Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Noooooooooo!!!! Can't let this happen!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Sep 28, 2014.

1. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I almost sold my old coupster body to a guy until he told me he planned to put it on an s10 chassis with full air ride and do a nice stereo in the trunk with two 15 inch subs. The body is currently sitting on its firewall up against a wall in the corner of my garage waiting for me to get time for it. Even my ratty old cut down coupe deserved better than that treatment. I did however sell a nice running driving falcon to a guy that was going to cut it up to save his wife's dad's old car even though mine was in much better shape I understood why he was doing it. So didn't mind it being cut in to peices

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Finally, someone who has good sense.

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I understand what your saying but would never shut down a full price deal on that detail.
    I get callers on stuff all the time and half feel the need to share their build plans with me.
    It should be pointed out that here there have been many posts about someone buying a nice Model A and planning to chop it,lose the fenders and build a traditional hot rod. Somewhere a purist was crying.

4. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

most bare metal cars that I have seen were left that way to show off there amazing metal work. Not all are Rat rods. Just saying.....

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In post #18, the poster says..."to not sell a car for this reason is just stupid and self centered. Think I am wrong?"

Well, as a matter of fact I do think you are wrong......I submit you have it exactly backwards.

The "stupid and self centered" person doesn't give a rat's ass about anything but himself. The intangible qualities of "tradition", "history", "culture", "period style", etc., whether we are talking old cars, houses, works of art.....all have value to many people far beyond the shortsighted and immediate self gratification of a "stupid and self centered" person.

I am NOT advocating that every vehicle, house or other physical property should ONLY be sold to a well vetted buyer......for the most part I agree that the new owner can do as they like.....but most successive owners do not destroy the property in the process. But, when confronted with an individual that explicitly expresses an intent that is so disagreeable, why not refuse to sell the item to that person? There has to be a buyer out there with values closer to one's own.

If none of these old cars we cherish and covet hadn't been kept and or preserved by someone who had an emotional connection with them, they'd all have been sent to scrap by now.

And, finally, if the statement made by many posters is to be believed....that the owner of property has the sole right to do with it what he wants, then the OP, the current OWNER, most certainly has every right to decide whether to sell or not to sell on any basis that suits him!

Ray

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    i.rant, falcongeorge, Saxman and 2 others like this.
  6. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Well, don't sell your truck k to someone who might butcher it. Many years ago you had to very careful how you dressed and what you said to Model A restorer when you were buying their car. If they suspected you planned to rod it, they wouldn't sell it to you. Welcome to old age.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. indyjps

indyjps

Once they leave your driveway it's all over, sold a nice OT muscle car to a guy that proceeded to put skinny 20's on it, had to lift the suspension to do it, big stereo, tore out the original interior for ricer stuff. Oh well, the good thing is a lot of these cars are pretty easily "unfucked" with some body, paint, suspension work.

8. I guess if it were mine and I was "hemming and hawing" about selling it to someone that was going to do something I didn't want done, I'd pull it off the market. I don't thing you really want to sell it, do you.

9. tjm73

tjm73

When I was looking to sell my OT Mustang a friend of mine said to me "Don't you want it to go to someone that will take care of it and keep it nice." My response was "Once I get my asking price, I don't give a shit what he does with it." My point to him being once I get paid I move on and once the buyer pays it's his to with as he pleases.

10. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everyone knows once the guys hands over the cash he can drive it off a cliff if he wants to.
    BUT that doesn't mean you have to sell it to him knowing he wants to do that.
    You have every right to wait for the buyer you want to have the truck.

If you were elderly and the truck was in your family a million years and you chose to sell it to a scrapper, or sell it for the same price to the good 16 year old who mows your lawn every saturday and loves old trucks, well I think we'd all make the same decision there. Even though its the same damn principle, some people think its blasphemous to be so choosy when selling a car under normal circumstances.

Muttley likes this.
  11. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I had an OT '72 H-D Sportster I wanted to sell, a guy wanted to buy it but told me he was going to scrap everything but the engine. I had worked to build what I had envisioned to be a cool bike, then to have him say otherwise, NO SALE! I fully understand. I wouldn't have sold either.

12. I have never cared what happened to a car once I sold it. If I am selling it I have had my fun with it.

But in the '90s I did find a '55 Desoto 2 door in nearly stock condition, it needed some transmission work but nothing for an old mechanic. So I rolled out the cash. The seller asked what I was going to do with it and I told him I was going go clean it up and use it for daily transportation. he refused to sell it to me because he said, "you can't drive a car like this!!!!!"

it takes all kinds of people to make this world spin, if you don't want to sell it because of what the new owner might do with it then don't sell it to him and let it go at that.

13. Squablow

Squablow

I've told a few demo derby drivers and scrap dealers to fuck off, but that's about it. Yeah, it sucks to see something you put time into get changed, but then again, every car I've ever bought got stuff changed on it, sometimes just detail stuff, sometimes totally rebuilt. I am almost finished painting a car that was built with the "barn find patina" look in mind, it's just not my style (although the owner has seen it since and seems to like it). If you're going to sell it, you have to be willing to let it go.

And I'm with this guy, if I got that truck, those cheezy wheels would be the first thing to go.

14. I get what you're saying. Sometimes you love your car a little too much, even though you want it to go down the road to someone else. In your mind, you want someone to appreciate it as you did. Further point is....that once you sold it, and feel good about it.....you don't ever want to know the horrors that may very well lie in wait.....with it's future owner/owners.
    Pssssst......buy it, and make me feel like it is still a great idea to sell it.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is the very reason I could never sell my 61 Dodge Dart. it is all original even the paint, though it is fairly worn out. I would hate to sell it to some rockabilly poser who paints it flat black with skulls and Mexican blanket interior and turns it into an ugly piece of crap.

if I did have to sell it when people showed up with tats and a pompadour I would tell them it was sold and wait for a guy to show up with a Mopar cap driving a Dodge truck.

Saxman likes this.
  16. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

I like it the way it is and would like for you to pm me your asking price I have been in the AD market for quite a while now and have not yet been able to fiind the rite truck but I do think this maybee the one.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. ^THIS!! For me, there is a lot more to this car thing than money. Sure, the new owner has a right to do what they want with it. While I am still the owner I also have a right to do what I want with it, including not selling it to someone who is going to fuck it up. In my opinion, if all I cared about was the money and didn't really care about the cars, then I would just be a whore, wouldn't I?

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, sold it anyway, regretted it immediately, and ever since...Guess I'm just a sentimental fool. cant even remember what I spent the money on, and if I had kept that particular O/T car, it would now be worth roughly 20 times what I sold it for...

19. Your car to do what you want with as long as you own it, including not sell it.

I've told more than a few to pound sand over the years, a guy was asking about my '40 Buick coupe - a Roadmaster and fairly rare car - and starts in how he wants to cut it up to make a coupe out of a Cadillac. I said thanks but no. Another guy wanted to buy one of my '39 Chevy coupe doors - and wanted me to measure them to see if they'd fit. Turns out he had no idea what year his own car was, and didn't even care enough to sort that out because it was "just a rat rod". '39 stuff is one year only. Between that and that I'd have to pack and ship the thing to the west coast, I said no thanks. I could see this idiot getting the door, finding it didn't fit, and then expecting to be able to return it to me. Don't need that hassle. Not always about the money here.

20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Sounds to me the guy is jerking you around. If he's jerking you around like that already, not even having placed a bid, he'll probably be doing it through the whole process. It's a good policy to ignore people like that.

21. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

PM sent.

22. Muttley

Muttley

Exactly, I'd never sell a car I cared about to someone I knew was going to ruin it.

23. You wouldn't sell a car you really cared about (period).

I use "You" to mean anyone and everyone- not to single you out.

Why must the next guy need to have your same dreams and visions? Why does transfer of ownership remain conditional and not fully transferred with some tentacle of control trying to be imposed?

I don't get it ?

Selling is choice just like buying. Letting it go is an exchange, its black and white, on or off, there's no middle ground here. They pay you to give up your rights of ownership.
    You couldn't sell 1/2 interest in a vehicle any more than you can sell 98% interest in it, on the rare occasion that partners join in a car its a mutual decision. You can't hold onto 2% , you don't get to keep any of it.

How would it be if the new owner said hey "our" car or "your" needs a repair and you need to help fix it ? It should be ok with anyone who want to hold onto that control

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  24. BLAKE

BLAKE

I think the real lesson here is that many/most guys who go to the trouble of fixing up old cars are sentimental fools who don't want to see the cars ruined, so it's kinda silly for a potential buyer to describe to the seller all the changes he intends to make before the deal is actually done.

25. Yeah,I've sold a Model A pickup and got exactly I wanted for it but I didn't care for the direction & changes he said he was going with the truck.

I saw the truck about 6 years later and had always wondered what happened to it,,when I saw it I was shocked.

It was a billet laden street rod/clown car,,the owned appeared to have no plan in mind and seems to add the newest product offered with a 1-800 phone call.

The strangest and most hideous clown part added was the stupid wing that he had bolted onto the bed cover which was higher than the cab on the truck.

The guy ask me could he take a photo of me beside the truck,I declined and told him I wouldn't want anyone to assume I was the builder and take anything away from him and his skills.

I hated the truck but didn't see any reason to be a jerk and tell him how fugly I really thought it was. HRP

26. See this chevy truck hood ?
    I'm going to cut it up and make a coupe roof out of it.

It's a perfectly good chevy truck hood too.

Can we have a moment of silence as the hood gives up its essence to become a hot rod roof

image.jpg

27. Cut That Sucker:D

28. I had a '51 Chevy car hood for a long time and couldn't give that thing away. I couldn't even tell you what happened to that.

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Your are correct....you do not get it. It' not about the 'specifics' as much as it is about general direction that will be taken. It's not "black and white". Few things are. People who recognize there are many shades of gray in between the extremes are less frustrated, and better prepared, to navigate through life.

And people do sell vehicles and other items that "they care about", for various reasons.
    They do recognize they are relinquishing 'control' over the item but want to think the next owner's stewardship will maintain, in some fashion, not destroy the item. If they think the latter is likely, they may very well decline to entrust the item to some potential buyers.

If you had a pet, a dog for instance, that you wanted/needed to place in another home for whatever reason, would you really give no thought to how it may be treated by it's new caretaker?

I have to wonder though, why this notion strikes such a nerve with so many posters to this thread. Are those reactionaries imagining themselves being denied the opportunity to purchase some desired item, and not liking the idea of their plans being foiled? If that is the case, I have to ask........which party is the REAL control freak in this drama.

Ray

49ratfink, Road Runner and Saxman like this.
  30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are far more good AD truck hoods in search of a good truck than there are good AD trucks in search of a hood. Slice away!!

Ray