Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

WOW. Anyone not think this isn't one of the best stories and threads ever? Thanx so much for sharing. Gary

Stogy and 303racer like this.
  2. Kustomism

Kustomism

Awesome photos , love em !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Stogy likes this.
  3. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again Kids...a couple more for your enjoyment!! Check out the tub! My dad had always said that the tub was one of the best cars he had owned. I think the big deal was that you could pile a bunch of people in and have a grand time! Now as you can see...the tub didn't exactly have a good ending. That's my Grandfathers truck [my Dad's, Dad] that has apparently parked it self on the tub, right there in the driveway. Let me tell you a little about good ol' Granddad. Granddad liked to have him a "little nip" now and then. I'm sure this was for "medicinal purposes" of course! So apparently Ol' Granddad had his "beer goggles" on this day. Brings tears to your eyes, don't it?!! Speaking of Ol' Granddad; I can remember him driving from Pasadena to our house in La Puente. Now this is probably about thirty miles. When he got to the house he was complaining to my Dad that the "damn car" would not go over twenty five miles an hour. Dad took it for a spin and could not find anything wrong. He came back and had Granddad drive for him. Dad came back laughing his ass off...Granddad had driver all the way in low gear!!!! I think he had his "beer goggles" on that day also! Gotta love it! Anyway enjoy! IMG_1051.JPG scan0039.jpg scan0040.jpg scan0041.jpg scan0042.jpg scan0047.jpg scan0048.jpg IMG_1053.JPG scan0044.jpg scan0045.jpg scan0046.jpg

4. Great stories Mike, sad end to a nice Hot Tub.
    Love this photo, from 1947, 87B is the Spurgin/Giovanine '25 Chev roadster, any chance you have a photo from 1948 when it was 15A?
    [​IMG]
    Best thread ever.

5. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Jimmy; can't come up with a picture of Spurgin & Giovanine car when it was 15A. But I do have a time that my Mom logged for the car on April 24-25 1948. 120.32 MPH. Thanks for tuning in, and keep ch scan0043.jpg scan0029.jpg ecking!!

6. firingorder1

firingorder1

Speechless! Lovin' it!!!

Stogy likes this.
  7. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy cow, this is the best thread I have seen for a while. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with all of us. These pictures are so great, its almost overwhelming. I keep going back and checking them out over and over to try and soak them in.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  8. Mart

Mart

Fantastic stuff.

Thank you so much for posting.

Mart.

Stogy likes this.
  9. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Nobey. First off, thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it. The T is my Uncle Don. Don Welsh is his name. He and his wife live in Arizona today. He is married to my Mom's sister. My Dad, his Brother, and Uncle Don were like the three Musketeers. It seem's like they did everything together. Car's, bikes, you name it. The first picture [left to right] is my Dad, my Mom, her sister Dorthy, and My Uncle Don. The Lake's picture is my Aunt and Uncle. Love them "high water" pants on Uncle Don!! scan0049.jpg scan0051.jpg

63fdsnr, Okie Pete, Nobey and 8 others like this.
  10. firingorder1

firingorder1

You're killin' me! What memories!! This thread should be a sticky and compulsory viewing for all HAMB members. Don't worry about your Uncle Don's "high water" pants. He'll grow into them. At least that's what I was told as a kid.

11. Wow if there is any motorcycle photos I would love to see them, I'm a 40s motorcycle nut aswell as hot rods!

Stogy likes this.
  12. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Bloody fantastic...this is what the Hamb is all about!
    Thanks for taking the time to post these wonderful images.

Stogy likes this.
  13. 296ardun

296ardun

I read the updates every time they get posted, can't get enough of this history...this is the Pasadena and these were the hot rods I grew up with...

Cyclone Kevin, Stogy and Atwater Mike like this.
  14. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Wow, great stuff. Thanks for posting. I was born in Palmdale in '39 and lived in nearby Pearblossum. My dad was a race fan and can recall going out there with him on occasion. Only thing I really remember was sitting on a straw bale, the noise and dark cars speeding by. One time I touched an exhaust pipe, ouch.

15. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Equipped28. I see you have replied scan0052.jpg scan0053.jpg scan0055.jpg scan0056.jpg scan0057.jpg scan0058.jpg a couple times and for that I thank you. Not to deviate too far from the post, I do have several pictures of motorcycles. I will post a few for you my friend. The one of the "three musketeer's" is my Dad in the center, his Brother on the left, and my Uncle Don on the right. Now this is taking place some time after the car's. At this point, I think "life happens"! You know, wife, kid's, house payment. Life has a habit of getting in the way of what you really want to do. That's my Dad sporting that good looking cast on his leg!! After the car's, motorcycles, he got into Midget's. But that's a whole another chapter. The motorcycle chapter also brought modern technology. The movie camera. You guessed it, my Mom was now the camera person!! I have probably two hours worth of Hare & Hounds, and Scrambles. That's what they called desert race's back then. Anyway, here are a few photos for you, hope you enjoy. By the way, isn't AJS from your side of the "pond"?

16. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are absolutely right about that 29ardun! Pasadena was defiantly in the thick of things. Keep checking, as I still have more to come. And as you can see a lot of the photos are at my Dad's house in Pasadena. Glad you are enjoying the thread. Thank you all!!

chryslerfan55, Stogy and hendelec like this.
  18. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. I clearly was born at the wrong time. :).

Atwater Mike and Stogy like this.
  19. firingorder1

firingorder1

You gotta stop doing this. I'm destroying my keyboard with all the drooling!!! Love the Ajay and your dad's Velo. Especially the neat fork cut outs. Even looks like a Mustang in the group photo. I started desrt racing in the early 60s. There were still a few bikes like those running but most of the fast guys were on Triumphs. Thanks again for posting all you have. You've made the HAMB worth looking at again.

20. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

I also check this thread every day...and now motorcycles! EXCELLENT !!!
    Thank you again!

Stogy likes this.
  21. thank you so much, looks like early 50s for these pictures. i really like the girder forked cut down in the last picture, reminds me of my own bsa!

Stogy likes this.
  22. deadbeat

deadbeat

wowie,loving this thread,Thank you for doing this.I especially love the story of Grand Dad,,and his beer googles,driving his truck,,too cool

Stogy likes this.
  23. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK Boys and Girls, time to crack the history book again! Went a little two wheelin', now back to the four. But hey....it's all good right!! Here are a couple more pages for your viewing pleasure. I REALLY love the picture of the line up of all the Roadsters. And the blower, damnnnnn. IMG_1054.JPG scan0001.jpg scan0002.jpg scan0003.jpg IMG_1056.JPG scan0004.jpg scan0005.jpg scan0006.jpg scan0007.jpg As firingorder1 will would say...it'll make you drool on your keyboard. Thanks firingorder1!! Buy the way you sure know your bikes! Hope you all enjoy.

24. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Great pictures. I really like the one of Jack Mickelson's roadster. One of my favorites.

Stogy likes this.
  25. Mike, thank you for looking for pics of Spurgin-Giovanine roadster. That program is great, when I buy SCTA programs I always try get the ones with times written down as it gives insight who was running what speeds. Absolutely fantastic thread.

26. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

I'm with you...I really like the roadster line up pic's! Thanks for sharing

Stogy likes this.
  27. firingorder1

firingorder1

That right there is about as good as it gets. As I said before this thread should be compulsory reading for members of the HAMB. Save a lot of stupid question that get asked here. Thanks again Mike. This thread makes my day (week actually).

28. Wow! The most sensational thread on the HAMB for some time. Thank You.

Stogy likes this.
  29. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buckle up Boy's and Girl's couple more pages for you to enjoy. As you can see from the thread some of the picture's are really good, some are so-so, and some are not to good at all. But, I am still going to throw it all in! So you are going to get the "good, bad, and the ugly"! Sounds like it should be a movie! HA! Check out the hood on my Uncle Don's T. # 199. Piece of work huh! Back then they did what they could, with what they had!! As always, thanks for your replies, and support. Enjoy!

IMG_1057.JPG scan0017.jpg scan0018.jpg scan0019.jpg scan0020.jpg scan0021.jpg IMG_1058.JPG scan0008.jpg scan0009.jpg scan0010.jpg

30. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1059.JPG scan0011.jpg scan0012.jpg scan0013.jpg scan0014.jpg scan0015.jpg scan0016.jpg Another page. That's my Mother on top of the "push truck". Obviously "high waters" were in back then!!