Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Strangest Car Ever. 1961 Imperial CL Find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Oct 3, 2014.

1. For now I'd say use whatever you're going to put in the pan. If you later think you've got some stuck rings or lifters then add some MM Oil or Seafoam or something like that to the oil.

2. chstitans42

chstitans42

Awesome, Ill do that before the valve covers go back on

3. chstitans42

chstitans42

4. Kool, she loose .I hope you can get her fired up! Keep us posted .Thanks Bruce.

5. Love the videos on the old girl , keep them coming .lol.Bruce.

6. chstitans42

chstitans42

Bruce, should be six up at this point

7. Leave the valve covers off for now, or maybe just set them on loose with no bolts. If it fires up and you run it for any length of time, check to see if you're getting oil up thru the push rods. If I remember correctly that's how this engine oils the rocker arms, shafts and valve stems. From the looks of it I wouldn't be surprised if you had to clean or maybe replace the push rods.

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

9. elba

elba

Get it roadable and drive it. I think it would be a big negative investment to restore it. Spend $$$$ wisely !

10. chstitans42

chstitans42

You are right, restoration is out of the question, we will leave that part for the next owner! I just want it to run!

11. chstitans42

chstitans42

12. loudbang

loudbang

Yep the good old weep hole leak. They are actually made that way so you know you have a problem so it doesn't get so bad that the bearings go.

Your 413 is not sounding "So mean" ....yet :rolleyes:

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Just pull a simple tune up and check the coil. Easy on how much of that stuff you spray it the carb, could fuck up and go boom. I Been there. Lost my eye brows on one back fire like that .lol.Bruce.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I seen it on the C/L, and almost went to buy it myself, I figured at his asking price of 2k it could have been had around $1,500 or less it would have been worth buying. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  15. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Personally, I would have checked for spark and fixed that before spraying all that shit in the carb. and trying to start it.

16. chstitans42

chstitans42

17. squirrel

squirrel

interesting....I guess that's the easiest way to fix an old Mopar!

Saw a 60 (I think) 2dr imperial in Bisbee today, sitting next to the newer wagon a friend bought. They're out there...

18. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Strangest car ever? Yours is pretty normal compared to this old Caddy....

00u0u_bL9PoWIqAki_600x450.jpg

00M0M_1FTpBQogviY_600x450.jpg

chstitans42 likes this.
  19. chstitans42

chstitans42

^^^ what a waste of a caddy. WTF is with the exhaust? He coulda done the same thing just under the car...

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awww, the Caddy isn't "wasted" (the owner prolly is/was), it just needs YOU to rescue it since you like big cars...looks to me like it'll all unbolt and go into the trash...!!! Some people just like to get in your face with their "ideas"...it's the 'look at me' syndrome (which we all have to some extent)...!!!

R-

chstitans42 likes this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

some guys do it with "look how nice I can make an old car look", while others take the opposite approach.

22. "There's a lot of metal work I wasn't planning on ,,

LMFAO !!!!

23. Strangest Car Ever? Not even the Strangest Car on the HAMB!

24. tevintage

tevintage

Hi Chstitan:
    Your 61 Imperial is such an icon on cool space age styling and American Big Car excess I hope you will be able to do the spectators a favor and keep it stock! TEB

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. :)

26. imp610

imp610
    from Finland

Great score!

27. Chuck R

Chuck R

Love it, when I was a kid (6years old) the family across the street bought a cream colored Imp just like that one. All us kids thought they must have been super rich to drive a car like that one. For reference, my folks were driving a 56 Pontiac at that time. Not really the same league. :)

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

If you are into Cruise Ships....( I personally have a real affection for them) that is one cool boat indeed !
    Good for you :)