Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 Chrysler 3/W Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340 Power, Sep 27, 2014.

1. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Yeah sorry. At this point I'm not even certain I will ever figure out why its titled that way or why that number is stamped in the frame.

One thing I do know is I am still building the car :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Cool beans, going to Hershey???

3. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I wont make Hershey due to our work schedule. There wont be enough hours in the day now till late October.

4. That number on the frame does not seem like a familiar, but I will look into it more.

5. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

There is a reason for that 31Dodger, I had time to check it out tonight. This car was titled in OR. Then WI. after cleaning the area you could clearly see that number TOO CLEARLY! It can only have been there a few years. It's just too clear and of a type of text stamping that would not have been used in 1928. I can find no other numbers on the frame area where they should be. The title also carries the same number.

6. noboD

noboD

I agree with John, the number doesn't sound like a normal DB number. The coupe John posted is one of only a handful of standard six coupes known in our club. Parts will be difficult. Good luck.

7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My chopped up 30 Chrysler or Plymouth CJ-6 frame has its number stamped in the left side rail at least four or five times. I cut out 6" of the frame before the rear kick up and it might have been on there too. I know our frames are different but I wasn't sure if that might mean you have a chance of finding more numbers on yours.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

8. CJ6 is a Chrysler only.

9. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

car looks almost the same as my 1928 fast four.With the firewall recess it looks to be the six.The frame looks different than the one in my fast four.Front cross members are different.The serial numbers were stamped above the rear spring shackle on the passenger side.If you can see it clearly it doesn't seam quite right.My numbers were almost impossible to make out not so much be because of the surface rust but the way they were stamped.It looks like they were hand stamped not all the same depth and not in a very straight line.Mine were rejected by the dmv so I will have to go through a double inspection process to get a title in mn.I may have some parts for sale that I wont be using pm me.

10. chickenshift

chickenshift

Great project, I was looking at buying it, but was really only after the frame, couldn't afford to take on another project. Im on the lookout for a 1929-30 or up to 32 for my Plymouth project if anyone happens across one. Good luck with the coupe, looking forward to seeing the breath put back into it.

11. jdownunder

jdownunder

i started with a 29 chrysler pickup and the cowl is different then yours but you already know that
    your coupe will still make a nice project
    j

12. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

You were right. Thats right where the number is. It is sooooo light you even wonder if you are actually seeing it. I made out about 4 numbers of it after PB Blaster and a soft brass brush. I am hoping this weekend to actually see it all enough to get it wrote down.

13. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Even with the wrong title and registered serial number headache I am glad you passed and I got to buy. I will post pics of whats left after the junk tin was taken off this weekend. I was mildly suprised its better than I thought though it needs a huge amount of sheetmetal work.

14. chickenshift

chickenshift

I've always liked the old mopar 3 windows, good to see the amount of interest in them here on the hamb

1929desoto likes this.
  15. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

photo 1928.jpg Heres my 28 for comparison

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  16. noboD

noboD

Burl, looks like a good start. What is the trailer hitch attached to? looks like it's just sandwiched into the spare tire mount.

17. 1929desoto

1929desoto

I am loosing my mind looking for a VIN on my 29 Desoto coupe. Can someone point out exactly on the frame (rear passenger spring shackle) I should be looking? I have wire brushed that and my dash medallion to death and see nothing. Thanks.

18. F&J

F&J

DeSoto and plymouth never stamped those early frames like Dodge did. At least I have never seen or heard of it, and my books show the ID number on the dash Fedco plate was the only place.

Take the dashboard off, and try to grind the two spot welds from the back. As I recall, there are two pressed-in depressions in the dash skin. Either grind with a small die grinder bit, or use a flattened angle drill bit, but don't go through. Try to go barely the thickness of the dash metal.

Even if you get it off without poking through with the bit, I think two of the numbers will be messed up by the spot welds. But, even on a rusty car, the rest of the back of the tag should be very clean and readable.

19. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Very nice :) I wish mine qas that clean.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Do you have a good photo of the FEDCO plate to post?

21. 1929desoto

1929desoto

Thanks F&J. Here is a pic of mine today. Pulled the body off. It will be a slow build as I am legally blind and it takes forever just to find my tools! IMG_20141002_140939.jpg

Attached Files:

22. F&J

F&J

DSCN1292 (Large).JPG Pics from 1980, of a Model K DeSoto roadster that I built from the remains of several Mopar parts cars. Model K came out late summer of 1928, and ended in spring of 1930, but most will be titled as 1929.

In another recent Mopar builders thread, I posted that "some" roadster body parts were shared by Plymouth, DeSoto, and the smallest Chrysler model 65.

The car in my pics has a hood, frame, and front fenders from a "1930" K Desoto I found in N.J. The doors and rear body came from a 1929 Plymouth model U roadster from up near Boston. The 29 DeSoto cowl came from a cut-down roadster from N.H. I borrowed the old roadster top from my other 29 DeSoto old hot rod from the 1950's, because I was too cheap to have new cloth put on the other set of top irons...plus I was sick of working on it :)

This car had no remaining wood worth saving, so I replaced it all with square tubing 1.5".

I used an early A-body Dart 8-3/4 posi rear with 4" bolt circle, as it was narrow enough to use deep dish chrome reverse wheels. The front brakes on the stock 1930 I beam, were early Dart 4 piston discs, same pattern. Could not afford a 340, so I used a 327 with 4 speed. Pedal cluster from a 1931 Ply worked great as it bolts to the frame side, (not the bellhousing mounted pedals like the 1929 DeSoto/29 Ply had).

Sold it in 1985 for 8K which was crazy money then. Bought a 1932 Ply cabriolet with roll up windows to stay warmer in the weather we have.

23. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

Sure hard to tell by blurry pics but front fenders,grille shell and hood look like my Dodge DA

24. Wow, that is a cool car to end with on all those parts. Nice. Thanks for the posts fellas'.....I appear to be a new fan of that era's Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge Bros/Desoto now. Carry on !

25. Doesn't your DA have ridges on the fenders?

Attached Files:

26. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I am headed to Waverly NY in the morning. Picking up the 291 hemi for the car. After picking up the car last weekend and motor tomorrow, I think I am gonna be road tripped out for a little while.

I still can only see a slight shadow of serial numbers. You know they are there but just can't quite make them out. They are indeed hand stamped and a little crooked.

27. The guy in this thread used muriatic acid to clean the FEDCO plate on his dashboard...
    http://forums.aaca.org/f194/1928-1929-chrysler-model-65-dashboard-340423.html

28. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Fedco code...Hey wait a minute

29. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I got the Hemi home today. I also scored a real deal on this axle and springs too. I am thinking of starting a new build thread since this car is Not a 29 Chrysler. Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

30. Fast start on your plans. Good for you man. You can change your post title if you want, or start anew. Friggin' 291 hemi.....sweet.