Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No vacuum ports on cast iron 327 intake, ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigThree, Oct 29, 2014.

1. BigThree

BigThree

OK, so I'm putting disc brakes on my '62 Chevy pickup. Engine is a stock 283 w/ a stock cast iron 4bbl intake and I'm planing on running a Vintage Speed 2x2 adapter with 2 94's. The intake I've bought is a '62 and doesn't have a port for power brakes. I figured I've got a few options and hopefully you guys can give some insight or another idea I didn't think of.

-Drill and tap a hole in the intake? Looking at it, seems like the material would be too thin for any threads to cut and might crack or break. I'd like to run the intake I have, it's a 4bbl I need with the oil fill tube on the front for my fresh air vent.

-1" spacer under the carb adapter with a vacuum port? I'm not a fan of this idea, too much stacked on the intake would look not so good.

-Electric vacuum pump? For you guys using them, how much noise do they make?

-Just exchange the adapter and run manual brakes?

2. Is their a flat spot on the intake like a boss? Cast in not drilled? You run the electric pump for vacuum will you have enough amps from the alternator to stay up? Drilled spacer don't sound to bad.

3. squirrel

squirrel

put a 4bbl on it that has a vacuum port in the back for power brakes. The funky 2 carb setup would look out of place....

JohnEvans likes this.
  4. stimpy

stimpy

you should be able to drill in the back of the carb riser plenum area as its thick as long as you do not go apeshit when tightening it down it should be ok as its just holding the fitting . and not seeing any pressure .

5. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

I would think it could be done with a spacer a good bit thinner than 1 inch.

6. bgaro

bgaro

squirrel is reading my mind.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1, Those things may be cute on Model A's with Chevy small blocks in them but why the hell set yourself up for a bunch grief just to run a cute carb setup? 3 twos I could see on that truck but a 4 barrel would be a hell of a lot more proper than the 2x2 setup.

40fordtudor and loudbang like this.
  8. BigThree

BigThree

325W: Nope, there's nothing cast on it to be drilled. Not sure how many amps those motors pull, it'd be the only electrical extra in the vehicle.

Stimpy: That is about the only place there is enough meat, there is one there on the later 60's intakes.

Thanks guys

9. oldsman41

oldsman41

buddy of mine did an electric vac pump on one of his cars i never knew it was in it and i drove it a few times very quiet dont know the maker of it though.

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

At one time chevy had a carb stud that had a hole in the middle for vacuum port. Dont have a pic right now.

hiboy likes this.
  11. saltracer219

saltracer219

That stud was for vacuum advance. The hole is way too small to support a power brake booster.

12. onthefritz

onthefritz

Anywhere on the 2x2 adapter you could tap? 90's Ford diesels ran an electric vacuum pump never had anyone at the dealership complain about the noise.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"I'm planing on running a Vintage Speed 2x2 adapter with 2 94's."
    Sell the adapter and 94's, then take the $ and buy yourself a good used aluminum intake (that has a front oil fill tube) for $50-75 or so and be done with it.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Use an alternator off a Jap Diesel, they have a vacuum pump on the rear of them.
    Then you can run the "Cam from Hell"

15. Zerk

Zerk

This is an interesting idea for some builds, using the alt/vacuum pump from an Isuzu truck or something similar.

To keep the lines short, you'd have to mount the unit high and on the same side as the booster, but vacuum isn't picky.

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I miss read the OP, that totally makes sense.

17. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Another option would be the '80's Ford Diesels, they have a belt driven vacuum pump, just ran off a single V Belt.

18. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

this is the better approach. Carbs from the 1930's/40's just not right on a 60's pickup.