Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The LeGrange Produce Tribute Truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Root:
    I read this thread before, and was surprised at the name 'LeGrange'...and even more so by the name of the town, 'Planada'.
    I'm located in Central Valley of Northern California, ("The Big Valley" LOL) approximately 60 miles North of Fresno...right in the 'Fruit Belt'.
    To my immediate North is the sleepy little town of Planada, whilst to the East is the town of LeGrange.

As your bed came from Fresno, I had to make sure you really were from O.K.! (although I knew that)
    Makes me identify with your truck...

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm still working on the seat base. It's sort of on hold. I should be back on it this weekend.

Mike, I am a full blown Okie. 3rd generation. Interesting. Is the spelling the same? Most of my searches lead me to LaGrange. Which is just a different pronunciation in French.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Not much going on lately, been traveling with work. A few pics.
    IMG_1359.jpg
    Finally rounded up all the missing pieces to convert the 57 Ford rear to a later styled brakes.

Blasted some old Ford wheels to use for my rollers until I can get some more $$ for the rear tires. I have always had good luck with the 235 70-15's fitting about the best. I had a pair laying around that were 25 years old. Will make great rollers.
    IMG_1361.jpg

Finally got it down off the frame rotisserie. It will look like I am making more progress now.
    IMG_1365.jpg

mgtstumpy and kiwijeff like this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

IMG_1367.jpg
    Sat the cab back on today. Still need to bolt it down. It's nice just to have some room to walk around now.

mgtstumpy and bchrismer like this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Such a awesome project Chris, well done brother.
    Glenn

6. jerry

jerry

Looking so good Chris!

jerry

7. Way cool, Chris!

8. Looking good Chris! Nice to start stacking stuff back together, I am sure.

9. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Dad better hurry, or you'll pass him up.....

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Can't wait to see the end result.

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hey bubba...what color and brand of paint on the wheels...I like it.

EDIT *** nevermind...I just reread this whole thread and saw it's Cadet Tan

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Looking goodly

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Actually Larry, the roller wheels are sprayed with Krylon rattle can. I found a color that is very close to the cadet tan that is on the fronts. I will spray the rear with cadet, but the for the rollers I didn't wanna spend the time on them.

3wLarry likes this.
  14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

do you remember the name of the Krylon color?

15. jedrattle

jedrattle

I like it and the idea behind it. Shaping up to be a nice little truck.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Larry, I can look tonight.

3wLarry likes this.
  17. I used a Krylon Epoxy rattlecan on some wires. Appliance paint, the color was ALMOND found at Ace hardware. They also have black, white and avocado which I used on the block in my 54.

3wLarry likes this.
  18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

thanks bubba :)

19. Ok , I like the build and mostly the reason behind it so I will tag along, way cool so far. JW:)

20. bignateokc

bignateokc

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK, not a lot going on here, but I did get a few crucial things done that will eventually hold up progress if I didn't get them knocked out. The goal is to get the frame finished up, so that I can get the bed ready to go on. I need the floor space.

So, I decided to address my used, but still usable gas tank. It was original to my 36 and it always plagued me through high school with fine rust clogging up the filters. I have been reading up on my internet mochine about using acid to remove the rust, so I figured I would give it a try.
    IMG_1374.jpg I bought a gallon of muriatic acid for cleaning a swimming pool. It was about $6. I made some cover plates to cover the fuel sender hole and the fuel pickup areas temporarily to enable me to roll it around and let the acid do it's magic.

I poured all of it in the tank at once and let it soak for about an hour, rotating it ever so often.
    rsz_img_1380.jpg
    The thing that was common on the sites most folks were complaining about was flash rust after rinsing. So what I figured I would try would be the phosphoric acid after using the muriatic acid. The muriatic acid is much faster and more aggressive, so be careful with it. This next pic is not going to be much help, but I just wanted to show you what it took out of the tank. his was a clear liquid to start with. Don't breathe this crap. Don't get it on the concrete either.
    rsz_img_1381.jpg
    So, I decided to dump the contents into this bucket and then neutralize it with baking soda. I bought the giant boxes at the dollar store. Then I rinsed with water and just as I had read it flash rusted instantly. So, I used the phosphoric acid (Ospho) to convert the metal which puts a protective coating on the steel. It's a lot slower, so I just used it for a follow up.
    rsz_img_1377.jpg
    I think if I ever do it again, I will skip the rinse with water and just add the Ospho and use that as a rinse agent, then after the coating has taken hold, rinse that with water. It eliminates the flash rust step. I put the Ospho in for about 8 hours. I was working in the shop, so I would occasionally go out and rotate it. It came out like new and I think for about $25, it was worth saving. One thing I forgot was, that after I had rinsed the Ospho out with water, I hung it upside down for about 4 hours, letting it drain, then I put about a gallon of gas in it and sloshed it all around to kind of get a little petroleum base on it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  22. Dude, great info on the tank clean. Thank you, and I will try the same !! Great timing for this cold ass weather !

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am a little out of order, but it makes more sense this way.
    I added a later styled pickup tube to the tank that allows for a return line if I ever need it. I buy these from Tanks, Inc in Iowa. I buy a ring to install them and the pickup itself. I think the pickup is about $20 and the ring seems lie it was about $6. I add this incase I ever want to have an electric pump in the system. The stock pickup tube is only 5/16" and designed for an 85 HP flathead. This has a larger 3/8" pickup and return.
    IMG_1370.jpg rsz_img_1369.jpg

I found a holesaw that was close, threw a little grease on the teeth to minimize the shavings and went to town. Then I laid the ring over the top of the skin and drilled in my holes. I clecoed it in place, making sure I knew which way it was oriented before I removed it.
    rsz_img_1372.jpg
    The ring ends up on the inside of the tank. I shot mine in with a countersunk aluminum solid rivet. The ring is threaded to allow you to screw your new pickup tube to it.

IMG_1413.JPG
    I just wiped it down with the Ospho, which is basically the same thing as metal prep, and spray bombed it.
    rsz_img_1431.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I decided to give some attention to the cab area. I knew I was going to have to get the seat riser finished, so that I could get everything else set up, column height etc. I started looking at the portion of bracing that had been apparently cut out with a Sawzall in it's life. I'm guessing it was mangled or cracked beyond repair. I had a piece of 1.5" x 1" tubing in the scrap pile. I used it to replace the old channel that was missing. I decided to replace the original wooden floorboards with a new and improved plywood floor. I used 3/4" instead of the 1/2" Henry used. It's actually quite a bit of heat and sound resistance, as compared to a piece of steel sheetmetal, plus it's a lot faster and since this is a shop truck..... IMG_1428.jpg
    I still need to cut the plywood for the tranny clearance etc. but this will do for now. I used the template to locate a piece of 1.25" angle I use to replicate the brace that originally held the floor in place. This is way more substantial. It will be there long after I am gone.
    IMG_1429.jpg
    The tank goes behind the brace and acts as the seat riser. The hard part is going to be getting out some of the broken off screws in the factory nutplates.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  25. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

Great build.........

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. It's pretty low buck.

27. They are often the best builds and this is proof of that !!:D JW

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

The weather has been kinda crappy, so I had a break today when it warmed up a bit.
    One of the things that was holding me up was getting the dash squared away. I am planning on driving this daily, so gauges are important. As cool as the vintage gauges are, I need accuracy. I have settled on Omega gauges, they are built in the US and are pretty affordable. They make a speedo that fits in the factory hole, which has never been available to my knowledge. The speedo hole is 4 3/8" and the smaller gauges are 2 3/8". I needed to step these holes down to 2 1/16, so we had to come up with something. My dad, who is the scrounger of the family, found these big washers.
    IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg
    We have an old 1940's Atlas tabletop lathe that is pretty handy. We turned these washers down into bushings. It's sort of like a hat bushing. You press it in from the back and then tack it into the dash.

IMG_1445.jpg
    View attachment 2769266
    It's hard to tell, but this is after I tig welded the ring in place. The hit it with a grinder, just to knock the top off.

IMG_1446.jpg
    Then just add a skim coat of filler and it looks factory.
    IMG_1453.JPG

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    mgtstumpy and kiwijeff like this.
  29. Looks good! I need more tools...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. TGallaher

TGallaher