Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carter AFB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CGkidd, Sep 22, 2014.

1. CGkidd

CGkidd

Trying to find out some info on a Carter AFB I picked up this weekend. It has no stampings I can find, no drilled vacuum ports and the fuel inlet appears to be on the driver's side. There is no choke but there is not even linkage for it. As you can see in the photo the driver side has the inlet with filter casting but the passenger side doesn't. For some reason the accelerator pump linkage is pushing the primaries open. Any ideas what it came off? NCM_0121 (2).jpg NCM_0122.jpg NCM_0125.jpg NCM_0123.jpg

2. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Secondary from a buick nailhead dual quad setup looks similar

loudbang likes this.
  3. Ole don

Ole don

Look for four numbers on the flange under the accelerator pump. With no choke, one would think it was a factory secondary on a two - four set up.

4. squirrel

squirrel

someone stuck some screws in the holes for the choke actuator shaft....which means (to me) that it is a choke model carb, that someone removed the choke from, so it's an incomplete carb.

5. CGkidd

CGkidd

Yeah thats what I thought on the lack of choke, whoever did it removed all the brackes and linkage also.

6. CGkidd

CGkidd

Curious about the driver side inlet.

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

only numbers any where on the outside are casting numbers only.

8. CGkidd

CGkidd

primary butterflies are numbered 2-253 10deg and secondaries are 2-196 15deg, body has a casting#1673 and top has casting# 1593.

9. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a primary carb, with a secondary top. It has idle / mixture screws on the bottom, but no choke on top.

10. CGkidd

CGkidd

Well still no luck on what it came from. Any ideas where I should set the float level to start with? It was actually real nice inside just got done cleaning it in a ultra sonic cleaner with JP-5. Also on the actuator pump should I pre soak it or assemle dry?

11. squirrel

squirrel

usually the floats want to be level, parallel with the air horn. At least that's a good place to start.

If the pump is leather, then soak it in oil. If it's rubber, then leave it dry.

12. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is for a '64 Max Wedge cross ram. It should have a choke in it. And that's one of the hardest pieces to find. I have a pair and a half. I would like to have it if you would like to sell it. P.M. me. Thanks, Gene.

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

What kind oil should be used on the pump?

14. squirrel

squirrel

engine oil. doesn't really matter, though.

15. CGkidd

CGkidd

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Large air horn rules out a lot of GMs. I think it was manual choke I don'r see a vacuum port where the auto choke would have mounted.

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ