Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lower control arm 49-54 Bel air

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gleid, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

[SOLVED]
    I'm in need of replacement lower control arms for my 54 bel air. The reason for this is that the previous owner cut open the hole where the support bracket for the shock is supposed to be. Resulting in a larger diameter with do not fit the lower shock brackets.

I suspect he started to rebuild for bags, but gave up. When I got the car it didn't even have shocks!

Anyway, I've tried searching ecklers, eBay and the local parts dealers. But no one seems to find new replacement parts. Are they really that hard to come by?

Here are the pictures of the old ones.

[​IMG]

It clearly doesn't fit anymore

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. It is quite likely that they may have never been reproduced. You may have noticed that '49 - 54 Chevys are sorta scarce in the junk yards that are left...if there are any left.

Try posting a wanted ad here on The HAMB for a pair of replacements. If the a-arms are otherwise in good shape why not have a pair of proper size rings machined with a larger o.d., remove the old ones and weld in the new ones...or add to the "diameter" of the bracket?

Gleid likes this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you can not find a set on ebay you are not trying hard enough. too many people think parting a car out means selling the bumpers and grille and little else, sometime you need to email a person selling parts and see if they have what you need.

Gleid likes this.
  4. I see you're from Norway but, you should be able to find a parts car somewhere. I'm from Pennsylvania and, I see complete 49-54 front suspensions for $100-$150 around my area. Lower control arms shouldn't cost ya too much.

Dustin

5. I'm sorry - I didn't notice that you're in Norway. I think the quickest solution would be to add to the retainer or support bracket.

Gleid likes this.
  6. jimdillon

jimdillon

There are several on ebay right now. I just typed in 1960 Corvette lower control arm and a couple showed up with a buy it now price of $75. Maybe they would ship to Norway. The C1 Corvettes had the same control arms. The cross member is a bit different and the spindle supports are a bit different but the control arms are the same.

Gleid likes this.
  7. maineguydan

maineguydan

Hay Gleid , Try "OLD CAR PARTS" 7525 se Powell, Portland Oregon 97206, U S A. phone,503 771 9416. Nice guys and helpfull.

8. SEE the parts book link below, 3708197 and 3693470 are the GM numbers. You may have better luck posting the entire GM number in your google search. You will note, as stated, that these control arms are shared with early Corvettes, as well.
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_57chevyparts/57cmpc0526.htm
    Good luck with your search.
    P.S. Look here at these on ebay. $100.00 for the pair.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-1962-Chevrolet-Corvette-front-stock-lower-control-arm-set-pair-suspension-/291130029475?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1954|Make:Chevrolet&hash=item43c8b3b5a3&vxp=mtr

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Gleid likes this.
  9. I haven't been in a pick n pull lately but in 2012 one landed in one of the ones here. I sold the front drums and stuff off it, and cut all the body mounts out of it for my Fleetline before I sold same. Front suspensions aren't too hard to come by.

10. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I cut up an entire front suspension and scrapped it because I couldn't give it away!

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I parted out a 51 and a 53 and got right around $550.00 total for all the front suspension parts. there is nothing on these cars that will not sell on ebay.

12. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

Hi all! Thanks for great response! Yes, I forgot to mention I live in Norway. o_O And sadly used parts from 50´s are far between. I´ve heard other mention Corvette arms, thanks for confirming! And those part numbers will be very useful. Part of my problem was to know WHAT to search for... :confused: But now I got a lot more to go on.

I really don´t want to weld too much more on the a- arms I got, since the officials are not to fond of welded structural parts over here..(I need to have the local "DMV" inspect and approve my ride before I can get it registered), my backup plan is as stated by Charlie Chops to weld on some studs on the retainers to make them larger.

Thanks again for all your swift and informative answers!

13. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope that turns out good for you. It isn't unusual for shipping costs to exceed the purchase price on things shipped from here to your area.

15. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

Yeah, they're quite heavy so no wonder it cost that much. I actually am glad the seller bothered to send them at all overseas. Many won't, which I totally understand.