Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Sachem Special; a little 'T and A' for the ROG

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by general gow, Jul 14, 2014.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Yes, Bill. Many pilgrims were badass too. Maybe the next one will be a pilgrim car.

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

OK so your next project should honor fermented beverage. The pilgrims landed where they did because the ran out of beer. Beer being sterile, and not spoiling and fouling like water, was important aboard ship. So they landed, went ashore looking for some grain and fresh water to make more beer. Your doubters can look it up.

Nice project by the way. Don't forget to double check your fuel line before you hit the beach. And what's up with the Mopar next to the T?

moose likes this.
  3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

@plym_46 that's a 1950 Dodge 4 door that my son is working on. It's been stagnant for some time now, as he has been focusing on work and school. But he'll get there.

4. Willy, I'm going to name my next Gow Job the "John Alden ordinary" and tear up the cart paths of "Olde Plimoth Plantation" while wearing a Pilgrim hat.....

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man....She looks SWEET!!!!!!!!! Love the Indian head and the yellow......You did a great job!!!!

6. moose

moose

Greg- I plan to get over there soon and consume some "fermented beverages" while working on his son's 50. I'll build and install a manifold, get it to run and drive, then kick him in the butt!

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  7. adam401

adam401

Wow!!!! Mark your doing an awesome job. Absolutely nailed it and with Moose speed equipment your sure to win!

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

A last minute engine swap has me a little behind schedule. But it'll be worth it. Going to a B motor, .080 over, counterweight crank, cammed, etc. Should allow the speed goodies to have a bigger impact.

[​IMG]

9. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I love this thing!!! so much-
    The indian head really makes it- when this ages a bit its really going to look the part- :)

Tuck

volvobrynk and gwhite like this.
  10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

@Tuck i'm gonna park it outside for the rest of the month leading up to TROG.

11. It's looking great, and with the new motor it should run just as good as it looks

general gow likes this.
  12. cball

cball

looks awesome mark!

gonzo and general gow like this.
  13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Getting some assembly done. Torqued down the head, installed intake, exhaust, starter, gennie, etc. etc. I'll be working on it again Wednesday afternoon.

[​IMG]

Reppin' the Alter Boys with a mini hatchet plaque.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk, kiwijeff, moose and 3 others like this.
  14. gonzo

gonzo

Me Like^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. That looks great!!!

16. Dig the tommyhawk

17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Got this thing to fire off Friday night finally. @moose came over and we got a bunch of stuff done. While wondering why the thing didn't run all that well, Moose opened up the screw on the fuel bowl of the front carb and dust came out. So I guess I didn't do a very good job of randomly selecting the right carbs out of the stash...I'll dig into that issue today. Do some more permanent wiring. Finish floors and mount the seat.

We leave for Wildwood in 10 days.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk, Angry Frenchman and gonzo like this.
  18. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Haha that's funny! We got ours fired off on Saturday. Ours was running like shit too until we discovered the wide open hole in the intake! :eek: It ran a little better without the huge vacuum leak!

volvobrynk and general gow like this.
  19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

@'54Caddy did you see pics of the inside of @Pete 's exhaust? Fairly hysterical too. It's amazing the crazy things you find when working on old junk!

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Made a starter button inside the cab by mating a Model A choke rod to a stock floor button rod. Used a bit of brake rod as a bracket up top.

[​IMG]

Did another quicky engine turn job with a wire wheel on the dash, and fit a Model A instrument panel.

[​IMG]

21. gonzo

gonzo

What did you do, stay home sick today so you could play in the garage?

22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

@gonzo no class til 4 on Tuesday. I should be in the studio painting, but I gotta get TROG behind me first...

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. juniorsrodshop

juniorsrodshop
    from nh

24. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

When I was cleaning out my (soon to be new shop) grandfathers old pole barn I found a little tomahawk- its so damn cool.... and I was fiddling around with it and cut myself... Its still razor sharp. Its the kind you would throw at a tree or something- really well balanced. Seeing one turned into a plate RULES- there is so many cool little details.

I really dig this build gow-

The first model A I ever chopped was a sedan that was cut down into a pickup- I got the banger running and drove it all around the farm between my our house and my grandparents... I think I wacked 7" out of the roof... haha- way too much.... but it looked SO COOL. - old engines- don't care what they are RULE.

The whole TROG thing in general is a great idea- wish I was in a position to even attend as a spectator. Really inspiring!

25. Dig the engine turning! Wire brush, huh. Might be a good 'tech' thread! The over-the-counter stainless & aluminum engine turned sheets are gorgeous, but just a hair too perfect IMO.

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Took it for a quick drive. Clutch won't disengage. Scary! I hope I don't have to pull the motor to fix the clutch...

28. gonzo

gonzo

It sounds like the clutch plate has rusted to the flywheel. In the past I have put the rear of the car on jack stands and run the motor in top gear then hit the brakes while depressing the clutch pedal. Its worked a couple times (and also not worked a couple).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.