Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gauge Panels- 3 hole, 4 hole, 5 hole?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dreddybear, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Ever see a 5 hole or larger? I'm talking the underdash all in a line panel.

2. I've seen the 4 but never anything with more 5 or more holes. HRP

3. alchemy

alchemy

Moon made a panel with a flat flange on top that held a large in the middle and two smaller on each side. They may have had a similar panel with two large in the center for six in a row.

4. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Stewart-Warner "Hollywood" with original restored Wings gauges & a so called "Classic" or "Navigator". Had planned to use the "Hollywood" in my '34 roadster but just couldn't bring myself to cut that perfect original dash. IMG_5369.JPG IMG_5797.JPG IMG_5797.JPG

5. John walton

John walton

Would you happen to have a spare winged "fuel level "gauge that you would sell? Thanks John email [email protected]

Tomkat39 likes this.
  6. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, Moon did indeed make those. I'll try and scan one of their old catalogs tomorrow if I can.

7. mikeymike

mikeymike

O'Brien Truckers make a five hole gauge under dash panel; they also have a neat Champion Gauge Panels.

Look at www.obrientruckers.com.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414571167.219019.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. In my opinion a "real car" needs a minimum of 5 gauges. Speedometer, gas, oil, temp and ammeter. I wouldn't expect 5 under the dash since most are already in the instrument panel. After that maybe a tachometer, vacuum and a couple of extra temperature gauges but they are just frosting on the cake.

Charlie Stephens

9. 4-holer with aviation style gauges, switch, and start button in Bill Helbing's '34 - circa 1950
    helbing.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  10. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Sorry - just the one in the panel. I will sell the whole panel, plus the tach drive Mallory distributor that I had Bubba convert for a flathead.

11. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I've got a 4 hole panel from back in the day but have not run across the 5 panel some are talking abuout

12. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Sold this one a while back, could swear I've seen them in old Moon ads.

DSCN6466.JPG DSCN6469.JPG

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  13. davesvintage

davesvintage

Stewart Warner 4 hole underdash with 3 light pods in original box.

Attached Files:

14. Muttley

Muttley

From the 1962 Moon catalog:

[​IMG]

15. Muttley

Muttley

And some enlarged scans just in case..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. alchemy

alchemy

And there you go. LOTS more undermounts than we ever remembered. Old catalogs are so cool!

porknbeaner likes this.
  17. Alchemy
    I agree 100%, you just can't beat an old catalog for the gee I don't remember that value.

In answer to the original question I am a '60s kid pretty much and for an over the counter ancillary gauge panel I don't remember seeing anything more then 4 gauges. Normally on the street what you saw were 1 single or a triple. I used to like a pair of doubles, they were easy to find on the rack at the parts counter because no one ran doubles around where I lived and I could run a pair of gauges on wither side of my column, but I have been informed that I am not normal. :eek:

loudbang likes this.
  18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You guys rule. I have a whole mess of blue gauges I want to run and not enough room! I need to find a way to run 7..

19. I've been called normal, Abby Normal. LOL

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Dreddy, have you considered putting the gauges in the header panel above the windsheild?
    This is a bad example, but shows you what I mean. Norwell did the same on his Diamond Deuce pick up
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  21. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

kick panels, trans tunnel, trunk, header panel, back of the cab going into trunk, door panels....didnt you start that funky places thread a while back?

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have, And I think it's awesome but I don't think my particular setup lends itself to this method very well. Jeff's pickup is one of my faves!

Oh they will be going in those places too!

23. Well buddy you know as well as I do that it ain't no real hot rod unless it has gauges on the firewall. :D