Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Richard Gregg's Shoebox Pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Richard Gregg's Shoebox Pickup

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kiwijeff and dana barlow like this.
  2. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

when I was in high school in the late 50s these pickup conversions were really in style. By then, '49-'51 Fords were back of the lot used cars and the choice of high school kids that could afford a car and insurance, NY at that time requiring an insurance binder at the time you registered your car. The shoebox pickups were all around, magazine coverage and being built in our area, rather crude sometimes but always attracting the interest.

3. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

That thing looks badass

4. I thought about turning my super-solid '49 more door into a pickup, but I was intimidated by the work involved. So instead I bought an already chopped '51 tudor that turned out to be a total POS rust bucket and a 4 years-and-counting build. Hindsight is 20/20.

This is a sweet and well thought out custom. Fantastic proportions.

Eric H likes this.

5. I remember falling in love with this car when the magazines hit the stand back when. You're right about the proportions being absolutely on target, and the panel painting/scallops puts the right emphasis on it's lines. Man, would I love to stumble across that one today. Is it still alive?

6. Eric H

Eric H

I'm not normally a fan of pickup conversions, probably because few are done right. This is on of the ones done right, beyond right in fact. I can't decide if I would rather have it or the Betty Elizabeth Shampoo car, I guess I'll take both.

7. That is really cool. Man the metal work on that........torch days......geez. Amazing, what those guys accomplished.

8. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Anyone know if this car/truck still exists? Mega bad ass!

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

Perfect proportions,attention to detail,a definite hit :)

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I am not a huge fan of pick up conversions either,but that looks really cool!

Eric H likes this.
  11. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car is really cool! I love the exhaust/bed rail idea. Wonder how hot they got? I'm not totally sure if like the headlights or not, but I feel the same way when they are on a '57 chevy so I guess that means they work here?! Maybe 56 or even 57 olds lights would please my eye just a little better, maybe not. Neat car!! I too am wondering if its still around??

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first thought too. I imagine there was a burn or two caused by those.

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

JKustom, the old (1950s) Honest Charley catalogs sold bed rail chrome exhaust pipes for your pickup. Came up through running board just aft of the cab and made a 90 and followed the bed rail. Big back then.

14. Torchie

Torchie

I dig it !!
    Torchie.

15. catdad49

catdad49

Have been a fan of this style 'truck' for many years, not all were of this caliber, but cool none the less. The local scrap yard had a '55 Buick that utilized a Chevy 3 window p/u cab at the back and the result was paint two tone red and metallic gray. This truck still survives(as far as I know) and was nicely finished with the stock interior.

16. autobilly

autobilly

I'm diggin' the paint job too.

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

One of the better jobs for sure

18. I was 11 yrs. old when this car made a huge impression on me in '59. I stared at the pictures
    for hours to figure out how it was built. I love every line of it and the paint is absolutely perfect.
    Brings back many memories.

19. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

This Ford and a 56 Dodge were done right.

20. I'd love to see a 49-50 version of one without all the front customization. Anyone?

21. raymay

raymay

Kind of in the tradition of the Australian Ford Ute but with a much nicer designed roof line than what was common with the Utes. I researched at a lot of conversion ideas before I did my own 56 Chevy. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/some-pics-of-my-friends-1956-elcamino.399170/
    In my opinion many builds seem to loose it with the rear roof lines. Gregg's Shoebox nailed it and with the right amount of custom for the era in which it was built, this car is a fine example of attention to detail.

22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A very cool truck! Thats the first color shot I've ever seen of it. Was it actually red or a burnt orange? Either way it "pops" with those scallops!

23. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Timeless custom.

24. Managed to find one of those old "little pages" mags that lit the fire many moons ago. This from Oct. '59 with a color cover shot of Gregg's custom and a two page article from inside. As a bonus, a second similar rig, though not as attractive to my eye, also featured on the cover and inside. Enjoy......... gregg ford custom 02 cover.jpg gregg ford custom 03.jpg bernier ford custom 01.png

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Very cool custom ! as a metal man I can appreciate the work involved to execute this CUSTOM

26. verde742

verde742

Always liked the pickup of Richard's, BUT wished he would have selected 55 chev headlite rims,

Wanna know where it is also,, Richard, are you out there? Want the rest of the story....

27. Gomes

Gomes

It's a long story but it's alive and well . and will be at GNRS in the suede palace. unburied and dug out from the dead ! IMG_4009.JPG !

Kit Bash, Phillips and kiwijeff like this.
  28. Long story or not, you should tell it here................... Please!

29. ^^^x2 please.
    Not only chopped, but sectioned as well, is why the proportions work so well, I'd guess.
    Love the bed pipes. This would certainly solve the problem of those who lean on people's rides, as I'm sure one or two found out.

30. Gomes

Gomes

In storage for the last 40something years, right around the corner from me the whole time. It started 1 month ago when I put a picture of (Bob Dron's) The Shampoo truck on our Facebook page my buddy Boogie Briez called me and said my bosses dad has a truck like that and I said really? Ya' and he wants to sell it . a week later I get a call to tell me come look at it and as the old barn door got pried open there she was buried in mud , windows down and complete minus side pipes and hub caps. towed it back to the shop and parked it next to The Shamoo Truck .
    One note the car was Candy Red and Gold not all the stuff the web says and was named "The Capri"

Attached Files: