Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nostalgia drags sydney

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by blackknight, Sep 27, 2014.

1. blackknight

blackknight

First qualifier
    Spanners 14.584 Anthony 17.845 Jeremy 14.738 steve 13.726 david 14.339 me 13.418

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Excellent! :cool:

However, you both know 13's an unlucky number, you'll need to start running 12's or have to swing a black cat 'round your heads 13 times before each meet.

3. blackknight

blackknight

2nd qualifer
    spanners. 14.406 steve 13.694 david 13.356 me 13.246

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Allll riiiight! :cool:

5. spanners

spanners

Just for once the sun came out and stayed out. We had 7 HAMBsters turn up which was good as it gave some different competition. Jeff has already posted the qualifying times but didn't have access to the other blokes' time slips. The others were Ezio, Anthony and Jeremy. Ezio usually runs low 16s, Anthony low 17s and Jeremy mid 14s.
    My first run was against Jeff with Jeff taking the win. 14.577 on a 14.38 dial against Jeff's 13.674 on a 13.65 dial.
    Second run against Anthony was 14.631 on a 14.42 dial, Anthony's 16.902 on a 16.65 dial with the win to me.
    Third run was against Ezio who doesn't race very often but is known as a very good bracket racer. He dialed 16.00 and ran a 16.193 to take the win against my 14.682 on a 14.42. Unfortunately I forgot to turn my camera on but it would've shown Ezio beating me by half a wheel. The 1/4mile was just 10feet too short or I would've had him.
    The last run for Jeff proved costly as the inline Chev spat the rear main seal out during the run resulting in a clutch full of oil and very low oil pressure. A possible major fix for the boys before next weekend's Championship round.
    Jeremy Boscovich and Steve were supposed to run the final but Steve was a non starter so Jeremy took the solo pass for the win and trophy. Congratulations to him.
    Due to a couple of delays during the course of the day the runs were 1 3/4 hours behind and as a result I didn't get home till 9.30 and into bed after a shit, shower, shampoo and a feed at 10.20. I start work at 2.20am so was a bit fuzzy around the eyeballs driving the roadsweeper.
    Here's a few wideos for you wascally wabbits.

6. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GREAT STUFF!!!!!

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! :D
    Damn, I love the close ones. :cool:

I particularly love the return roads you've shown us, coming back in front of the stands. We don't get to do that, as most of our pits're along side the strips. We used to do at Randy's old Dragfest meets at Famoso, and originally did at Eagle Field. But at Eagle the meet grew too much and got too crowded, and Randy dropped his meets. There're rumors that Dragfest's coming back next year, but so far just rumors.

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Great racing mate! What a beautiful drag strip you have. Love your videos.

9. spanners

spanners

Thank you very much for the kind words. It certainly is a nice 'strip and if I remember on Saturday I'll leave the camera rolling for the complete trip along the return road, the timeslip office and down through the pits.
    I used to feel a bit self conscious driving back past the stands but after a couple of kids waved and gave me the thumbs up I thought, that's cool. Now if they're at the fence waving or giving the thumbs up, I give them a wave in return. I figure that it's the polite thing to do.
    I know that there is people in the stands thinking "why would you bother with an underpowered shit box like that to race", but I don't care, because I'm the one racing with the grin from ear to ear. My wife was in the stands watching one day and a Boofhead near her commented on the slowness of the HAMBsters and she thought" where's your car dickhead?" He was probably there in his Mum's Prius.
    Anyhow, enough rabbiting on. I'll keep you posted after round 8 on Saturday. There's only 2 rounds to go and not a lot between the first three places. Peter

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, you tell'er she has Dick's permission to take the name in vain under those conditions any time. ;)

The number of folks who just don't get this class is legion, even among drag racers themselves. I've always attributed it to an all too common narrowness of vision, and coddled'em accordingly.

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

A 14 or 15 second run in one of these cars is better than 11 seconds in a door slammer. Once you have made a pass out in the open you wonder why anyone would want to drive a closed car. It's fun watching the front wheels wiggle and having the wind in your face. We have a friend who used to fly a J-3 Piper Cub and built a 200 plus MPH home built Harmon Rocket sport plane and he said it was fun, but now he gets to his destination and feels like he was cheated out of his fun flying time. It's not about how fast you go, it's about how you go fast. :rolleyes:

12. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not about how fast you go, it's about how you go fast.

Amen brother, Amen.

13. Spanners, once again Thanks for the rundown and vids of the weekend!Was literally rolling on the floor with the Prius comment.Once saw this on a racing shirt "Anyone can spectate , but only a few choose to participate!"

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  14. Old28

Old28

440 -- Your right about open wheel Dragster's/Altereds/Roadsters, the wind in your face makes for a great ride. I've run 7's with my NE-1 car and the fun level in a HA/GR or SDRA at 14-15's is just the same.

Like I have said many times --- A DAY ON THE TRACK IS BETTER THAN A SEAT IN THE STANDS

Spanners -- Those ride along vids you shoot are a lot of fun to watch, keep it up.:D