Register now to get rid of these ads!

Continental kit madness on kustom chop 56 merc !!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dirtyrottenedsel, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846585.030899.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846608.875603.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

dana barlow likes this.
  2. A "full continental", as shown, was nick named "the back porch".
    I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, in the '50's. That's 1950's, not 1850's.
    I was into cars forever, but could count on one hand, the number of cars I ever saw, with a continental ......... back then.
    Maybe the guys in Cleveland were too poor to afford a continental. I know I was.:D

3. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

Well i love my new "back porch"

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Yes, it is cool, no doubt. The roof line is very "flowing".

dana barlow likes this.

5. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

Thank u

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413851414.306067.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413851428.328472.jpg

7. BJR

BJR

Just say NO.

X38 likes this.
  8. Ltorch

Ltorch

55/56 mercs/fords look great with or without a cont kit .But i always put one on the ones i had ..Love them with.

9. Ltorch

Ltorch

kevs chopped 55 merc.png
    Sorry for the bad pics thats all i have with me.
    DCAM0077.JPG

user84420_pic249904_1293692030.jpg

stanlow69 likes this.
  10. 40-41 Lincoln Continentals sure looked good with them..

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I like it...growing up in the Midwest - Iowa, lots of guys put "Connie Kits" on their cars...always thot it added to the 'kustom" look...FWIW, I'd never heard it called a "back porch" til I joined the HAMB...musta been an east coast thing...

R-

12. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

That merc is so rad !!!!!

13. They weren't common up here in rural Wisconsin, but I like them. They finish off the back with a little flourish. Who likes a lady with no Glutis Maximus? (junk in the trunk)

14. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

The blue one has a different rear window , i kept my same rear and roofline so i can use my factory stainless

15. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

Beautifully done tho

16. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Always liked them . Some cars look funny with them. Most are ok, would like to find one to fit the Merc.

17. uglimerc.jpg PikesMerc.jpg This one looks pretty good.Chopped and sectioned;fenders extended;Merc wagon lights to keep it in proportion.Built by Kelsey Martin in Beverly MA for Bob Pike.I think it's on the left coast now.
    This one isn't so pretty.Built in the mid 50's on the east coast.I'll reserve judgement on that one.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Looks good - better have rear air bags or, at least have old stye rear casters

Chopped1956 likes this.
  19. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We used to call 'em "TOILET SEATS" as in "A 53 Ford with a toilet seat on the back"
    I really like the look. Its to bad they've fallen out of favor recently.

20. [​IMG]

The sectioned one is very nice, but the one with the monster fins is depressingly ugly. The third fin makes it look like a woman with three t*ts.

21. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Sorry, bro...it just ain't working for me. IMO, grafting a '53 Ford Coronado kit to the decklid would get rid of the tacked on look all Continental kits suffer from. It's not like you need the room since your trunk is the size of Rhode Island.

22. Yes, it is madness.

23. thesupersized

thesupersized

The sectioned one is photoshop

24. Not by a long shot.I know the guy who built the car.If you Google the name Kelsey Martin you will come up to a site that has a bunch of custom motorcycles on it and I believe there is a picture of the Merc on there.

25. thesupersized

thesupersized

I'm on my phone and the front fender trim looks photoshopped. Would like to see a higher quality pic on a larger screen

26. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

If u google chopped and sectioned 56 merc and go to images there is a few with that car , along time ago i clicked on one and it brought me to a photo bucket site with tons of photos of that car from every angle , i belive it was for sale a while ago in california

27. I like the Continental kit fits on your Merc a lot. It does fit very well.
    It always depends, on some cars cont. kits look good, on others not so. Generally they look best on mid-50ies cars.

A terrible example:
    [​IMG]

28. Ltorch

Ltorch

I dont no who built that 56 sectioned one but i have seen it i think in 1996 or 97 and its a real car and i no its the car pictured above bec i rem how the fender ttrim looked like shit.

29. As was stated before it was built by Kelsey Martin in Beverly MA for Bob Pike.Bob wanted the stock trim retained and the only way to do it was to section it just behind the door.What I didn't like about it was the way the paint divided behind the headlight;it should have been a straight line in my opinion..As an aside what isn't readily apparent is that the body is actually dropped down over the frame(channeled)4 inches.The total drop on the car was(if I recall correctly)a full 12 inches. The car was first sectioned and then chopped and then the body dropped over the frame.The Merc wagon lights were used to try and preserve proportion.The fenders were going to be extended to surround the continental kit but they looked to out of proportion so that idea was scrapped.
    After all the body work was done the car sat for several years before someone was found to do the glasswork.I believe a shop in Connecticut did the glass work. Shortly after it was finished ir was sold to someone in California.

30. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

So rad , thanx for that info , i knew id seen it before , such a nice ride , hard one to try to top