Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Invisible Wire Looms

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bandit Billy, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my first thread on the HAMB, I do hope it is worthy. I have been stealing ideas from you all for some time and this is my way of giving back a little.
    I am in the process of building myself a traditional hot rod 34 Ford roadster. All I started with is a title and an empty 8BA block, the latter of which is the subject of much of my time at the moment while I wait on body and chassis parts to arrive. My motor build requires the use of a MSD distributor and ugly 8mm wires which will not fir the chrome pre-bent wire looms that keep the wires tidy so I had to get creative. Fortunately I injured my sciatic recently lifting the tranny and the Dr. prescribed Flexor and Vicodin, that led to a dream sequence and thus the following idea.
    This is my process of building loom-less, heavy gauge, suppressor plug wires with an old school flair for neat freaks.
    First carefully remove dry-cleaning from metal hangers,
    image001.jpg
    Next, assemble the tools you will need; ohm meter, wire crimpers, electrical tape, marine shrink wrap, heat gun, wire cutters, pliers, scissors, Crown Royal.
    image002.jpg
    Next layout plug wire from plug to cap routing it is you want it to lie and cut a coat hanger to length leaving ample room at either end to avoid contact or proximately with cap and plug electrodes. Then secure it every 4 or 5 inches with a layer of two of electrical tape.
    image003.jpg
    I purchased the wire loom in colors to coordinate with my flathead from Sacramento Ford. I used exactly 2 bags of the wire cover in this process.
    image006.jpg
    Next step is to insert wire in loom, this can be difficult if you use too much tape. I use the Susan Summers method, grabbing the loom with one hand resting on my left knee, plug wire in my right on the opposing knee and do the thigh master thing to coerce the plug wire into its new sheath. After which I shrink wrap the cap end thusly
    image008.jpg

On the plug wire end I crimp the ends that came with the wires. I originally was going to use Rajal ends but the ohm meter did not like them…at all. These ends installed and shrink wrapped look pretty good.
    image009.jpg
    If you measured correctly, you need only to install the wires making bends where appropriate to achieve a tight fitment. I opted to run the wires up to the plugs and I like the way it turned out.
    wireloom1.jpg
    For an added detail I used some straps from a collection of golf bag tags I have lying around to secure the wires. A old school wire tie if you will.
    image013.jpg
    there you have it, thank you for your time and attention. Your feedback is appreciated.

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Not bad but we need to see more of that Flatty.....;)

3. I guess your defination of "Invisible" differs from mine...they look VERY visible here on my screen

4. Interesting, Verrrry interesting.

5. squirrel

squirrel

hmmmm....all I see is a blown flatty....I'm running an old mallory dual point, and stock replacement plug wires on the blown 427 in my Chevy II. seems to work ok, to the tune of 9.96 @ 134.

A friend had a blown flatty in his deuce, and he wimped out and had an MSD box on it, but used the good old fashioned wires and Raja clips on the plug end. Drove it that way for years.

Maybe I'm missing something, on the need for all that modern stuff in the ignition system?

Anyways, neat job on the wires!

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"Grammar Police" here......it is "loom", not "wire" that is the object of "invisible" :D

To the OP.......clever idea......beautiful Flatty!
    Ignore the fuddy duddy naysayers.

Ray

turboroadster and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

8. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

9. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

Very nice and sanitary plug wires. The whole engine looks very good.

10. Prefaced with Vicodin and flexor induced thoughts man!! Cut some slack where its due :) I can't see what's holding the wires like I can with the chrome tubes

That pic 7 is a major tease

11. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I wish that I had thought of that; maybe some Vicodin would help?

Great idea that I am sure to steal.

12. Jibs

Jibs

Good idea, every time I take Vicodin I dream about big red spiders.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My back Dr. has me on Percoset, and this idea looks DANDY!
    Love those little golf bag belts...I saw some of those in an Adult book store, under 'novelties'.
    Can't imagine what they're for...:D

325w likes this.
  14. Hell yeah, that's a whale of a first thread. Good job setting the bar high...newbs, take notice.

117harv likes this.
  15. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I like it. I like it a lot.

16. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Neat idea that I may use in the future.....................

17. 117harv

117harv

I like it, nice work! Thanks for taking the time to post/share.

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I still can't see the pics f the whole engine.....

19. Its there, just behind the invisible. Vicodin will let you see it

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  20. srs1

srs1

nice flattie, i'm gonna go throw rocks at mine

21. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

22. Well , if that isn't a clever idea, I don't know what is!!

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great first post, it would have been a good Tech Week entry. It's the first HAMB electrical post I totally understood. Bob

24. That's great news bob , I was waiting for you ask if invisible wires cause invisible fires :)
    Just kidding

25. ... might want to learn how to spell "definition" before throwing around too much sarcasm :D

Bandit Billy- nice idea!

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  26. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Thanks for the tip, should come in handy when I run my ignition wires in a month!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. dmac620

dmac620

Nice and neat. Well done.

28. Very nice job. Has a great look on that incredible flatty of yours. Mikey.

29. .....and I always hated wire hangers........that's pretty damned cool.

30. jeta12

jeta12

Very neat and clean.