Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Convert Dodge flat 6 into an air compressor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turboroadster, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Heres my plan and I am open to suggestions.
    I have a 230/6 flathead with a bad rod, I want to remove the rod and piston, leaves me with 5 good ones, then remove the valves.
    then get a 1/2 plate steel and cut a new head so to speak, in each of the 5 cylinders, I plan on threading 2 holes in the plate and in these I will screw in brass check valves, one manifolded to the other 4 so it lets them suck filtered air in the cylinder on the down stroke and one check valve installed in each facing the other direction and they would be manifolded to feed a supply tank.
    I have another small OHV 6 banger that I want to mount side by side and have the running 6 spin the dodge 6 via pulleys mounted on the flywheels.
    Am I nuts?

2. snaptwo

snaptwo

Not , but someone used a 302 ford to do the same thing , special head on one bank .

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yes, you are nuts.

4. Hard to say but you probably are nuts.
    But it will pump air if you do it right and you wouldn't the first.

Have you seen the recent schramm compressor thread?

5. nope, I did a search but didnt know what to look for I guess. I'm definitely not the first to do it, I have seen the 302 conversions but I am just using the stuff I have around, theoretically it should work since every piston downstroke is sucking in air and every upstroke is pushing out air, should be a decent amount of cfm's 50+ range I would think. I was hoping someone has some sort of experience with something close

6. ok, well then, I will indeed build this critter and some real world data we will have, I will set it on a trailer made from a 48 willys truck frame and bed, cause I have it laying around also.
    Some check valves from McMaster-carr and the piping construction and an air compressor will be born.

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I wonder if you could do a two-stage setup, with three cylinders pre-charging the other two?

8. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Why don't you just sell the Willys truck frame and bed and buy yourself a new compressor.

9. Whats the fun in that?

Ben

turboroadster likes this.
  10. have you priced compressors that will do average 90 psi and provide 60 cfm's of working air? I figured I have all this stuff sitting around, might as well make a budget rig, if it works and I think it will, I will put a relay and solenoid on it that at a set pressure it will idle down and idle up when needed. Last I checked, willys frames are a dime a dozen, might as well repurpose all this stuff into something creative and useable.

11. I think this would put more stress on the rings when it will already provide at least 125 psi or more and I'd bet with the big outdoor blaster I have it will still average 90 psi easily and provide a lot of cfm's and thats what you really need to move media.

12. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Do you think you will have to retain the cooling system? I'll really be interested in how your idea works out. Please keep us updated!!

13. It will need something as far as a cooling system. It will take a while but the friction alone will build up too much heat.

14. I think so too, I was planning on feeding the block at the back with a small 3/8-1/2 line and out the front with the same and plumb it via small pump into and out of the radiator trans cooler on the 6 banger that drives it all. Wont be a lot of flow but it would be water movement and I think more than enough to keep it cool, since I have no combustion going on. It will also be circulating its own oil supply like normal and that also provides cooling to wear items. Should spin along nicely and with no worries....I'm hoping I have thought it all out.

On the other hand, the other 3 compressors I have are twin cylinders, they have zero water to keep them cool, they have an oil crankcase and that is all. the compression of air makes heat as well, I think I will be fine with my idea, but time will tell.

15. stimpy

stimpy

2 do a 2 stage you have to have cylinders of a smaller size to bump up the pressures , part of the laws of hydraulics .

on doing this you will be limited on pressure and you will suck some oil and do not forget to make the cooling system operational as it will be needed . do not interconnect them . but you might want to interconnect the oil pans to help boil off water condensation in the compressor .

16. I tried this with an old Wisconsin single cylinder. Worked great for about 30 seconds, then quit pumping. I had gotten a hold of some check valves that had plastic balls in them, balls ended up in the tank.
    After getting good valves it worked fairly well, but seemed to use a lot of power for the air volume I got out of it.

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

That's why I was thinking 3 into two as a strategy for differential displacement.
    I have no idea offhand what the usual differential in displacement might be for a 2-stage.

As far as the efficiencies are concerned, I didn't expect such a setup to be very efficient unless it was made a two-stage.

I own a one-lung 110/220 I-R electric that did 4 CFM at 90psi on it's best day & is now some 30 years in service. But it's made for 100% duty cycle . Also being a 1950's design I expect it's completely rebuildable.

I'm considering a sandblasting cabinet, & It's going to require something more to be worthwhile. I've got this twin cyl engine that I had considered converting, but I really doubt it'd be worth it.