Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. captmullette

captmullette

damn nice......jealous....go brother go....

2. Shoot, Nobby's Auto Parts (from the original Hilborn receipt) is still in bidness! Check the google street view.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410907596.184038.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

tylercrawford and GAOldsman like this.
  3. Just read the whole thread...cool stuff here. I'm looking forward to seeing and photographing your car at Greer next Spring.

Frank Taylor likes this.
  4. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

The ladder bar stuff was very helpful! I had planned on building a very similar set but did not think about the bend in the top bar...now to find some threaded plugs.

5. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Way cool stuff with the injection!! The bars are lookin great!! I really need to take a ride that way and check it out!!

6. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Tony the car looks great,i can't wait to see it finished.

7. cmarcus

cmarcus

Definitely watching this one. Keep it up!

8. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Tony do you know of any more of us that are building cars to the South East Gasser rules that are on the HAMB? Quain said there were 15 cars being built and you and I make 2 sooooooo..........?

II FUNNY likes this.
  9. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

There are four cars up north here being built to Quains rules for sure, possibly a fifth...for sure a 64 ChevyII, 55 Ford, 32 Chevy sedan and an Austin A40.

Bean Dip likes this.
  10. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

That's so stinking cool! Can't wait to see all the new cars. Bet that's the same way guys felt in the 60's too.

II FUNNY likes this.
  11. That will be awesome to see more cars built for next year. I only know of one other than mine in the works near me ;) its a 32 Sedan - with a hemi - but that's all I'm allowed to say about that.

Gonna throw a few progress pics up before trying to get stuff done today. Made a lot of progress on the 392 this week. The machine shop guy who did the heads is an old time top fuel racer. He worked with Buddy Jenzen porting heads out of the Atlanta Speed shop a long time ago. He did the valve job and a mild port on the heads. The springs that came with the kit didn't work. They seemed to be street springs and only went to .480" lift. :(

So went to Johnny Thomas and he looked at his spring collection - he has tons of them marked for mock up.
    IMG_0138 (Copy).jpg

12. He found a Nascar inner spring and an Engle outer that will give 450lbs open at .600" lift. I forget the seat pressure but seems like it was 200 or 220.
    photo.JPG

13. Got some time on the floater brackets for the rear leafs. I got this steel free from a friend. It's .250 which is too thick but the price is right. They are made long so after all the chassis is set up the bottoms will be cut off.
    IMG_0125 (Copy).jpg
    DSC03806 (Copy).jpg
    DSC03805 (Copy).jpg

DSC03808 (Copy).jpg

DSC03811 (Copy).jpg

tylercrawford likes this.
  14. Today the goal is to get these ladders done so the front axle setup can start. The turn buckle things arrived from Summit, looks like they will work fine. Had to chase all the threads which took a while.
    DSC03827 (Copy).jpg DSC03817 (Copy).jpg

loudbang, Bean Dip and AHotRod like this.
  15. Love your eye for photography Seadog! Tyler printed out that pic of him in his dragster at Steel In Motion and framed it and gave it to me. Its hanging on the wall in the garage - timeless shot!

16. Got 1 of the ladders finished and the 2nd one all cut. This stuff is time consuming! This first shot is for Bean Dip.
    DSC03829 (Copy).jpg

DSC03830 (Copy).jpg

DSC03833 (Copy).jpg

Bean Dip and powrshftr like this.
  17. Wanted to put in a plug for these guys :
    http://www.gasserwarsmagazine.com/magazine.asp

I called to sign up for the mag on Friday - meant to do this for a long time and Bean Dip reminded me again - thanks Bean! - the web page would not let me subscribe in the impersonal computer way so I dialed the number. Man I am glad I did! This guy is the real deal race maniac. o_O We started talking Hemi's and he gave me tons of info on rockers, heads, pistons you name it he knows it. His stuff is all alcohol so he gave me names and numbers for lots of old timers that could help with gasoline. Really good guy - can't recall his name because I didn't expect to talk racing when I called.

powrshftr and Bean Dip like this.
  18. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

19. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

That fella really is a nice guy! I'm glad to see him doing well with his magazine. Did he say he would send you some stickers? I received some with my subscription and I plan on running them on the car..he's good people.

20. Yes he did mention stickers. Can't wait to get to the stage where stickers are going on.

Bean Dip and 30dodgeboy like this.
  21. X2 (and then some) on the great folks at Gasser Wars Magazine! They towed their blown alcohol altered all of the way from Washington state to help support our Meltdown Drags this last July. When they showed up early, Phil came over and helped me chase the new build gremlins in my front engine dragster. I just wish I could have spent more time with Phil and Dee that weekend. They certainly are the real deal!

22. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Roger that.. Gonna be cool though!!!

23. Does Kim know you stole her scissors?

24. Oh shit she does have her name on those :oops: ! She was out of town for 2 weeks. Let's just say some of her stuff was used by me ;) .

25. CGkidd

CGkidd

Great build info.

26. Rock on brother :cool:

27. CGkidd where is your build thread? Would like to see some Stude pics.

28. can't believe how fast this is flyin together, keep at it man

29. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Here's a idea for that hemi.
    10382732_700783013344349_6772916778682470419_n.jpg 1907850_700784666677517_8883308322957661806_n.jpg 10697352_700784060010911_5055304479670204073_o.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  30. CGkidd

CGkidd