Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '57 Olds 371...What would YOU do??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Dad, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

My avi is a '55 Olds 88 2 door that I bought in a basket with a '57 Olds 371 stick shift short block bolted into it - bare heads in the back seat - no intake - no dist....

Here is my dilemma - The car sat for decades in a garage (1962 inspection sticker on the windshield) - owner who took the car apart long passed. The engine appears to have been rebuilt and either never run, or only run for a short period. The cylinder walls are clean, no ridge at the top, cam looks new, oil in the pan still clear - turns easily by hand.

I'm going to put it on the stand and look at the bottom end, but knowing the cost of rebuilding these motors I'm leaning towards putting a set of heads on it and trying to run it as is - hoping for the best.

I know the opinions here will run from "Send Tony at Ross a check for $18k" to "Leave the 50 year old oil in it and go" - but I'm looking for some reasonable insight as to what to do

Assuming the bottom end looks good and I button all the missing pieces up:

Should I break it in as if it's new (i.e. cam break in procedure)?

Should I worry about the rings seating?

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

If everything looks OK visually, I'd treat it as a break in and fire it up. The worst case scenario is a rebuild that may not be needed.

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If you start it and it seizes, you'll be in for a huge expense because you banked on someones work being A-OK..
    It's not that much work to disassemble, measure the tolerances (crank, bearings etc) and reassemble (or have a competent machine shop do this for you). Also bring them the heads for a once over.

4. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

I agree with this - maybe a seemingly stupid question, but if I do this, can I reinstall the components? (Bearings, rings, etc?) _ I know to catalog what came from what to reassemble in the right locations...if it plastigages out ok, can I just reassemble?

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The rings may have lost their tension sitting for so long. If it was me, I would replace the rings. Other than that I think you have a plan.

6. YES, old dad, you can.

Old fox I fail to see why the rings could loose their tension sitting in the engine, when they do not in the box, as NOS.

Ben

7. Of course......anal and competent people can accomplish any task presented in life.

8. I have said this many times but here goes again:
    The car is telling you what to do.
    That is: it was 1962. The owner had the block rebuilt.
    It had a stick in it (very rare), so maybe he was a street racer, or
    wanted to drag in a stock class
    His intensions were to get the heads rebuilt next. (cost was still a factor in the
    early days), for more compression and fresh valves.
    Dont forget it's a 2 door post, (read Lite).
    Next he got married, had some kids, you know the story.
    I'd say from what the car says, I would rebuld the heads, bolt on, breake it
    in and go.
    Then finish up the car as the last owner would have, and the car tells you.
    Remember, to the car, it's still 1962!
    Man i wish I had it then!
    Awesome!
    The car and you deserve it!

9. belair

belair

Do a common-sense run through of the engine yourself, re-assemble, and then run that mutha. My 55 2 door was the favorite car I ever owned.

10. Jeez, I just looked at your home page!
    Looks like Olds Heaven!
    You gotta have enough Olds savvy
    and contacts to get that thing up and
    running!
    From the pictures, The car told me more.
    It still has caps and rings!
    Dam, the guy was building a Grandma Blue hair Sleeper!
    This would have been the Off Brand Chevy Killer!
    Not many guys would believe Grandmas Olds could
    beet them at the stop lite!
    Listen to your car man!

11. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

Ha Ha...thanks - I have a lot of experience making Grandma's Olds embarrass people...have an OT '71 Supreme with a big block and a 4 speed...not a 442 - people don't expect it to shred the pavement the way it does.

I like your advice of "listening to the car" - I want this to be the sleeper it was intended to be...

12. squirrel

squirrel

I think I'd pull one piston/rod, and inspect carefully, check bearing clearance on the one (before pulling it out), check ring gap, see if the rings look like they've been run. See how clean the bore is. That would give me a good idea if I need to take it the rest of the way apart.

since you didn't provide pics here for us to even see what it looks like, it's hard to give good advice.

13. missysdad1

missysdad1

Not too many cars I would suggest going the full restoration route, but this is one of 'em. If it's a factory stick car I'd give it a slight nose-down altitude adjustment, a pair of mellow duals and return all else - including the engine - to factory stock appearance. I know, I know...the guys who just have to cut stuff up to make 'em happy aren't going to like this idea, nor are those who just can't live without crowds of people swooning at the sight of their vast array of automotive high performance underhood technology. But for those of us who can appreciate the historical significance of these manual shift heavyweights as true "sleepers" it would be cool beyond cool. Nice car!

14. ^^ 2X
    If the one piston/bore/crank/rod sizes look good, then the rest most likely are too. If it turns over easily then I say put it together and run it.

15. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

I agree with the pictures...just don't have any clear ones show the necessary info...here are two that might help...the deck is greasy with surface rust - the bores have no rust and are smooth... 371.jpg 371-2.jpg

16. CGkidd

CGkidd

Stick shift 371 olds = rare. Is the car set up for a stick already? If it is man you are set. As others have said check bearing clearance, rebuild stock heads, breakin procedures to be safe then finish it up as a bitchin sleeper.

17. Dave50

Dave50

Pull the pan and all the pistons and clean that deck and block thoroughly!! you could hand work it but winter is here do it right... ANd you can check all clearances etc Thats just to dirty for me

18. squirrel

squirrel

After seeing the pics, I'd take it all apart, to clean the block.

Dave50 likes this.
  19. You see, I looked at the pictures in your album.
    The car already has 3 pedals.
    These guys are all traditionalists and we are all drooling over what you have!
    If I saw your car at the show, the first thing I would look for is the stick!
    This is how we think!
    Sleepers are always cool!

20. Dave50

Dave50

I am agreeing with Squirrel after seeing the pics its what i would do

21. squirrel

squirrel

But I would still check at least one rod and main with plastigauge before taking it apart....just out of curiosity.

22. CGkidd

CGkidd

Ok you posted as I was posting. Tear down, clean, measure and reassemble. Also I think those are aftermaket pistons. The stock pistons would be flat top.

23. Dave50

Dave50

The other thing to remember is if it sat the bearings may be etched as some oils hurt the bearing surface after awhile and your bearings w come apart so safe to look at this.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn I am jealous.

25. belair

belair

Will a 394 bolt up to a Hydra- Matic?

26. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

Thanks for all your input and advice - I think I'll take it apart.

As for the car - I plan to make it fairly original (given that the original motor is probably a Toyota now) - it's a factory 3 speed car - use the 371 with J-2 intake (already have setup) - duals with Brockman Steel Packs - slight stance adjustment and, of course, bias plys

27. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

and keep it Green...Green way before it was politically correct to be so ;)

(That's about as "green" as I get)

28. It gets better all the time!
    J-2 package! You're killing me!

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

They may, and they may not. I have been told that they will when kept under tension for a long time. Rings don't cost a lot and at this time are easy to change. When it's in the car and running, not so much. So that's why that's what i would do.

30. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

It doesn't have to cost 18k.....

With the looks of it....
    It needs to come apart.... And with that much dome you will have way too much compression for pump gas...... Flat tops in one of these... With a little overbore and any resurfacing and your 10:1

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!