Clark

Mr Chevy....nope....that's a Plymouth wheel
    Clark

15. my uncle's 54/55 BVille car Scan_Pic0019.jpg ran some I think....I'll ask him....

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

thanks Clark. I have 2 of them if anybody's lookin'