Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods help on my disc brake mag wheels bolt pattern

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Sep 29, 2014.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

I bought my volvo hubs first, had them machined to fit my Willys and bought wheels last and the wheels won't work on my hubs.

dum ditty dum dum dum

Attached Files:

2. badshifter

badshifter

Get the right wheels.

3. drumyn29

drumyn29

Lets hear it for some skinny steel wheels!!!

What steel wheel would a 60's gasser use?

4. You still up? Will this work?
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/willys-disc-brakes.528531/
    If not, I'll just melt back to STFU status...and wait for you to whittle up a solution......in time.

Also, if that hub is 5 by 4.5"....trade your wheels for same style Ford pattern....sure you already knew that......so I'll just take previous self advice....and STFU myself. Thanks bro !!

5. drumyn29

drumyn29

STFU?

6. Obscene abbreviation for someone to shut the f up. :) I find myself humbled to ever offer you advice.....so I thought it was appropriate with my post. Lol....I figured you would have already forged some new spindles by the time I chimed in.......and maybe recast some wheels to fit too.

7. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Quain has welded up the holes in his magnesium wheels and redrilled them...if your up for having someone do that. Getting someone to trade for that pattern might be harder than you would think.

Jeem likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

9. I remember a thread on here, where someone used a mill to elongate the holes in the wheels to make them work like unilug wheels. Might be something to consider if you know a good machinist.

10. squirrel

squirrel

I have a few wheels that had the elongated holes when I got them, they do work ok, but it's not something I'd recommend doing on purpose.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Are those 5.5" BC Americans? I would think you could find ten guys who'd trade you some 4.5" BC wheels for those. The 5.5" BC is kinda rare, and with so many guys running old Ford brakes now they are pretty popular.

If you turn those $2500 wheels into uni-lugs, you cut their value to less than half.

If they are 5" BC, then nevermind me.

12. squirrel

squirrel

I was thinking they might be 5.5, not 5. Just put some old Ford drum brakes on it, be done with it

13. Most volvos have a 5x108 bolt pattern or 5x4.25+.

14. drumyn29

drumyn29

The reason I bought them is for some reason I thought that I would have enough meat on the hub to re-drill. What is BC american?

I have old ford steel wheels on the hub now so I'm guessing they are 5 x 4.5.

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have read every post and didn't see where anyone actually measured the "BC" (bolt circle) choice is buy right wheels and sell old ones or slot wheels (I don't recommend on magnesium wheels) but that being said I have the same problem on my MG and just stayed with the original brakes. We bought the American Magnesium wheels new in 1964 for $75 for the pair with the MG bc. (6.5").

Pat

16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want steel wheels. And you have 5on4.5 bolt circle. I have used '62 Rambler American. 15x4. Neat looking wheel. But uses a big dia. hub cap. If your not worried about a cap, then this is your wheel. There is a pair for sale on Baltimore's list for Craig. If you would like to see what they look like. I looked at them. Could be used but need a lot of cleaning. Should be some others around. They were on a lot of these Americans. Center hole is a little small. But if you drop a hole saw over the center flange, it opens right up. Gene.

17. drumyn29

drumyn29

I looked on the list that craig enjoys and couldn't find them.

18. drumyn29

drumyn29

19. What hubs do you have ? Those Ohio wheels have a 5 on 4-3/4 bolt pattern.

http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/1001...or-1962-to-1995-rear-wheel-drive-volvo-models

Bolt Pattern or Bolt Circle.
    The bolt pattern or bolt circle is the diameter of an imaginary circle formed by the centers of the wheel lugs. Most Volvos* use a bolt pattern of 5 on 4.25" (108mm). This indicates a 5-lug pattern on a 4.25" circle, which is pretty much unique to Volvo. A few other cars use this bolt pattern, such as Ferraris and some Fords, but in most cases the offset is different enough to prevent the use of any wheels not built specifically for use on a Volvo.

*Exceptions: 122 & 1800 models up to 1969 use a bolt pattern of 5-on 4.5

20. Kinky6

Kinky6

Neat, but it seems that you have a 4.5" B.P. hub, and those are the Chevy 4.75" B.P. You may want to narrow your search to what will fit without adapting. Maybe some late '50's Ford wheels, or early V8 Falcon wheels, perhaps? Anyone know how wide they were? K6

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

22. elgringo71

elgringo71

My dad told me that he ran wheels off of a falcon Sprint on his 40 willys coupe.

23. Original Poster (OP)...google something like how to measure bolt circles. It would appear that you don't have a clue how to do so.

24. drumyn29

drumyn29

Well I know for a fact that my hubs are 5x4.5 and the wheels that I bought are not, thats really all I need to know.
    Instead of standing around wondering, I take chances, Some times I win and sometimes I lose. You should be brave and give it a try sometime.

25. drumyn29

drumyn29

My Avatar is for guys like this!!!
    I'm fried out on negative car guys and it's a shame because I have met some AWESOME dudes.

26. Hey I love your avatar. Can we get the photoshop guys to make the finger a little more prominent ? Maybe give it an ingrown fingernail and some knuckle hair ?

27. 327Eric

327Eric

Henry js and mid 50's up studebakers came with narrow 15s with the 4.5 b.c. that should be cheap and easy to come by, anyone building a Henry J usually has some laying around.My uncle had a Volvo,a henry j ,A Studebaker and a kaiser in my grandparents yard when I was a kid, so I know they interchange somewhat, but it was a long time ago.

28. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

I see where you could have adapters made from the 4.5 pattern to the 5 in pattern, but it depends on how much leeway you have on spacing your wheels out, how much room you have, what measurement you have from the back side of your hubs where the studs press in to the outer rear wheel bearing surface. I can see why you want to use the wheels as they are really nice. If you have a enough room on the back of the hub you could have a billet steel spacer made hubcentric to the volvo 4.5 pattern, with your wheels 5 inch pattern in between the 4.5 pattern, probably could go 1/2 thick or more if you have the room on the billet steel spacer, countersink the front of the spacers 4.5 pattern. Your factory volvo studs diameter in the rotor and hub I would drill to the next size that I could tap for a countersunk allen head bolt, have the 5 inch pattern drilled for screw in studs from the back side, moser engineering, strange, arp make threaded studs with a very shallow head which by looking at your pics I think would clear your calipers. By countersinking and threading the 4.5 pattern fasteners from the front you won't have interference with mounting surface of your rims and when your rims are bolted up they would have the head of the countersunk 4.5 pattern fasteners sandwiched where they couldn't back out, plus I think you might have enought room on the back of the hub for a thin pinch nut. Spacer needs to be hubcentric to the volvo's rotor. If you have a local machine shop that you deal with I think it could be done. Question is what could you get away with on spacing the wheels out and look right will determine if it is doable. Plenty Hot Rodders have figured out how to use things like this before, because thats what they had or all they could get, by looking at your build threads I think you can make it work if thats what you want to do. There are couple of other ways to do a spacer depending on what your wheel can stand to be spaced out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Sorry to step in, but Volvo from 1922-1970 (1965 first year with disc in front, 1968 is twin cercuit girling 4piston) up to an including Volvo 121/122/123/221, are 5x114.3 metric or 5x4.5 inch. With 1/2 thread UNC, studs in hub. Disc and hub machined to fit each. Fit the same spindel as newer.

1968-2002 starting with 142/144/145/164 abd forward, runs 5x108 metric and 5x4.25. 1/2 studs in hub, with UNC thread. (All 5x4.25 is 4 wheel disc breaks, 1973 164 and 264 is ventilated disc in front, so is 240 GLT and turbo) all Interchange and as long as disc and calibers is same year.

They are interchangeable, if use the wheel bearing that fits the hubs OD is different. ID is the same.

Volvo FWD rims dont fit Real Volvo aka. RWD Volvo.

Early Volvo ran 15 inch wheels in 4, 4.5 or 5.5 inch wide.
    Late Volvo started out with 15 inch same size/design as early Volvo, from 1975 ran 14, but the dont look the part.

Never seen a hub with threads for bolts. What did you do to them?
    No disrespect from me, but why Volvo?

Do you run Volvo hub and Willy's disc?

Sorry for the long answer, but mayby this can help you or others in the quest for the right part

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014