Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need clarification on 57 Ford frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jvo, Sep 22, 2014.

1. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am beginning a project on a 57 Ranchero. It is quite rusty on the underside, and the frame is pretty much toast. I have been reading every thread I can find on 57's to try and determine what frames might work. I know the wagon frame will work, but haven't found a donor car yet.
    Some say that the 116 wheelbase frames are all the same and some say not. Can I get some advice please from some knowledgable folks on 57 Fords?
    My first guess is that the sedan frame might be the same, but with different body mounting tabs than the ranchero, but that's just a guess on my part. If that were the case though, I could easily fab new body mounts to fit my ranchero body.
    I have also read that the skyliner and convertible frames are different, but just that they have a big x member in the middle for extra strength.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. I about guarantee you're going to find that's the case. I can tell you the X-member deal is right on, I almost bought a '58 Edsel ragtop years ago where the X was all that held the front of the car to the back, if you stood on the right rear bumper corner you could see the whole body twist.

3. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

57Fordsforever site will have all the questions answered about your ranchero. You should member up! Also if you need a frame American Chassis. HRD

4. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

X2 what hotroddonnie said. Lots of 57 info over there.

5. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did sign up for the 57 forum several days back, but someone must be slow on the switch there, as I haven't been approved as a member yet, so I cannot post yet. Thanks.

6. JVO I can almost guarantee that the wagon frame is going to be what you want if you can't find a Ranchero Donor. A '57 Ranchero was basically a '57 Ranch wagon with the back of the roof cut off.

I have got to ask what do you consider to be toast chassis wise. I have had a few old frames that were "toast" that just needed a good repairing. Steel plate and a good welder can work wonders on an old frame and while it is not as easy as moving your body to a different frame it can produce excellent results.

7. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My frame is toast because it is so badly rusted there is almost nothing left of it at the drivers side front spring hanger. Extreme rust. I think it might have been sitting on the dirt at some point in time.
    What I was really wondering was if a sedan frame would fit with some mounting point modifications. Thanks.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search here for thread title - 1957 Ford Frame - may have some info to help you.

9. big M

big M

These frames directly interchange-
    '57 Ford Ranchero
    '57 Ford wagon
    '57 Ford sedan delivery
    '58 Edsel wagon

These models when offered with air suspension will have different frames, just so you know.

---John

loudbang likes this.
  10. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

It takes a bit. At one point I wasn't sure if I was worthy of being a member, then a few days later they broke all the rules and let me in! HRD

11. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I talked to a guy on the phone today who owns a few rancheros and wagons. He told me the biggest difference is the crossmember above the rear axle is totally different from a sedan. I can't imagine that being that hard to fab up though, if I could find a good sedan frame. He might have a good ranchero frame for me, though. I'll know in a few days. Thanks.

12. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Checkout 57Fords.com and go into specs, they tell you all the wheel base sizes on all the 57 Fords.

13. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Looked in my 57 Ford shop manual and it states "the SW, SD & Ranchero use the basic car frame except that the rear cross members differ". Looking at the picture they highlite the cross member and a body mount behind the cross member being different. I think with a little fab work a 57 custom frame will work.

14. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not just swap the cross members? Unless the original is bad.

posted via smoke signals made with a Mexican blanket

15. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I could determine if the sedan frame rails themselves were the same, and only the cross members were different, I would definitely switch the cross members. I can stick my arm through my main frame rail at the drivers side rear spring hanger.