Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

Mercruiser 170 HP, 3.7 liter, 1/2 of a 460 Ford

Discussion in 'Parts For Sale' started by Turkey Broth Trading, Oct 20, 2014.

1. City: Berlin Center

State: Ohio
    Price: 650.00
    Yes, I know this is not a boat site, but since there has been a lengthy thread here about these engines for the past few years, I thought it would be OK to post.

Recently removed from a boat, Mercruiser 170 HP, 3.7 Liter engine. If you are unfamiliar with this engine, it is 1/2 of a Ford 460. Stock configuration with a 2 bbl carb was 170, and up to 190 with a 4 bbl. The cylinder block is aluminum, the head is iron and weighs 320#. Another neat feature is that it has a Chevy bellhouse bolt pattern, after one hole is drilled and tapped.

Owner said it started to develop a knock, so he took the boat into the dock and removed the engine.

Complete long block, oil pan to valve cover. These are quite neat engines, I recently read a post where one in a drag car develops 500 HP.

I see no external damage. Aluminum block has no rod holes. Was running and holding coolant when pulled. No sign of water in the oil, and it was a fresh water boat. I pulled the spark plugs and they looked good, #3 was a little rich though. I am selling this engine as a core, knowing that it has a lower end knock. I would assume that the new owner would plan to go through the engine any, but want it known up front about this issue.

Priced at $650.00. I will gladly quote motor freight and ship. All I need is a ZIP code and whether you are a commercial or residential delivery.

Would take one aluminum 460 performance head on trade or buy outright.

Thanks;
    Craig Donges

Attached Files: