Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway axle weight limits???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elvinsford, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Elvinsford

Elvinsford
    from Missouri

I have a 50" speedway straight axle in my 65 falcon, i m looking to put an engine that weights about 750lbs in it. Where am i going to see problems at? I m building a truss for the axle so no worries there but my concerns are leafs, king pins, and shackles. Opinions?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

I've got a Speedway axle kit under mine with a 750lb engine and no problems. HRD

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Maybe a call to Speedway themselves would be in order :confused: ?
    Probably the right place to get the info.

4. Elvinsford

Elvinsford
    from Missouri

Thank you, my biggest concern was the leafs, they seem kinda narrow compared to most but it is a pretty thick spring pack. I do plan to call them but I was kinda putting it off, I hate customer service lines, but if I remember right speedway is known for being better than most?

5. squirrel

squirrel

I have a Chevy II with the Speedway axle and spring kit, I had to take out about half the leafs....with a blown big block....don't worry about it.

6. cavman

cavman

I agree, I have a 48" speedway in my '53 with a 409 over it. I too had to take out a couple leafs just to get it to bounce while jumping on the front x-member. I might have to take out one more. I believe you'll be ok.

7. Elvinsford

Elvinsford
    from Missouri

Ok thanks guys! Were you guys happy with your speedway setup? I only have about 20 miles on my setup with the old small 6 cylinder and so far so good!

8. squirrel

squirrel

It mostly works ok.

9. deto

deto

Is that like "almost just barely"

10. If you have the flat steering arms they leave a lot to be desired. check that the bend where it attaches to the spindle is round and smooth , some show a mark from the die and the bend is real sharp . I missed this and it broke right on the mark left by the die used to bend it.

11. squirrel

squirrel

mostly works ok, means it mostly works ok. There are a few minor issues with making everything fit, but since it's a "universal" kit, that's not surprising.