Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Pump should be 2lb max. I asked it be set at 1lb, but I don't know for sure if that happened.

I'm pretty sure that the fuel inlet valve is beyond repair. The corners on it are worn down and it seems to hang up on the lip at the bottom that has been created. I took apart two of my other carbs to compare to. they are both in much better shape. Can I swap these between carbs or are they carb size specific? I kinda think i should look for another carb. My BB updraft is in pretty great shape. I wish I could find a BB downdraft bowl to go with it.

If I can buy a stromberg to winfield adapter or swap intakes till I can figure out these issues. I think this one is just plain worn out beyond practical use.

2. I wouldn't think the inlet valve is size-specific. Perhaps you could swap one from another of your carbs.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  3. Why do you think they are lame? They came out in 1942 on 1/2 ton pickups...they can even be considered "pre war" if you want to get down to it. Whatever floats your boat I guess, but they do make A-V8 conversions easier and way cheaper then 32 K members and pedals.

I just like using Ford parts on my stuff. It all works together with a little tweaking....

4. If I remember right he doesn't like them because they place the engine and trans to high in the chassis and they require lots of reforming to fit.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

1-SHOT likes this.
  5. Hmm, to each their own I guess. Worked well for me and was pretty cake to do. But then again this car is a beater ;)

[​IMG]

TexasSpeed and Hitchhiker like this.
  6. If that winfield don't start behaving soon...

[​IMG]

7. Man this build is like a suspense novel. Between your updates here and instagram your killing me. I'm impatiently awaiting video

8. Put the Winfield in detention...

9. I'll dispose of that Winfield appropriately :)

10. Swap the fuel inlet, hook it up gravity feed and see it it works. If it does then move on to adjusting the fuel pump pressure.

11. Try living it! it's almost a horror movie!

The shelf of carburetors with no uses

I'm sure you would!

gonna try that thanks.

12. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Don't give up on the Winfield hitchhiker! I've got a BB I want to use and your build is one of my inspirations. Go with 62pan's idea and hang in there! Cheers

13. seatex

seatex

Looking real good, Hiker. Can't wait to see the fire up video.

14. I'm not giving up, more just subbing in another till my star player is healed.

Me either!

gwhite likes this.
  15. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

16. just a fyi, the coupe with the f1 crossmember and flathead v8 is a completely different vehicle than the banger truck you are viewing now.

17. Something just broke in the motor.

18. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Statements like that are never good when followed by silence. Hopefully it's only something minor. I was just starting to root for the Winnfield!

19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

OH NO, what happened???

20. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Uh oh.

When you figure out what it is, or need help tearing down, let me know. I've got a pair of motors that could be scavenged for parts if needed.

21. check your length on the started bolts
    sounds like metal on metal in the video
    tk

22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hard to tell in the vid but the fanbelt doesn't look like it is moving. Is your bendix all jammed up?

23. It sounds major.

Not exactly sure. Went to try to start it with 12 volts last night. I just happened to try the 6volt and it makes this god awful screeching metal on metal noise. Hopped out, recorded it, and went back inside and started drinking.

thanks bud, I've got a trailer full of engines to rob from. I'm thinking one of them might get swapped in and we're running a stocker till I get it figured out...

I'd love to have you stop by and listen to it. Just so I know I am not crazy.

I will, but nothing has changed besides the hands on the clock from the last time I tried to start it vs. this time I tried to start it.

I pulled it off to eliminate the water pump and gen from the noise making.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this one...

Not sure what's wrong but it ain't good.

24. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

could it be the starter itself??? armature hitting field pole shoes???

25. take the starter out and bench test that
    pull the plugs and turn the engine over with the crank
    tk

26. Yeah I'd be yanking the starter and seeing what it looks like. I just broke a bendix spring going over to the swindlers run last weekend. Easy fix. It sounds starter to me

27. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

We're trying here for the easy fix!!!!

28. Mart

Mart

Is the starter grounding to the engine block ok? All your ground and battery leads good? Is the engine earthed to the frame and battery?

Hope you can find the problem.

Mart.

29. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I too would bet on the starter. Had the bendix on mine go last year. A chunk of it ended up in the bellhousing. I'm sure that it I hadn't fished it out, it would have made a similar agonizing sound...

30. Walk away, clear your head, and get back to it when the frustration subsides. A man built it, so a man can put it back together.

Don't give up!

Speedy Canuck and Hotrodmyk like this.