Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Cadillac Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CadMad, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Olson

Olson

These were stunning cars as they came from GM, and these thoughtful revisions feel completely natural. Very glad to see that it's not getting dropped to the ground. Not that I don't like that, but they don't all need to be down there! I really like how you handled the rear by bringing the fenders out, and that you did so by extending the line off the body rather than widening the fender, keeping the shape along the top of it slender. Also glad to see you're keeping and extending the bead around the top...it seems to matter to the overall flow front to rear.

The "anything is possible" part of my brain imagines the torpedo headlights rotating down into the fenders with a panel on the backside (of where they attach now) re-completing the fender as they drop into it, with yet another panel rotating into place with it to fill the hole in the hood, all starting with a panel in the fender that drops and slides out of the way to let it all happen. May require a little metaphysics. lol. But damn would it be a cool way to have the best of both worlds. If it has to be one or the other, though, I'm hoping for the torpedoes to remain. They are incredible.

On top of that I sure wish I had your endurance! My back is a train wreck so it's a great feeling to make any progress at all...but what I would give to be able to work at that kind of pace. Damn. Keep it up!

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

This is an inspired build, and an INSPIRING one. (And I'm not saying that just because you cut the top off ;-)! ). Thanks for sharing the progress, and raising the bar.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. You have done great brother. Conceptual styled rendering be damned....I would still be stuck gandering at the start picture....then chopping and moving like you are. Angry mad men sometimes get the best results over us scratch head durrrr kind of fellers. That's definitely the way to get into it, isn't it? That car looks frekn' awesome....and I wasn't a fan....until today. Totally your fault. Stick in there......it will be done in great style....while I will still be scratching my head and duh duh durrring myself silly. Great post !!

4. cball

cball

subscribed, I can't wait to see more!!!

5. CadMad

CadMad

Devil is in the details. Still playing with the roof rear flow. I cut tbe back half off the top last night and rps20140911_214447.jpg rps20140909_071852.jpg rps20140911_214416.jpg rps20140911_214447.jpg tonight I.ll pull it back another 60mm. Trying to stay faithfulto Rik's design, hence the

jocktherock likes this.
  6. CadMad

CadMad

sorry having trouble typing on ph. . . Trying to stay faithful to Rik's design, hence the redo. Hope to get it sorted this weekend. rps20140908_065438.jpg rps20140909_072010.jpg

Eric H likes this.
  7. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

This is going to be soooo cool!:)

8. RBR

RBR

Subscribed! I own a 47' sedanette on air with a Pontiac 400 up front, power everything. It's the best car I've ever driven. Nothing like it.

9. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Eh? o_O

10. RBR

RBR

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410544315.268358.jpg

daddio211 and jocktherock like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think all of the superlatives have already been used but that car is turning out just as your vision and Rik's rendering are.
    I'd say that with what you have planned for the whole car it will cause some real discussion at car meets as to which coachbuilder built it or what autoshow it was displayed at as a concept car in 1938 or 1939 or which Hollywood leading man commissioned and drove it in the 40's.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Love your metal skills! That car will be a work of art. Love the air ride 47 caddy too!!

13. Galloway

Galloway
    from Arkansas

This is a beautiful build. Very well done.

14. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Nice progress. Any more pics and details on rear deck section?

15. CadMad

CadMad

Halfway done on the top. Hope to get it welded up tonight. Moved ot into a different spot and the white wall makes ot hard to see the roofline. But it does look good. rps20140912_213041.jpg rps20140912_211547.jpg rps20140912_211653.jpg

Eric H and ratty_aussie like this.
  16. So cool. Not overdone, just right.

Eric H likes this.
  17. CadMad

CadMad

Now that I realise that I am competeing with Ratatouille over at the French Pavillion, I just thought I should post this pick to show how we get our roofs nice and low down under. rps20140914_211600.jpg

18. Very cool build keep the updates coming.

19. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

This thing is cool man!
    I don't know if anyone has replied about the lowering blocks-but according to the NCOP-National Code of Practice, lowering blocks are LEGAL.
    Now, there are some things that may change that. You can't be lowering your car by more than a third of the suspension travel, they cannot be more than 50mm and there's something to do with the length of the car as well, I can't really remember. Basically so if you have a long car it won't bottom out on speed bumps and all that. Also, they must be made of either steel or aluminium. Most roadworthy guys don't bother to read the NCOP or even know what it is, so they're most likely to not give you a roadworthy because of it. That happened to a mate of mine a few months ago, he wasn't too happy with me. Best option is to take them out for a roady, print out a copy of the NCOP and keep it in the glovebox for coppers/mainroads.

20. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

My 2 cents.
    I think you should get the car in the stance you want it before doing the final roof job. The stance in combination with the roofline makes the flow of the car, so it can easily look a little different if you first do the chop and then set the car in the final stance.

This will be an amazing creation, for sure.

36 ROKIT and Olson like this.
  21. desotot

desotot

Wow! it's a big job but the payoff is certainly worth it.Looks fantastic.

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamtown Al, your avatar resembles a phantom '36 Ford truck with split windshield and car grille-hood. What is it ? Looks cool, whatever.

23. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SEXY
    The added bead gives it a factory look . Very good eye . the car's lines just flows .

24. CadMad

CadMad

She is all tacked up now and any doubts that Rik's request for me to rechop and lgthen the roof being the right decision have evaporated. Very happy with the look. Thanks Rik. rps20140916_065932.jpg rps20140916_065932.jpg rps20140916_065908.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  25. Yowza; looks great!

26. Eric H

Eric H

Really great progress. The roof looks perfect.

27. Torchie

Torchie

You got it !!!!
    Torchie.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Wow.

29. cmarcus

cmarcus

Looking awesome!

30. Are the mattresses the key to pre-chop bending ? lol sorry, thought it was a cool picture. My wife would make me sleep there....probably. Looks great, as usual. Thanks for the posts.