Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chev ute, it's an Australian thing.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 49CadiClubCoupe, Aug 3, 2014.

1. camerl2009

camerl2009

that's not even bad rot I have dealt with worse(buying cars that nobody else will touch is how you get cheaper projects)

2. Ok, back again. Busy few weeks of progress. I have removed the what seemed like four million rusted bolts holding the chassis and body together. Figured out how to get the body away from the steering column and now have an even bigger pile of parts!

The best bit - chassis and body have divorced after 64 years of marriage!! I have the body on its rotiserie frame now like some sort of large rusty and dirty chicken. Rolled the chassis out on Sunday and pressure cleaned about 10 kilos of mud and dirt off it.

The good part - the chassis is not as bad as I had been led to believe. Gearbox crossmember toasted but that is pretty easy to source. One small hole at the rear of the chassis and another near the proportioning valve. Anyone know the best way to patch smallish sections in a chassis?

Picked up a few tins of crap to seal and repaint the chassis gloss black with once its back from the sandblaster as well as the copper metallic to do the block on the 235 I will put in it.

I love the smell of progress in the morning,......

Attached Files:

3. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Man this is making me keen to start on my Plymouth ute.

49CadiClubCoupe likes this.
  4. morac41

morac41

Hi Cam Great to see the progress on the ute ..rust right around my Caddy 8-10 inches up the panels like your quarters...just keep at it and it will get done... sad to see the Caddy sulking in the back...but every thing comes to those who wait regards Doug

5. smoked1

smoked1

Man! I love them car trucks! I need a new project too!

6. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

I have a 49 myself - yours is in mint condition compared to what I started with.
    You'd be extremely lucky find a good one to start with anyway, there were only around 8000 of them built between 49-52 and nearly all ended up as farmers hacks and had the shit flogged out of them.
    Good news is all parts off a 49-52 Chev sedan will fit from the rear of the doors forward.
    One thing of note, the rear windows in them are exactly the same as an FX-FJ Holden ute.
    Stick with it and good luck.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  7. Thanks Doug - have been meaning to send you a message and let you know about what I have been up to. :) Sad for the Caddy and how it is just sitting there however I want to do it properly (and I will) so I am looking at the Chev as a great practice piece for me.

I should say about the condition, for a car that has sat it a paddock for who knows how long and is 60+ years old - it is in pretty good condition. What is not rusty is pretty straight and for what I paid I got a decent deal. My comments about the condition relate purely to the way the previous owner described it. I was told about minimal rust, good interior, good chrome,...the reality is quite different to how it actually is. Just means I learn more!! :)

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

If the bodies are all factory parts from other models where did the rear half of the roof and the upper quarters come from?
    Sharp cars. Thanks.

9. Nice lines on those cars. Why in the hell did no one build those anywhere else......I will never know. Would like to see your Caddy and the Ute completed. Sending positive vibes down under...from hot and steamy up and over......Texas. Good luck man !

10. Stamped by Holden

11. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

Correct, from the research I've done on mine I've learned they were sent out from Canada partially assembled and RHD, Holden then finished the bodies down here with locally stamped parts at their Fishermans bend plant.
    They were then sold through Holden dealers.
    They all had 2 tags on the firewall, one from GM Canada and the other from Holdens Motor Bodies.

12. Thanks for the support and comments people. I am no expert on these, pretty much bought it on a whim not knowing much about them! I am enjoying finding out a bit more as I research for mine. I do have two spots on my firewall where there would have been tags. Drivers side has GM plate and there is a space on the left where I assume the local Holden plate was.

Still chipping away - not as much done in the past two weeks as I would have liked. Almost removed the drive train and bits from the chassis so I can get it blasted. Picked up a few cool parts for it. Still tossing up what to do with the diff swap as well as the front end swap.

Was hoping to import a set up to swap out the front end for a Mustang II with disc brakes and rack etc which seems like an easy option however having trouble finding someone who will ship to Australia. Swapping the rack from LHD to RHD could also be a problem. Might have to keep the original front end, do a disc brake and column swap.??

More to come :)

13. Have you thought about a Jag front end or even an L300, either of which have parts available locally and are used often because of their adaptability.

14. scotti32

scotti32

Hey Cam, A front end out of a HR Holden could be an option. They are used a lot in early fx,fj,fc etc holdens to get a disc brake front end.

15. big creep

big creep

Wow I'm in LOVE!!!!

16. A MII front end would be the very last thing you should consider! I say rebuild the stocker or use Jag.

17. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

My chassis was that fucked I removed it and fitted a HQ 1 tonner chassis under it, but I would'nt recommend doing that again.
    HT/G Holden front ends fit really well under them, it will sit nice and the track width is just right. That black ute in the pics from Victoria runs a HT front end on bags.
    If you want to run one of the US aftermarket front ends, then do you're research beforehand and be careful. Avoid the likes of Hoffman Group and Helix who advertise RHD and are also now unfortunately in Australia, their stuff is pure Chinese crap !

18. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

MoonEyesChristmasShow2012028.jpg This is our Ute bought it from the original owner in Tumut. It is RHD with a jag suspension. The stock Jag springs are two stiff and it would ride like a lumber truck,, we are fighting to find right ones,, new ones too soft.And like you said, hard to find RHD MII. Maybe Aero Springs!

19. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Man I wish I had one! Wonder how much shipping would be to the Midwest?

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

These cars were actually sent here in RHD format CKD (complete knocked down) from Canada. Chev chassis with a local GM Holdens produced body. All mechanicals were received disassembled hence CKD. Hang on panels and everything was bolted together here in Australia. Local Holden utilities, commencing with FX in 1948, saw the demise of Chev utes as local content took over. The Commonwealth tariff rules (local-v-imported) required ***% local content hence the CKD program.

21. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a couple of quik pictures of mine. You can see from what's remaining of the lower sills how fucked this thing was when i got it.
    I hated the "kick up" behind the doors the factory did on these things, so made some sections in the pullmax, modified the rear windo and doors and ran the beltline straight through so it now flows.
    The original trim stopped at the doors and looked like an afterthought also, so i used fleetline trim turned upside down which comes to a point midway above the wheel arch.
    I am also in the process of removing the vent windows and converting the doors to one piece glass which has been a huge pain in the arse. The drip rails have been removed, It will run a 50 olds one piece windsheild. Hood has been made one piece. All new foors have been fitted as they were completely gone, new smooth bead rolled panels fitted to the engine bay. Frenced headlights have been fitted
    It will be painted satin black with red interior and run a 383 chevy, T700 and 4 linked 9 inch.
    The last photo is of some custom hood hinges i made for it...and no, i'm not in a hurry to make another set :)
    The ute is shown at ride height, but it will dump on the sills when the bags are deflated.
    Lots more to do but it's currently in storage until i finish my chopped 36 5W coupe.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  22. All that work for satin black...seems a shame.

Now that the drip rails are removed, have you considered radiusing the door corners?

23. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

No, personally I'm also not a fan of radiused doors and bonnets so it's staying as is.
    If it's done right Satin Black looks awsome.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  24. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I love that your not putting a belly button small block and grandpa auto in it. I look forward to seeing done. very cool project.

25. Hate to say it but that square door corner is the first thing that i looked at, and to me it makes the whole roof look funny.

26. Also now that i think about it all the later Holdens (I'm thinkin of FB EK) had radiused doors on the commercials from factory, it looked good.

Yours looks like you bolted a sedan door onto it.

27. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

Yeah, they were built using sedan doors. Lots of shit on them looked an afterthought. That square door top probably stands out more now the drip rail has gone.
    I'm definately open to suggestion and just noticed Jardines ute has a small radius, so maybe its something i need to consider looking at doing when i get back into it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Jimmy B likes this.
  28. Josh's ute is definitely a good inspiration for sure.

And yes, radius that door already and it'll look a ton better!

29. Thanks for all the comments fella's.

Almost have the chassis totally stripped and ready for blasting. Hopefully will get the motor off it tonight - depends on how rusted the bolts are! Aye aye aye - almost there.

Hi Scotti - I did think about an HR or later front end - my only concern is going to all the trouble of swapping the front end to put in something thats still reasonably old. I am really at a stumbling block on this - just cant decide which way to go considering cost/effort/my skills/ reliability. Scratching head,...Considering my problems with importing this option is still in front at this stage!

X38, why do you not like the MII option?

Thanks for the input and comments 36 Coupe - very nice and great inspiration! Those hood hinges are very impressive,... would look very nice on mine :)

I like the drip rails removed, thinking of doing it on this and definitely with radiused door s - lot better flow,...

More interesting updates to follow soon I hope