Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fan clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CHOPTOP_T, Oct 21, 2014.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

bare metal 29 005.JPG Hey, I don't care what kind of fan set up anybody wants to run, I just wanted to show you can run a mechanical fan and have a fairly low trans tunnel too...

CHOPTOP_T likes this.
  2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sorry HRP, but I've seen plenty of 32's running mechanical fans and not look high or have a tall tunnel...

3. My sedan has a very low tunnel similar to yours but I did have to use a zips to center the fan on my radiator on both my sedan & pickup. HRP

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Except for a panel right above the trans. shift cover, I have no trans tunnel. and the floor is level with top of frame.

CHOPTOP_T likes this.
  5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

When I worked at Brookville Roadster they set their frames up to have a low trans tunnel because that's what most customers wanted but it required an electric fan or Zip's.. I guess it depends on what a person wants..

6. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Im using those same sbc motor mounts and looks to be mounted in the same place and my fan is lower than that it could be where i got my radiator from thats making it difficult as well being it has the trans cooler built into the bottom of it.

7. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

This here is a 14" fan if i go any bigger ill this trans cooler lines. Even it i changed the trans cooler lines to braided and 90 them dow a bigger fan say a 16 or 17 would then be choppin thru my low rad hose

Attached Files:

8. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Whatever i can make work i will.

Attached Files:

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You might try a spacer between the engine and frame mounts to raise the motor a little and one at the trans but that will probably necessitate reworking the trans tunnel.. I like the chop ...

CHOPTOP_T likes this.
  10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I can't tell if your frame is stock or aftermarket but you might be able to notch the front cross member to get the radiator to sit lower.. It would be a little work but may be enough to help.. It also looks like there's enough room to run a Zip's unit which would solve all your problems but they are expensive.. Good luck with whatever you decide.. Keep us posted...

11. Remember,your radiator is taller than a 28/29. HRP

12. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I have an idea. Could you build a spacer (with or without accessory mounts, as needed) that would look like a zip riser, & mount it in the same position as a zip riser but still use your stock water pump? It would be alot cheaper & if done well could look the same. You could probably use 1/8 plate & stock gaskets. I'm guessing 20 bucks & alittle time in the garage.

13. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

My frame is stock 28/29 has a 1 1/2 z in the back. No trans tunnel flat floor. Well with sitting here staring at the space btwn the rad and engine for a while. i was able to to do some slight trimming on the electric fan shround and get what i thing is enough room for it to work. Although i do like the sound and look of the zips. Plus the zips is cheaper than the "sidewinder elec fan" ive seen zips for 300 with everything and a sidewinder is 450. Plus mech fans dont bother me. Well actually niether do i just want what ever works. Ive been workin on this for 5years and would like to get it out and drive a bit. This is my first build. thanks to everyone taking interest in it. I've had guys on the hamb tell me to stop building or my car looks "ratty", in which case my car may not be traditional or some show quality winner. Way i look at it is at least im not building one of those hatchback honda civic crx and calling it a racecar lol.

14. In the big scheme of things, a Zips riser is relatively small potatoes no?

And I think your car is pretty damn cool. Lots of guys don't have any vision and can't see past the end of their nose much less what a project will look like completed. This goes for critics and builders. Some guys will walk into the kitchen right in the middle of having their dinner prepared and ask " why is this place such a mess." They deserve to get a kick in the pants and to go hungry. When you invite us into your garage , truly the same mentality applies there as well.

CHOPTOP_T likes this.