Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dropped Axles and front ends in general

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BiscayneBrain, Oct 20, 2014.

1. I personally like the 32 heavy the best but they are rare and pricy. The 33 to 36 axles are more common and also look good when dropped. Both of these axles have 2" tall spring perch bosses and will work with the 32 to 36 wishbones. I like the 35/35 bones because they mount a little higher to the axle and this give more clearance for the tie rod. Even so, you will most likely have to heat and drop the steering arms a bit.

The model A axle is also a good choice. However, it has a 2.25" tall spring perch boss and it will only work with Model A or the various 37 to 48 bones which some builders prefer. Note, the Model A axle can be machined to work with 32 to 36 bones but this is an added expense that you can avoid by using a 32 to 36 axle.

37 to 41 "round back" spindles will work with Lincoln brakes with a bit of grinding. 42 to 48 "square back" spindles are a better fit and what I use when I use Lincoln backing plates. Occasionally I will have to do some very minor clearancing with a file to get the square back spindles nice and tight on the spindle.

So, my recommendation is a 32 to 36 axle with 35 or 36 wishbones and 42 to 48 spindles.

2. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Came in for tech and got to view some awesome machines. I dig this forum!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Tony...Your definitely helping and your contribution have been great.
    Bib Overalls...Thanks for more tech and direction
    No question, all you guys have given me a quick education and it's fully appreciated. I'll have more questions on other ideas, but for right now searching for an engine, diff and front end is enough to keep me busy. So far I've got a '39 top loader and '35 wires(really want '40 Ford wheels). I'll also be on the hunt for a coupe or pick up once I sell my off topic car.

4. Here's a quick flatty for you.
    it took 2 minutes to find.
    I have no connection at all.
    $2000 for rebuilt ready to install.
    You can probably get it cheaper.
    I just took a quick look.
    They are still out there all over.
    Good luck.
    On CL.
    Here is the listing it says Chicago

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been studying and looking at pictures of dropped axles under the front of A's . Then I read the thread about Snoopy the survivor found in a garage . I like the look of the 40 Ford axle with the stock bones . Any more pictures of 40 bones with the spring in front being used ?

Denns1989 likes this.
  6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Post #30-What did it set you back to get that axle dropped?? Looks real good.

7. CTAV8

CTAV8

We got a reversed eye Model A starter leaf that we de-arched a little and removed 3 leaves (actually relocated top to bottom). Car had 10 when we got it, likely an incorrect p.u. spring, so now we have 7. You can't see much in this pic except how it sits. IMG_1550.JPG

8. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Tony
    I've been eying it up, but it's out of my engine budget right now. I'm looking for a low mileage, good running engine that's being removed for a new power plant. I found a really nice one and lost the guys number and can't track the guy down. I'm really mad at myself. I also lost out on an axle. Lesson learned!
    Dean

9. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Ok, so I have been looking around and am having trouble with the whole drop axle thing. I have a 28 Tudor I am building with fenders. What width axle do I want, have 1950 F1 brakes, and 40's 16 wheels.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. CTAV8

CTAV8

An axle that is correctly dropped is also stretched to maintain it's original width. So a properly done Model A axle will still have the same track dimension and will work nicely for you.

11. mink

mink
    from CT

Ctav8 what wishbone are you using, do you have a shot of your bellyband

12. LOUIELOUIE

LOUIELOUIE

Put me down for Tonys post at #16 that coupe has got it nailed

Posted using my misses bra as a sling shot!!!

Tony Martino likes this.
  13. Thanks Louie!
    my buddy Geoffrey gets credit for the build, done in his 10' X 15' shed!

14. LOUIELOUIE

LOUIELOUIE

No problems Tony,
    You've got to pay credit where it due!!! And 30-31 coupes on 32 rails as we all know is a sweet sweet thing!!!
    In my mind what makes yours though is the combo and the stance, now we can't get that wrong in this type of build can we!!!

Posted using the Misses bra as a slingshot

15. 10658697_344524592387805_5710720908627584837_o.jpeg Stance is very important.
    Unless you figure out what wheel and tire sizes you will run you can't
    start lowering. My car is down about 6 inches front and rear.
    With 7-50-16 rear and 5-60-15 front, what results is the rake/stance you see.
    I am now running 9-50-14s on both front and back and there is no rake at all.
    Different stance, different era, even different attitude!
    Same car!
    But I'm lucky I like them both!
    And I don't have to please anybody but me!

16. BTW, CTAV8, Your car is Perfect!!!!!
    Love it!

17. CTAV8

CTAV8

Right back at you, bro. Feel the same way about yours. What's really neat is how different they are from each other but with same body and similar motor.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not afraid of the tie rod bending at the bends? Toe probably moves around a bunch too?

19. CTAV8

CTAV8

Mink, we're running a stock Model A wishbone, original to the car. I just made a lame attempt to take pics of the band and hope it makes some sense to you. Included the rough design sketch which is what we ended up fabbing except ditched the bottom curvature and squared it up. The thinking was that it matched better in design with '32 style K-member we got from Vern.
    What part of CT you from? Belly Band.jpg IMG_1005.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1004 b.JPG

Okie Pete likes this.
  20. CTAV8
    You got that late 40's high school kid's car
    thing nailed.
    He was lucky 'cause he got the flatty in there
    and he still didn't worry too much about stopping!
    Way cool!
    And the sinister black body, black wheels, no
    stinkin' white walls, tells the story.
    And ne could have fabed that wishbone drop
    in shop class.
    you really get it!
    Again Perfect!

21. CTAV8

CTAV8

Well, Tony, it actually was a high school kid's car...my son's. We got the car when he was 15 and built it together. He did drive it to school as a stripped down banger while we were building the flathead. Then did the heart transplant over the winter his senior year and he drove it in the spring up to graduation.
    He did fab the belly band but here, not in shop. He built a motorcyle in shop. He did all the work actually...welding and fabbing. I mean he's the one that really gets it.

22. CTAV8

CTAV8

Yeah, no...you know, I was thinking the same thing and checked the toe about a month ago but it hasn't budged and we've been running it 4 years......not a million miles, but enough for a problem to show up. The Model A tie rod, which is what we used with a lengthening splice at the center, is a really thick wall tube. Like others, I'm convinced the old iron on these cars is amazing. Lots of vanadium alloy stuff all over the place on Model A's.
    The other thing I learned about trying to set with toe with wire wheels is there's quite a bit of runout in the rims so we made up a set of toe plates and set it off the spindles. I don't see how you can set it off the tires or inner face of rim but a lot of guys do.

23. prpmmp

prpmmp

Man I want a Model A!!!! Pete

24. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

CTAV8...Thanks for the thorough explanation on the belly band. Your son's coupe is really killer.
    I gotta get me a coupe!

25. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

This setup does not look structurally sound. In a hard stop almost the entire weight of the car will be pushing back against the ball mount. Think it would be a good idea to consider so braces running back at an angle to carry the load.

26. mink

mink
    from CT

Thanks for sharing, I'm in middlesex county how about yourself

27. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

IMO Dropped and drilled axles looks great.

28. Bader2

Bader2

Did the same thing for wishbone mount,just copied the dimensions of a deuce k member and bolted it in. Used a 4" drop so cal axle and a 32 wishbone(unsplit) reverse eye spring,juice brakes.works excellent,15000 miles and not one problem ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414334840.242483.jpg
    4.50/7.50x16 tires,16x4,16x5 rims,38 rear,spring behind.

snopeks garage and wedjim like this.
  29. CTAV8

CTAV8

YW, Mink. I'm in sw corner of Fairfield County in Cos Cob.

30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have captured THE LOOK that so many coupe owners strive for. Bitchin', and I'm not from California.