Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does the HAMB really need another shoebox build thread?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

True inspiration !

2. chop777

chop777

Sweet man.....I like the front end work the best....sweet ...great reading thread

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Thanks guys. I'm still picking away at it, nothing worth posting lately but I should have an update soon.

4. Go man go! :cool: You get a shop heater yet? Ole man winter is approaching the great white North soon :eek:

5. Man, I've been keeping an eye on sales since last winter to maybe save a few bucks on a heater... no luck. I've got a line on a used car lift, so it might come down to freezing my nuts off again if I spend my loonies on that instead. Lift? Heat? Decisions... I need to sell some flathead blocks to make some room and some money! :D

stealthcruiser and GAOldsman like this.
  6. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

A friend told me if he lost everything in his shop the first thing he would replace was his lift. Go for the lift and a torpedo heater.

7. Eric H

Eric H

Heat! I have a gas line in my garage, saving my twonies for a heater.

8. I hear ya brother. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you on buyer's for the flatties. There was a cat from Texas looking for one on instagerm, but shipping would outweigh feasibility. I don't know if you have a Fastenal store near you but the ship from store to store fairly reasonable.

9. Go with the lift. Then you won't have to lie on the floor, and you'll be a little bit warmer. Plus, you can wear more layers because you won't have to try and fit under the car on jacks.

You have a lovely wife to keep you warm, but I doubt she can hold the car up for you. :D

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I haven't checked in on your progress in a while... man is this car turning out awesome. Great work!!

11. I bought one of these from Northern tool.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577749_200577749
    It even keeps things warm when it gets down below -40 around here. I got lucky as the first one showed up with the case bent so they sent a second and were supposed to send paper work for me to send back. They sent UPS to my house three times to pick it up but never with any paperwork so they wouldn't take it. Eventually they ended up forgetting about it and I sold it and recouped most of my cost on it. Maybe you might have the same luck.;)

Eric H likes this.
  12. cmarcus

cmarcus

Big A - Just worked through this whole thread, and selfishly, as I went along was hoping for a "finished" car photo. Once I got to the one from the show in the rain, it made my day! To see you work so hard and not be afraid to get after it, I felt the pride you must feel!! Keep it up brother!!

prefect20 likes this.
  13. I'd go for the lift brother.

14. You and me both brother.

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Keep trucking dude, you're making some great progress. I dig the front end treatment, like I've told you before you are building something special here. Its pretty hard to make a custom with style, restraint, proportion and still have it look unique...and you are well on your way to doing that.

GAOldsman likes this.
  16. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

Big A do you have any pics for the front floor support mods you did? I looked thru your pics and didn't see any

17. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Looks good keep up the good work Rog

18. morehead

morehead
    from canada

Nice work man!! send me some your motivation had my shitbox in the heated garage for almost ten years!

19. You have done an awesome build so far , They say Jesus turning water into wine was a miracle, and I am sure it was but this build rivals that miricle with only a little beer, Rockwell cut off discs , and a lot of imagination and stick-to-it-ness. Can't wait till the end, thanks

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Its been a while,any updates?

21. The only update lately is I have heat in my shop now (darn good thing these days too!), so hopefully I'll have some updates on the car soon.

I've hit a wall on a few things, Devil in the details and all that. I'll have to go backwards on some stuff before I move forward, that kinda took the wind out of my sails mentally for awhile.

Woogeroo and stealthcruiser like this.
  22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I noticed few things too that i'll change,but that didnt cause any mental shutdown.
    But i guess its same thing in every project,there is always some changes in the original plan.
    Keep it up!

23. frosty-49

frosty-49

Been there done that love what you are doing

24. AKCJ

AKCJ

I really like the build. Especially the tail lights and dash. Keep at it!

25. Updates or are ya snowed in?

26. Bump for April :rolleyes:

27. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

28. You might think after all this time I could show some pics of me terrorizing the neighbours with smokey burnouts or something.

Yeah... no. I've accomplished next to nothing in the last 6 months. Lost my mojo, and it was too damn cold to thaw it out, but things are very slowly creeping along again.

About 3 years ago I made a little trunk latch dealio that was kinda flimsy. It worked, but it would flex and I just never really liked it much...

[​IMG]

So I put pen to paper and came up with this...

[​IMG]

Which I made into a little posterboard mock-up because I'm crafty like that...

[​IMG]

Once I figured out that it would fit and made some adjustments, I transferred the pattern to 18ga...

[​IMG]

And got to snippin', grindin' and drillin'...

[​IMG]

...and (the fun part) bendin' and weldin'...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made a new inner tail pan, which was all sorts of compound curve bending fun. No pics of that process.

The new latch support is in, does what it's supposed to do and is a helluva lot beefier than the last one. I just have a hunk of wire on there for now, hopefully today or tomorrow I'll figure out how to route a cable from somewhere. Not quite sure if that's going to go inside or outside the car. It won't be powered, just a hidden pull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How's that for the mother of all updates?! We waited 6 months for that? A trunk latch? Good lord. Worse than the Walking Dead season finale. Sheesh...

Kage, Eric H, Dog_Patch and 7 others like this.
  29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to see that you are getting your mojo back!
    A small update is better than no update at all,keep it up!

30. Damn....don't spoil it for those that haven't seen it yet.

Looking good.....august is coming....