Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel and brake line clamps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by porkchop4464, Sep 21, 2014.

1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Simple and straight forward question. Getting ready to secure my brake and fuel lines for good, and I don't want to drill into frame. Friend of mine says, "Don't worry about it; doesn't weaken anything!"
    I just don't like the idea of making a bunch of unneeded holes.
    So, I was thinking about threading a nut loosely on the tip of a long threaded bolt and holding and welding in place against the frame rail inner sides. I know I won't get much thread on each, but at least I am not going through. Any "oldtimer easys" on this one?
    Pork

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Secure your fluid lines every 12" with those steel 'P' clips with rubber / vinyl insulators or with other S/S (Single/double) clamps. OEM manufacturers do it and use plastic/nylon blocks these days.. Simple manner of drilling a small hole and tapping a fine machine thread and using thread lock. No it won't weaken chassis. Mine have been on 10yrs now and have never been serviced. Out of sight, out of mind. Place them on the vertical surface of the chassis and not the underside (Horizontal) surface or where they will foul on steering, brakes or suspension and away from heat sources..

3. The coupe has a TCI frame. Lines are held in place with black good quality nylon clamps. The frame was drilled and tapped to 10-32 machine bolts. No problems since 1995.

4. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Thanks guys, maybe I will just go that way. Certainly easier. Anyone not drill? Am I just nuts for worrying?

Pork

5. Its not going to weaken it drilling and tapping tiny holes, but if you insist on another route, you could always weld studs to the frame and bolt it on that way.

6. When I was building my plane I looked at some 3M special threaded attachments that you attached by pulling off the seal which activated the super duper adhesive and sticking them where you wanted them - seems like they were $20+ each. Drilling a hole in the chassis for a 10-32 threaded hole won't hurt the chassis at all, and the DGW series of Adel clamps in various sizes really work well to hold lines, etc.

7. I assume it's boxed or you can used the stock 60's frame clips. You can get a piece of #10 threaded rod, cut small chunks off and weld them to the frame. But I also drilled and tapped my frame (boxed) with 10-32 screws and Kugel clamps (all stainless, but will be painted black). I also used this to make things go faster.
    [​IMG]

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

You're over-thinking it.
    Drill baby, drill!

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I attach them with #10 self drilling screws. Quick and easy

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes.

11. Adel clamps are the way to go!
    [​IMG]

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

X2 on the kugel clamps. speedway also has them. tiny holes will not compromise the frame.

13. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I like to take a 1/4 -20 bolt and weld the head to the frame ( box tubing) as a stud and use the adel clamps. The extra thickness of the head and the clamp keep the line off the frame so no crap and water / moisture is trapped between line and frame surface.

14. If you drill and tap the frame like suggested above, i'm sure you could buy a small nylon washer that would go between the frame and the clamp to space it out a little like to keep stuff from building up there.

That is exactly what i'll be doing on my Roadsters chassis.

15. Hey, thats neat. I have never seen one of those. Where did you get it?

16. I got mine from a friend, but I've seen them at MSC, Enco, Fastenal. I would think a cutting bit or machine shop supply place might have them too.

17. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

56don likes this.