Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 8BA flathead value

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 49mercman, Sep 19, 2014.

1. 49mercman

49mercman
    from pnw

i've got an 8ba merc flathead that was just built by a builder in peoria, ill. 4" merc crank, it's bored .120" over, jahns pistons, isky '3/4' cam, balanced, evans finned alloy heads, offy three pot w/rebuilt 97 carbs, full oil filter conversion, stock distrbutor, all new fasteners, johnson adjustable lifters new water pumps, new valves/seats, new timing gears, really all new internals except for reconditioned rods and crankshaft.............all i can think of right now. engine has not been started since build, was to be stored awaiting a car build. about what would a value be for this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. walter

walter

$5K with reciet documents from builder. $2,500 without.
    My Opinion!
    Walter

3. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

5 seems high. You could have it built for that and have dizzy and working carbs to boot. It also depends on who built it. I guess I'm a septic and would never drop 5k on an engine i didn't see through the steps. You might get that though.

4. I'd kill for those heads, are they NOS?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. ill give you 100 bucks!

6. 49mercman

49mercman
    from pnw

yeah, vintage heads. they were appraised at $1K and I was offerred $1200 for them. very difficult to price this motor. the offy manifold is one of the early, early thin cast iron offy's, i was told that its worth $800 to $1K. the 97's are going at $300 a pop. dunno. i have all the receipts for the new parts which alone total over $2K.

the builder was wally finly.

7. swifty

swifty

Heads and manifold add up to 2K
    Carbis call them 1K
    Add on 2K in receipts for parts
    All that gives you a total of 5K then there's machining (including balancing) and assembly so there is probably close to 7K in the whole engine.
    Despite what Saxon says it would be a bargain at 5K and 6 to 7 is more realistic.

8. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

You might be right swifty. So many unknown factors too make a internet estimate on an engine that hasn't been run and from a few pictures. Hey it ain't my money.

I do believe 2500 is low, just on parts. But 333 for one 97 seems high. They don't look reworked in my opinion and that is what it is... My opinion.

49merc I hope you get what you want for it. Some cool stuff there.

9. No offence, you've got all the right "stuff" but sounds like you have no paperwork
    to back up what is claimed to have been done.
    A reputable builder should provide a bill of what has been done by him.
    It's got lots of maybe's. like maybe it doesn't run!
    Recipts for parts doesn't prove work has been done.
    Just my $.02

10. sooo....ya wanna trade for a built SBC ?

11. 49mercman

49mercman
    from pnw

tony, see post #6.

stillrunners, not a chevy guy!

12. swifty

swifty

After this ^^^ I definitely agree with this "just a wrench short of a full toolbox" but then I'm not a lover of Chevs either.

13. Guess I read too fast!
    Sorry Wally!
    So it's gotta be $5-$6 G
    Just a runner is bringing $1500 with no goodies.

14. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

49mercman, this engine could have been built by Matt Werksman who lives just outside of Chicago. If this flathead engine originated from the Chicago area then there is a really good chance Matt was the builder. He should have the build sheet still on file.

15. 49mercman

49mercman
    from pnw

any interested buyer can have wally's contact info if i decide to sell the build. i'm just interested in value at this time. see post #6

16. flatheads - including bangers - still out number bowtie blocks in my shop....just trying to help a guy out...