Register now to get rid of these ads!

He who answers Classified Add's & Common Courtesy

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by DE SOTO, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ejsands

ejsands
    from Upstate NY

We have run into this a lot as we often buy/sell parts to make the projects go. It's often an ungrateful job-- pulling a part and hauling it into town for a shipping quote for the cold shoulder. Lately, though... I don't know what's worse: No reply, or someone who wants the tits for free and asks you to split shipping costs.

2. they "checked with their wife" she said no

3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Glad to see your back man!

4. alchemy

alchemy

I've got about ten parts in the classifieds right now, and half of them have had people say they "need that part" and will send payment "right away". I get no money after a couple weeks, and give them a quick PM telling them so. No response out of them at all.

Should we make a list of classifieds "losers"? I have a few recent ones to contribute.

5. Forgive me H.A.M.B. for I have sinned. I have been guilty of offering a part only to have second thoughts and keeping it instead. It's only happened once and nearly a year later I still feel bad about it, kind of.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When it comes to dealing with other humans, in this fast paced, hi-tech, bull shit age, I have learned to expect the unexpected. For me, 40 years ago, a persons word was his bond. My dad taught me that and my friends and even strangers were taught the same way. I still do business like that, when I meet someone who shares the same philosophy.

Your experience with half assed buyers and tire kickers would have been grounds for an ass kicking, 40 years ago. But very few asses got kicked for that reason. In todays world, if I was selling something, I'd always assume the deal will go sour. that way, I won't be disappointed when it does or I'll be elated if it goes through.

So, when it happens again, just say, "Oh well. I just got done dealing with the lower level pond scum that got squeezed out of a tadpoles ass." Then, move on. Shit like that isn't worth the frustration. Let it go.

7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sellers - SPELL OUT your payment terms....... buyer has one week to get money in hand - if not received - will sell to the next person with money in hand.

Spell out freight terms.

Buyers - you say you want it - send the money with in one week. You don't and the seller has EVERY right to sell to the next guy with money.

Sellers - you get the money - you have one week to ship it...........

SELLERS and BUYERS spell out your terms and stick to it.........

It will help eliminate BS buyers and BS sellers.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Very True ....... And I do Both ...

Thing I like about Swaps is if the Guy is Aggressive I can tell him to Eat Shit to his Face & he cant tell Ryan on me :) .............. To many Thin Skinned Arm Chair Hot Rodders on the WEB

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

10. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

Something that I have noticed more lately is the hipster or scene-sters . They fit the comment I first made about help a bro out.

I can't wait till this traditional bandwagon goes out to sea and is no longer fashionable. Thats when I will find it more enjoyable. Like when they were all building streetrods and the stock parts could be found in the garbage can.

11. roundvalley

roundvalley

I get their telephone number and talk to them. Have talked to 3 guys that were asshole on the phone and told them the parts were not for them. Something goes wrong and I call @ 3AM. Got good results two times.

12. Ive had way more buyers flake out than actually follow through. I agree, just let me know you no longer want it, or cant afford it, life happens. If I have a guy flake out with no response, I used to just block them, but then I realized I may be missing out on any knowledge they may have on things other than how to follow through, so now I just have a list on the side of my comp of guys that do that and just dont deal with selling them anymore. Some of the things I sell, I make, so its not like they couldnt wait till they had money to contact. I listed an item I make back before the Hamb update, and I had well over 25 guys say they wanted one, I gave them all the payment info, including my personal cell,,,,,,,,, 2, yes 2, followed through, out of 25+.

One guy "had to have this", I took it to Greyhound to get a quote, wasted about 2 hours of my time, just to have him not reply to any PMs. Then, a couple months later I was selling another part he "had to have", and I wrote him and told him "no thanks, you flaked on this other part", he wrote over and over BEGGING for this new part,,,,,,,,,, burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, never gets a chance to happen.

13. I'd always rather listen to an asshole who knows what he's talking about then a nice guy who doesn't have a clue........ Your posts appear than you know what you're talking about ;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. 46Chief

46Chief

This is along the same lines but somewhat different.
    What do you guys think about someone "well respected" on the HAMB for his metal working skills, that stops responding to calls, texts, IM etc?
    The guy has a part of mine that he was supposed to be fixing and has gone AWOL after 4 months. I see him posting and constantly on the HAMB but no response from him in any way shape or form.
    Would you out him Forums? Could Ryan help? He was replacing some rusted metal and straightening a Model A lower deck panel and I just want to pay him and move on.
    Please don't ask who or where he lives, I don't want to start a war with this guy, I just want my panel so I can finish my car.

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Send the info to Ryan or me to look into to see if we can get it resolved.

16. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Well, let me say two things, they aren't car people and they have poor rearing. I for one love car people and am motivated communicating with them. Frankly if I suspect I am talking to a car person I will put a plan together that will never be refused. Truth is, I would give the part to them if we were face to face. I just love our hobby!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well your first mistake was hauling a part into town for a shipping quote. sold a shitload of old crap on ebay and never went to town for a shipping quote. everything you need is online

18. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Heck I watched the competitions back for years until I found out what they were really doing to my business. It is near impossible to make everyone happy all the time but if you cant at least pick up the phone then he isn't even trying ? Presuming he isn't dead or something? Guess if someone is logging in under his name that would be unlikely. Ryan has his email and could probably be shoot him a email for ya? If that doesn't work I would expose him. When ya get it back shoot me a few pis of what you need done. If I can fix it for ya I will do it for the price of shipping at my cost... very reasonable! This is bull shit... Let me know how this turns out please.
    M.T.

19. I have pretty good luck selling on the HAMB but, recently I paid a lot of money for something that was supposed to be in excellent condition.... It definitely wasn't. I feel the guy ripped me off. He said "well to be honest, I never really looked at the part". Lesson learned for me, first and, last time buying something here. Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate Ryan letting us post free ads and I will continue to sell here!

Dustin

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hey Dustin,

You know what ?
    I want to know who that guy is.......... He said "well to be honest, I never really looked at the part".

"recently I paid a lot of money for something that was supposed to be in excellent condition.... It definitely wasn't.
    I feel the guy ripped me off. He said "well to be honest, I never really looked at the part".

Send me a private message ( conversation) on who that guy is that sells something on the HAMB that is supposably in excellent condition and yet never looked at it"

I want to know for my sake.........

Thanks,
    Cob