Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A 28 converting from Left hand drive to Right hand

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bezas, Oct 23, 2014.

1. bezas

bezas
    from Australia

What i have is a 28 model A which is left hand drive with original motor and i want to convert it to right hand drive what is involved?
    Regards louis

2. Find yourself a RHD firewall, try and get onto Fred Ruigrok he'd have one.. a RHD tank would help also. And then the RHD steering bits and a steering column / box.

If you're hot rodding it.. Tank and firewall.. the rest would be later Ford / aftermarket anyway.

3. bezas

bezas
    from Australia

Yes I Have RHD firewall and tank

4. Okay.. swap out the front end for a RHD one and throw a RHD steering column in and away you go. As far as i'm aware the chassis has steering box holes either side of it.. i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure mine does.

5. Actually no, it doesn't. I just found this picture. Perhaps thats the steering box hole just without the mounting holes? I'm not sure..

However you haven't exactly given us much info.. are you keeping it fully original, staying side steer but later box, or cross steer? I used a '41 Ford box in my RHD Model A and mounted it like it was originally, and using later '41 - '48 spindles with an A axle to have cross steer in it.

[​IMG]

6. bezas

bezas
    from Australia

What i have is a RHD roadster body and what i have come across is LHD chassey with all running gear basically what i want to do is to keep it stock less guards and side boards.
    Keep the motor and running gear .
    regards louis

7. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No need to throw away the front end , just swap over the stub axels. You will also need a RHD gearbox because the pedals mount on the left or right hand side of it. Cheers.

8. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

You shouldn't find it too hard to get steering box, and subs with rh steering arm? Maybe up grade the box to F1 while your at it. ?. Where abouts are you?

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

9. Go to the Fordbarn. This is their thing.

Edit:

I'm going to be frank, but honest and hopefully helpful. I looked at your previous posts and remember seeing them at the time. I don't believe you know a lot about Model A Fords... that's the first thing.

They are as basic as basic gets, so the second thing is this: Look on line for books about Model A's. There are a LOT. They include factory owners manuals, all sorts of service manuals, reproductions of the original factory the parts price list (which includes many diagrams of parts so you can learn what the parts are called). There are also books about restoring Model A Fords. Seek and buy these books. Study them, then lots of things will make sense.

If you're interested in modifying it, the Bishop /Tardel book How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod is excellent, as many here can attest to.

But, if a stock restoration is what you really want, the Model A section of the Ford Barn is where you should look. It's what they live for. The link is at the bottom of the page, just go here http://www.fordbarn.com/

Hope this helps and good luck with it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  10. bezas

bezas
    from Australia

Hi located Melbourne Vic
    regards Louis

11. Ah yes i forgot about the gearbox with the pedals on it.. shoulda remembered that since i did own one a while ago.

The wishbone / axle is good to keep.. i'm vaguely recalling that the steering arm might actually bolt onto the stub axles.. and i may have a RHD one up behind the shed. I'll have to look tomorrow. Send me a message tomorrow and remind me.

If i have a steering arm you might only need to swap the tie rods around the other way, use the drag link you have but find a RHD column and box (however i'd upgrade the steering box..).

12. Okay after getting off my ass and going for a look in the dark i found my old Model A tie rod with steering arm. The arm is curved, but not directional. You could unbolt the entire tie rod with steering arm, and reverse it and it should work. The steering arm bolts into the stub axle if i remember correctly.

I know there is also a curved arm that connects the drag link to steering box, so if you're lucky you can reverse that too. Unfortunately i threw that out by the looks of it.

I took a pic to show you what i'm talkin about.

[​IMG]

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On Fordbarn there are a fair number of discussions of RHD Model A's. There is even a book or pamphlet available from one of the members. If you are keeping stock brakes as well as trans and steering you will need quite a lot of parts, making finding a RHD chassis for parts by far the most practical solution. Hot rodding it with hydraulics, V8 spindles, and such would actually make the job much easier.
    Doing the stock conversion piecemeal will likely drive you mad...look for RHD chassis that offers most of the parts you need from one source!

14. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

LISTEN TO BRUCE

Also if you don't have a chassis have a look at OZrodders for sale section

Alan Smart at Armadale Autos has a complete rolling and driving model A chassis complete with engine, gearbox wheels and tyres for $2800. Everything is there just drop your body onto it.
    http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58772
    (I am not associated with Al but I can tell you he is a stand up guy) in my book if you really want original you can't beat this deal. They pulled it from under a restored coupe that they are rodding

Sorry I am a dick that chassis is also left hand drive

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  15. If i had a LHD chassis i'd be just putting in all later ford spindles, brakes ect instead.

Who wants that Model A junk anyway..

I V8'd my RHD Model A with all early Ford stuff and i'm pretty happy with it. But i'm sure someone around has some RHD bits you could use.