Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Thanks Scott yea the car is a little bit of a hand full until about half way through 2nd gear she settles down a little. if I could get it out of the hole she would have the et to match the mph hopefully next year. The 9 sec slip was in street form also had the baffles in the pipes, low boost, and pump gas so I know there is a lot more power to be found if I get the chassis better. It only makes like 7 pounds of boost the way its set up now the motor is still pretty fresh I blew it up a little over a month before the meltdown and haven't got many miles on it since.

2. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Stokedstang-

Awesome to see that coupe in the 9's...maybe some other hemi coupe will pair up with you at next years Meltdown...that would be a great match race!

beebee78 and powrshftr like this.
  3. powrshftr

powrshftr

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ps:
    Some parts came in yesterday for the Shaker.

The Okie Doker is a Dead Duck;)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Strokedstang - was looking through your album at that bad ass hemi, what timing cover is that? When you broke the engine what broke?

6. It's a magnesium Thompson timing cover. Motor got messed up between loosing oil pressure in the shutdown area and trying to make power I kept turning up the boost and leaning on it it finally beat the bearings clean out of it had to have the crank turned and had to put new rods in it they were in pretty tough shape. After I tore it down I found out y it didn't make any power Herbert sent me the wrong cam and hot heads set the heads up with the wrong springs. It went 1/2 sec faster with stock heads and small cam. But she's working rite now still have a little oil pressure problem in the shut down area I got to work on but it's got a lot more in it that's for sure. Next year it will have a full cage and some other suspension changes hopefully we can line the et up with the mph thanks for all the compliments guys

II FUNNY and beebee78 like this.
  7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Love that little coupe. Loud and fast makes it so much better... There's a phone booth body and frame available locally that has me tempted to build something similar... Of course that would put it in line with the Scout, Prefect, my current wagon project, future Falcon project (my Brother's) my dream of a Gasser style Austin pu.... etc etc etc

beebee78 and enloe like this.
  8. Maybe I better put the blower motor in the J, you guys are hauling ass !

9. Your car was one of my favorites at the Meltdown! It's all business. Just what I'm shooting for with my little truck.

10. Organ pipe speaker covers? They are a little bit Huggie Bear cool, but they don't make ya faster.

loudbang likes this.
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Damn.....I keep bolting on all the stuff from the J.C. Whitney catalog,but the car never seems to get any faster...!:(

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

It doesn't even have a radio or a heater Ricardo.....just delete plates:)

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

13. OldColt

OldColt

I don't have a dog to put in this fight. My last pass down the strip was in 1992. For health reasons I just have to be a spectator now days.

I Just want to comment on how cool it is seeing guys having a lot of fun racing with home brewed race cars.

In this day and age of mega dollar cookie cutter race cars with store bought parts in such an ultra competitive enviroment ... well, I suspect most of them have simply lost the ability to just have fun racing.

--- Steve ---

14. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Racing? We figured we had to bring a car to the track just so we could drink beer with these guys.

30dodgeboy and loudbang like this.
  15. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Powershttr-

The only way those parts are going to help you is if they say "GM" on them...All that cold weather up north must be making you a little delirious...

16. since there is no 2017 thread yet... i will post this here lol.[​IMG]

1964 falcon. My father and I are going to build it as period correct b gas car for 1965 (as close as we can get) and to the south east gasser rule book. hopefully will be powered by a big FE.. and for sure a 4 speed. got lots of work to do but its a very solid car.! a build thread will be started when the build starts.[​IMG]

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Nice score Rob!
    That Falcon is gonna make a great drag car.Its pretty shocking how much weight comes out of an already light car when you start making a pile of little items on the floor:
    -heater core and hoses
    -heater plenum and controls
    -radio
    -insulation and sound deadener
    -floor mats
    -scraped off undercoating

That stuff will collectively get you about 30-40 pounds lighter,before you even start with fibreglass panels:)

Did you guys pick that up at Barrie?

If you go 289/302 just to get it up and running I have a couple of toploaders that will work.

Scott

18. Yeah it should make a sweet car, it's very solid, plus it's already gutted, and it has a lexan back window already.

A buddy of mine picked it up from ancaster swap meet yesterday. 1000$ hahaha solid car for a sweet price

I want to put a big FE, but we have a built 460 with cobra jet heads that's around 500 hp. So not sure yet. But for sure will need a top loader lol got to start lookin for parts now

19. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

When I think Falcon and 1965 my thoughts go to Bonner's Warbucks car and Platt's Gerorgia Shaker not a Gasser. Most of these cars in 65-67 were match raced and on nitro/alky mix not gas. Maybe make your build time later in the 60's when flip top cars were more comon and the non altered wheelbase Falcons Novas Mustangs etc. were used in the Gas classes.
    I do like the thought of a Southeast Gasser legal car though.

Attached Files:

powrshftr likes this.
  20. powrshftr

powrshftr

That Bonner car was a freakin murder weapon man!:D

Ever see the pic of the wheel stand he did when he was match racing Dick Brannan's Mustang?
    That's the one that busted the car up so bad they ended up taking it out of service,so the story goes....

Rob,you guys will have a real missile on your hands there!:)

Scott

21. FE!.., or you are dead to me! Besides, the 385 series didn't show up until '69. SEG probably wouldn't allow it anyway. They "grandfather'd" Cantrell's "Hound Dog" since he was an original member, only to have him jump ship and go to the dark side with Pearson.

30dodgeboy, loudbang and II FUNNY like this.
  22. yeah I hear ya. i love bonners waarbucks falcon! was there any 64-65 falcons running gas class 66? i really want to stay pre 66 for our build. but we could always build an altered wheel base falcon.
    what time period do you recommend for the car? i really want a gas class car, and radius'd quarters lol

I want it FE powerd so bad, but i dont know if my father wants to build a motor..... thats why im against the 460 since its not really correct for what i want lol.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was just at a guys barn had some FE heads on the shelf like a rick of wood. If there are some numbers that some one is looking for I will check. He said one pair was from a 428.

24. My brother-n-laws NHRA legal 390 Stocker made 500hp. We're talking factory aluminum GT/Interceptor 2 plane will th 600 vacuum secondary Holley, blue printed 390 GT heads, w/ stock valve sizes, .460 lift "cheater Hydraulic cam" CP 4 valve pocket NHRA legal flat tops (11.6:1), light tension rings, Canton front sump pan, stock crank & rods, and Ishihara Johnson windage tray. At 3500 lbs w/5.13's and Jerico 4 spd, ran 10.70's @ 124mph! Now put that in a 2800 lb Falcon with a 4" shorter wheel base, and you have a 10 teen-10.20/130+ runner. Add some more compression, bigger cam, a little head work, & a Performer RPM 2x4 kit, and Presto 550-575 and high nines @135-140mph, loose another 200-300 lbs, 9.70's @ 140+

25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I'm not saying you can't have an early build date...it would just have been real rare. There was a Mustang Gasser before Ohio George ran one. It was in an accident when new and the guy built it into a Gas class car. The car was called the numismatist.

26. Yeah, that would be bad ass in the falcon, I'm an fe guy just have to convince my dad haha. I Got a junk 352 block I can use as a mock up block too lol. I'm trying to convince him. And get him on here lol
    Yeah real rare, haven't seen a 64 done as a real gasser, I think we are going to build it between 65-68 but as a gasser instead of a AWB. Ive been working on some drawing of how I want it to look ,I'm thinking white and blue for the paint and interior.

II FUNNY likes this.
  27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Exactly !
    I have had 3 NHRA Stockers...... Pay attention to the details and don't be afraid to ask for help from the ones that are doing it right.

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man I really hope my son and I get to come to this next year.

29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

It is going to be chock full of "BADASSERY":)

55belairx2 likes this.
  30. And all the big talk will be backed up by large Chrysler iron :rolleyes:

Swamp Rat 4 and enloe like this.