Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. two farmers, sitting across from each other, at a banquet table at a farm convention were comparing differences and similarities at their respective ranches. the farmer from texas in his ten gallon hat and bolo tie states; "pard'ner, i get up in the morning, i get in my car and drive till high noon before i reach the border of my ranch"
    farmer in overalls from new england replies; "ahyup, i had a cah like that.....i junked it"
    .......sorry

BradinNC, volvobrynk and gwhite like this.
  2. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Just read through the entire thread, knowing how enjoyable Chevy hot rods are to own and see smaller coverage on 'em! My '31 Chevy 5 window was also a survivor, built in the late '60's. Also had a '61 Chevy 283, Turbo 400 and a '63 ham rear with 4:11 gears. Your '33 has been quite a great story, more so that you're dad is helping with the "rejuvenation"! SUBSCRIBED!

3. Mike, any pictures? a friend of mine has a 31 coupe and he has run the wheels off it. he calls the car "summer song".

4. F&J

F&J

5. worked on the front turn signal lights today. i welded a SS angle bracket to a two inch piece of
    ss 1 inch pipe i then sanded and polished it, to look like part of the headlight bars. i then installed a small led light. this light is like the one i put in the top of the headlight except it has an extra "crystal" and is brighter. DSCF3500.JPG DSCF3502.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. i know this is not traditional, but my goal was to make them hidden. using the pipe about the size of the headlight bar i think makes them blend in and these lights are small with only a little black rim. hiding something can be easy, but when in use these need to be SEEN.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. small. sorry having trouble up loading photos today. DSCF3504.JPG DSCF3501.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. the extra "crystal" allows the light to be just as bright from the side, even more than a 90 degree angle. DSCF3505.JPG DSCF3508.JPG DSCF3509.JPG DSCF3505.JPG DSCF3508.JPG DSCF3509.JPG DSCF3506.JPG DSCF3507.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. here is what the lights on the back of the headlight looks like. these will flash with with the turn signal. DSCF3510.JPG DSCF3511.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. I see the light!:cool:

11. Nice job! The main thing is if all the other drivers can see your signal. I think you've accomplished that and kept the originality of the 33.
    Tom

12. F&J

F&J

Try it outside at night with low beams on.... I wonder if they can be seen?

I was going to put lights there, but figured "they" would never see them, and smash me :)

I might get banned if I show where mine are on the 32 ford

13. They will show because they are amber. I have mine in the headlight reflector and they show, again because of the different color.

14. "i travel light, just not at the same speed" Jared Kintz.

15. thanks, my thought is they can be taken off easily, well ... the ones in the back of the light would have to welded up but easier than fixing damage from somebody that is confused by hand signals.

16. now i have to go out and check....pictures to follow.....

17. F&J

F&J

I looked at the pics of your shop, trying to see if the car was blocked in tonight. I saw the lift, so I figured you might get it out.

How many garage doors? My son is helping me create two more workbays by installing two more doors, and likely two more doors next spring for storage bays. All my cars were always "in storage areas", blocked in.

18. i have one "main" 10' door in the gable end of the barn, off set to one side. body room/booth are the far 1/3 . there is also a door centered in the broad side of the barn. i posted a photo earlier in this thread of that door.

Attached Files:

19. i have another building i store cars in.
    i think when the light is flashing it will show up well. it is bright! the camera created some glare in the photo that is not seen in person. the light is easier to see than a hand signal at night

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. F&J

F&J

pic 2 looks much more promising than pic 1. Now I see the "amber" effect like was said...

I guess the front is not the big issue compared to the rear taillights/brake lights

Around my area, they are either daydreaming or texting, or...

21. photo of the side light; DSCF3515.JPG

ct1932ford likes this.
  22. second picture is with the garage lights off.
    last saturday, middle of the day, i had a car end up in my yard within 10 feet of hitting my house. i heard a crash, THEN, a horn blowing and looked out my window to see the car coming across the hay field, AT SPEED. i watched the car jump a drainage ditch go over some hedges before the hill on the SIDE of my house stopped her forward motion and the car coasted back into the shrubs. "she did not know what happened". confusing? on a straight away she veered off the side of the road, drove over 50' of hedgerow, while wiping out the fencing, then drove 200' across the hey field before hitting the ditch.
    the spot on the SIDE of my house that she almost hit is 200 feet from the road.....there is no safe place.

ct1932ford likes this.
  23. F&J

F&J

the side lights might save your car someday, on the highway especially.

I think mine will be too small, except for night time

24. what did you use?

25. F&J

F&J

Vintage aftermarket "fender" lights? Chrome kinda-bullet shape; on very short stands, with a clear jewel lens front, and a very small red jewel on the rear tip

26. i like it
    happy halloween! DSCF3528.JPG

ct1932ford likes this.
  27. Wow you've lost weight! Better eat more Halloween candy!

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  28. Would have been good photo for the Friday Art Show!(Frightnight Art Show)