Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical leaking at driver side front brake T

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Koolman, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Koolman

Koolman

New traditional brake system installed by me for 40's Ford drum brakes.
    I am getting a persistent brake fluid lead at the driver side T fitting.
    I have a copper washer at the outlet at the hose to the the driver side brake and a copper washer at the banjo bolt with the T fitting.
    I have tightened and retightened several times.
    What am I missing? Would another washer at the banjo bolt help?
    Thanks for your help!

DK

2. Had a similar issue. My metal end of the hose was bottoming out on the mating surface opposite and not allowing the hose fitting to tighten down securely.
    Had to grind a little relief on the backing plate side of the wheel cylinder for more thread penetration.
    Had the exact problem also on my front disc brakes caliper on my other car. Clearanced a small part of the recess in the caliper and all was fine with the car after that. No more leaks.

3. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Try some copper kote (sp?) on the washers. Worked for me.

4. Koolman

Koolman

Thanks Jimmy.
    My problem seems to be a leak at the T fitting where the banjo bolt passes through it.
    I have a copper washer on the banjo bolt head side and on the side connected to the front brake hose.
    Is that correct. Should I try another washer or thicker washer?

DK

5. I had that problem once on a caliper. The copper washer kept leaking. I had to get a washer that was a bit thicker and fit better around banjo bolt. Leak stopped

6. I've found that the "new" copper washers don't seem to work like the old ones, they seem harder and don't conform. Chinese version of copper, who knows. I have been saving every old washer I remove and tend to reuse them instead of the new ones. May help to anneal the washers, makes the copper malleable again.

7. Koolman

Koolman

Thanks for the help.
    I put a second copper washer on the head side of the banjo bolt and that seems to have done the trick.

DK

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Re: Rich B. I always anneal those copper washers before installing them. Never a problem after.
    If you must have thicker ones, they are available thru McMaster & Carr...or mill and bore a pair of genuine 1936 copper Lincoln head pennies...

*Florida counterfeiting ring arrested: Gang was making pennies out of Copperheads*