Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. goneflyin

goneflyin
    from ontario

Hi Jerry,
    The third brush is there so that you can adjust the charge current. It will likely be mounted on a sliding brush holder for adjustments. If you can leave it in place, it's handy for making fine charge rate adjustments.

2. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

If you can use a variable resister to find out what your fuel gauge requires to make it read exactly full, and exactly empty, I may be able to help you find a float resister that would make your fuel gauge read correctly. You would have to fit it to your existing pick up, but after what you have done on that red rocket, that you could do with your eyes closed. It looks great.

3. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

I have lost track of the voltage of the speedster, so please forgive me for that. If I remember, you have a driveshaft between the
    OK, so you have a 12 volt starter, and an exposed shaft on the clutch at the transmission brake. Why not get a hub from a clutch disc that fits that shaft, and weld a pulley to it and then mount an alternator to the frame, and let the old generator just look pretty. Seems that it would be damn hard to ever see that alternator mounted there.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hey guys, sorry I've been taking care of all kinds of other things but I did find aneat video of our trip to Caffeine and Octane. You have to skip to about 13:50. The music and camera work is kind of cool.

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

Here's another one of Neil and me when we were leaving.

Jerry
    The speedster is sorta of done--there's always stuff to do)--and as fate would have it I have a chance to buy a neat car in a box. I can't tell you what it is until the deal is final. I'll know a week from Saturday. Pictures if it goes down.
    Jerry

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The suspense is killing us Jerry. o_O

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

waiting with baited breath o_O:rolleyes::eek::oops::confused:

8. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

You had sushi for lunch?

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. spell check won't catch that one.
    bated

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Good one, Ulu :p

11. A car in a box, eh? :confused:

OK. I'm going to guess either a King Midget or a Gogomobil. :rolleyes:

12. SR100

SR100

You found a Martin Dart! Dart.jpg

13. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

Jerry, as great as the speedster is, what you need to really fit in with most of the crowd there is a spoiler. I big giant spoiler. Think of the wing off of a Cessna. I could be wrong, but it seems there were very few vehicles there without spoilers. Maybe made out of wood, and stained to match the back of the speedster. :)

14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Better yet, a wing off of a Curtis Jenny! Wood ribs and fabric covered! :D

15. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

I'd say you need some new tires! Waiting on the car in the box.........

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Tires.

...And a matching teak decked Chris Craft on a trailer. ;)

17. yonahrr

yonahrr

I've always had this hankering to build a full sized mock up of a Sopwith Camel ( you gotta love that name) and put it on a pole outside my shop. How hard could it be? A bunch of 1 x 2's, some SS wood screws, a little plywood and some muslin.
    Jerry
    I got the word things are looking good for the big deal. Hint: It's British.

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't know about your tastes Jerry, but I'd love to have a Morgan three wheeler. :)

19. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

002.JPG Strange that you mention a biplane, there is one in my barn waiting for you. I have the wings in a glider trailer. It is a stagger wing, fabric covered biplane with a Continental 4 cylinder engine. I bought it from an estate whose heirs burned the log books for 5 planes in "cleaning up". The plane therefore cannot fly legally again. Idiots!!!
    It can come with a Seagrave truck.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Hmmm...I think there's a way around this, but it has to be licensed as "experimental" or some such . . . I dunno . . . I don't do A&P--Just a right seat dummy, too blind to solo anymore. :oops:

21. i always wanted to mount an old plane "nosed in" and turn it into an outdoor grill with the tail as a chimney.....but it would probably look like a wreck and keep 911 busy.

22. Jerry, this big deal wouldn't have anything to do with the railroad, would it?

23. yonahrr

yonahrr

Jack, is there anything you don't have stashed away in a barn somewhere? Hey, pick up day has been moved to tomorrow!! I love that plane. Continental! Isn't a cast iron 4 cylinder? Are you sure it flew? Oh wait, I'm thinking of a different Continental engine. Okay, how much?

Jerry

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  24. yonahrr

yonahrr

Jack, I got the ID plates back from the Michael at the sign shop. The etching will begin soon. Uh, you may have to stand on your head.
    Jerry

Attached Files:

25. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,
    There are numerous things I do not have stashed; money, space, restraint are near the top of the list!
    The plane is taking space currently needed - to you $500 US . The engine is a boxer type 4 cylinder.
    The plates are looking wonderful!
    We all cannot wait to see the new toy!

Jack

26. yonahrr

yonahrr

Just got word the car pick has been pushed back to Sat again.

Jerry

Love that plane! I need to plan an international trip.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  27. F6 project

F6 project
    from Mexico

Hey Jerry, I need a pair of plates
    for my Seagrave too!!!
    Where did you get them? I am thinking to lower my steering wheel, any idea how difficult this is? Now arround 45 deg.
    I lowered fuel consumption of the F6 to 2,5 mpg...seems to be the best I can do. Mostly when engine runs on higher rpm the consumption rises to the double. As I am in MX it is quite hard to find 900.20 tires. Do you know somebody I may contact?
    have a grat weekend!

karsten
    Seagrave F6 1929

28. Jerry-

Before you tell F6 anything, insist that he post some bigger pictures here of whatever that is in his avatar! ;) We need more info!

F6-

Welcome to the HAMB! :D

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

[QUOTE=". As I am in MX it is quite hard to find 900.20 tires. Do you know somebody I may contact?

Karsten,

9.00 X 20" tires are a common size found on school busses. A bus company might be a good place to start looking.

I think we all would like to see pictures of your F6.

Jack

karsten
    Seagrave F6 1929[/QUOTE]

30. F6 project

F6 project
    from Mexico

Thank you for your answer. i will,upload some pics asap.

karsten
    Seagrave F6 1929