Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Automotive TV shows 2014...need your input please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lump, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lump

lump

I am trying to set up a restoration project for a TV celebrity, and would like to have it happen on a popular automotive TV show, showing the step-by-step total rebuild of a car. I had some things in the works for this last year...and then SPEED VISION went away, and the world of automotive TV shows has been going through some shake-ups since then. Could you please tell me your favorite old-car-oriented TV show, in 2014? Thanks so much!

2. To be perfectly honest I've grown tired of the restoration reality car shows,,they all start looking and sounding alike. JMHO. HRP

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. Velocity TV is excellent. I like all the shows on the 2 different stations I watch EXCEPT Phantom Works

4. lump

lump

Thanks, HRP. I do understand. My client had some really good response from projects with a certain show, back when that show was on SPEED CHANNEL. But since then, not so much. This one might be a really cool opportunity for everyone, if I can find a way to pull it off. But I just don't know which TV show to approach.

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Stacey David moved Gearz over to MAV TV, but you gotta have the sports package to get it on Cable. Velocity has A LOT more exposure and budget.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Was asked to watch 'Gas Monkey' with a pal. That 'ringleader' has more rings than a V-16!
    I now have serious misgivings about the pal. He said "Watch this show, you could learn something."
    Think I learned more at a goodguise fest.

7. You need to chose your friends more carefully.

8. Foose is still a class act without all the fake car theft nonsense. HRP

40fordtudor and patmanta like this.
  9. First rule ... have people directing the show who know something about building cars. The soap opera shit about deadlines and fighting between workers is not something I'm interested in seeing.
    It could be edited so the build in real time but just show me what they did and how they did it.

550Coupe likes this.
  10. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

There's no question that the producers of most of the shows that have gone by the wayside felt that drama was needed , but it was usually over done . And I really never understood how the producers could possibly think that a script where every other word was beeped ( the F word) was entertaining. Stupid yes, entertaining no. I know it wasn't perfect but I did like Gas Monkey Garage.

11. lump

lump

WD40, I totally agree. I cannot stand to listen/watch arguing and/or bickering, etc. Life has way too much drama already, without that on a TV show.

To be clear, in this case, I am wanting to find an existing show which would be a good venue to show an individual project. Well-known car, well-known owner; car is REALLY rough. I already have full support of parts suppliers and highly-skilled labor for the build. Just trying to find a suitable TV show to present the project to. I'll be at SEMA in a week or two, meeting with various participants for this show, and was hoping to invite a TV producer to the meeting. Thanks SO much for any input you can offer!!

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Overhauling has the most true car guys.

40fordtudor likes this.
  13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

To much drama and not enough about the cars and what it takes to build one. If I had to chose between the two shows currently on that I know of Fast N Loud and Counting Cars, I'd go with Counting Cars. Danny seems to be passionate about the cars they do. Although I don't particularly like his tastes in cars.

14. prpmmp

prpmmp

Sunday mornings at 9am eastern time on spike TV. 4 half hour shows, 4 wheel show,engine power,trucks,muscle car. All tech no drama. I think its Powernation!! Good stuf but they go thru some of the tech fast but still informative!! Years ago there was a show ( two car garage) and one of the host has his own shop( can't think of his name, Brian?) He was in the works for a real tech show!! Pete

15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Car Crazy with Barry Meguiar, or shoot for Jay Leno's Garage whenever that goes into production.

16. I have been enjoying watching Dave Kindig on "Bitchin Rides" but I'm not sure they go into the kind of detail you might want. He does build $uper nice cars though.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Working in a restoration shop is nothing like what you see on the TV shows, with the exception of Chasing Classic Cars with Wayne Carini. I do like Chip Foose and Overhauling, but would really like to know how the bare metal to finish paint jobs look 2-3 years later, and do the cars ever see the street after the build? Bob

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Full Custom Garage on MavTV is the only show I can watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.