Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project '36 Chevy Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lilred36, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Lilred36

Lilred36

Post 1.1.jpg Much about the reasons and the history of this build is in my profile information. This thread will be a combination of challenges, wins, rants (I'll try to keep those to a minimum though), questions, and lessons learned. Hope you all enjoy the trip and contribute to what will hopefully be a wonderful experience. In my profile narrative I did state that I would post more once a few of the details were worked out, so here we go....

I'm losing the workshop I've used for 20 years and have to have this project complete by March 1, 2015, the official start date being September 21, 2014. I'm working with a '36 low roof cab pickup, all original, I've had since around 1994. Know anyone that needs an original driveline, engine, radiator, etc.?? Anyway, as we all do, I'll be changing things up a bit, using a 327 with 3-2's and a 700R4 transmission. The grille and all other chrome parts were dropped off at the chrome company a few weeks ago and should be back in 3-4 more weeks. There's been a steady stream of UPS, Mail carriers, and large delivery trucks stopping at my place and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The most difficult and frustrating aspect right now is the lack of rear end. I thought I had one located, a 2005 Colorado rear, but it's 62" wide. I'm using the original 6-bolt wire wheels so using a 6-bolt rear end is a requirement while staying as close to 59" wheel mounting surface to surface as possible.

Currently body work, motor and transmission mockups are in process. Am installing '37 Chevy door posts and spreader to remove ALL of the original wood from the body. I've welded much in my life, but not much thin body panels before, this has been interesting. There are still a few body closures to make at the back of the cab and around the cowl, but they won't be seen so it shouldn't be too tough to complete.

Post 1.1.jpg

Attached Files:

lawman likes this.
  2. rideordie

rideordie
    from Oregon

cant wait to see what you do!

3. i used a '93 nissan 4x4 rear axle in a '38 chevy i built. it was an inch wider than the original but looks perfect. i also used EVERY piece of the brake system from the nissan.

4. Lilred36

Lilred36

rideordie, suppose I should have mentioned that. When my father built his '36 in '68, and I rebuilt it in '86, we went red. This time, flat black with red wire rims. tb33anda3rd, thanks for the heads up, I'll do some looking this week for Nissan's. I was thinking possibly one of the tri-5 trucks and updating the ring and pinion to a higher gear.

5. couple photos;

Attached Files:

302GMC likes this.
  6. redzula

redzula

Yep following this one. Good luck.

7. C5Corvettefan

C5Corvettefan
    from Milton, WV

That will be nice!

8. bfinch56

bfinch56

I dig OLD trucks!

9. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Keep us updated.

10. Lilred36

Lilred36

Thanks for all the responses and support! Still struggling with the rear end issues. This weekend I believe I'll mock up the bed and fenders to recheck clearances. May try to make the Colorado rear work. Its 63" wide and the original is 59" may be able to shoehorn 2" per side. 33anda3rd, was the Nissan rear a 6-bolt? I do have a '56 Chevy car rear end but its 5-bolt and have yet to determine if 6-bolt axles interchange? Or, could cut the 6-bolt centers out of the wire rims and weld in 5-bolt centers? Opinions?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  11. Lilred36

Lilred36

12. nissan, isuzu, in that era 4x4 are 6 lug but i do not know if the wires would work. i used the nissan rotors on the original hubs in the front so i could run original wheels.

13. Lilred36

Lilred36

The weekend wasn't as productive as I would have liked. Coated the inside of the cowl and the donor '37 jambs with POR15, so those are all ready for install next weekend. Dad talked me into trying the '56 rear axle again. The current plan is to have a machinist turn the '56 axle wheel mounting flanges and install the '36 6-bolt flanges via weld and magnaflux. Seems it should work. Hopefully that will be complete in a week or two and we're back to a rolling chassis. Would like to post some pictures but the mobile app keeps telling me I don't have permission.

14. Lilred36

Lilred36

Been a productive weekend so far. Front end under the frame, rear axle hanging, cab back on the frame...for a short time. Spent a little time checking out how the motor will fit. It'll be a little low for my liking, but that may change yet. Taking two more days off to continue with hopefully forward progress.

15. Cool truck. Good luck with the deadline--

16. Lilred36

Lilred36

Anyone in the Lincoln Nebraska area able to help a fellow hot rodder make up some patch panels? The lower cowl sections look as bad as my liver x-rays. My metalworking skills certainly aren't up to this level of need.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  17. belair

belair

Here's couple for motivation. Been in the family since 1954. My dad has a 4 inch dropped axle if you're interested.

Attached Files:

18. Lilred36

Lilred36

Very nice belair, the white really looks great! I might be interested in the axle too. Send me a PM and we can discuss particulars. My '36 has been in the family since '68. Many mods are currently underway. Shortened the bed about 8".

Attached Files:

19. belair

belair

I'll ask my dad about the axle in a day or two.

20. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

Here are some photos of my '38 cowl rust repair. It wasn't hard to make the panels.
    http://s30.photobucket.com/user/way... ND/Raleigh rodeo/Waynes truck?sort=6&page=1

21. Ghost28

Ghost28

Nice project. I will follow along with your progress.

22. Lilred36

Lilred36

Wayne, thanks for the photos. My complication is creating the beads at the bottom of the panel, which isn't used on a '37-'38 cab, the fenders cover this area. Otherwise, yes, it would be a simple panel to make, well, for some anyway.

23. Lilred36

Lilred36

Over a month since I've posted any progress. No bueno! Much has happened it seems. Metal work is nearly finished and will go to body first week of February. The frame is nearly complete, finished exhaust on Saturday, gas tank installed half of the lines run. Replacement recirculating ball steering box cleaned, column shortened and installed. Just need to place the brake assembly and plumb the brake lines. Would like to have more time to do some more metal work but time is quickly fleeting.

24. Lilred36

Lilred36

Some pictures....

Attached Files:

25. Lilred36

Lilred36

The engine is coming together after some rework, the heads needed a bit of help but are in nice shape now. Will order the 700R4 transmission from Bowtie Overdrive in the next week or so.

Attached Files:

26. Lilred36

Lilred36

First set of rims are done, think I really like the color!

Attached Files:

27. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Yes, the wheels are nice. Do you have caps and trim rings?

28. Lilred36

Lilred36

Thanks Jim, I dont have trim rings or caps for this set. I do have a set of solid pressed steel rims that I'm planning to do in a deep red and those will have caps and trim rings.

29. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I've been fighting vibration from the Cragers and installed my red smoothies with trim rings and baby moons. Gaining on the problem.

30. Lilred36

Lilred36

My smoothies are original '36 rims, I just hope they hold a tubeless tire and air. Then I'll be gaining!