Register now to get rid of these ads!

Email System Is NOT Working

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by hellerlj, Sep 16, 2014.

1. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

I don't check my "CONVERSATIONS" everyday, not even everyother day, I took for granted,
    if someone sent me one, that I would get a notification through my email.....whether it was for
    selling a part or wanting to buy a part....SO...I go to my "CONVERSATIONS" today and there
    is come talk going back and forth about me not paying for an manifold that I had asked to buy.
    WHICH, I NEVER GOT A REPLY ON.....I usually give my direct email so folks can save time,
    but that wasn't used either.....ALSO.....on all my postings, where I have checked the box to be notified
    by email in the last few months, NONE of them, have given me any notice on any thread I have
    tried to follow......If there are problems, you folks need to find someway to notify involved parties,
    because what you have in place right now is NOT WORKING !!!!!.....You folks put forth this as
    some sort of brotherhood, but no one is willing to communicate directly....seems everyone wants
    the secret handshake and voo doo password....I am disappointed that someone involved, just didn't
    send me an email with a headsup...I have checked the box to received email notifications...I hope
    it works

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I don't know about the possibility of a tech problem. Ryan will have to tackle that. But, I think that if you have potential deals going down through the HAMB, it's your responsibility to check the HAMB. I'm not sure what you mean by "you folks" and the "voo doo password", but if you PM someone about a part, follow up with them.

3. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

It is not my job to CHASE anyone who I have already told that I would
    buy their part....you folks have set up a system to notify members that
    they have been contacted by another member...YOU set it up that way,
    NOT me...and if I assume that it is going to work, there is no reason for
    me to think it won't.....COMMUNICATION is the key here, and the site
    in my opinion has dropped the ball on this one

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Pm Ryan, the system is working for me very well. Maybe your email is filtering the HAMB stuff out as trash. Gary

5. Have you checked to see if you have turned on the receive an email when new conversation is started in your profile? This is not ebay the classifieds are here as an added bonus to members and it is YOUR responsibility to follow up with stuff whether you think it should be or not.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It works... I just checked your account and ALL OF the emails were sent. They more than likely went to your spam folder.

In any case, if you use our classifieds to sell things it is your responsibility to check your private conversations.

Thanks,

Ryan

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Ryan, I checked out Comcast email system and my outlook email system, neither
    have any record of the emails...I believe you, when you said they were sent...BUT,
    I have another friend here in Minnesota, who doesn't use either of the two email
    systems I do, and he ALSO, for whatever reason, cannot get the notifications that
    your system sends out....it might be something to look into...if there are two of us,
    the surely has to be more.....I thank you for your time.....This all could have been
    made much simpler, if the original guy who wrote to you and called me a NON
    PAYER, had just emailed me directly, I give him my email address in my first
    inquire about his part....Thanks for your time...Les Heller in Minnesota

8. I try to check my conversations everyday if possible, but I have notice that in the last few weeks, my email notifications about "conversations" come 3-4 days late. Just after the new Hamb started, they would come minutes from the time the conversation was started.

9. lostmind

lostmind

I just started having this problem today. When I shut down the computer last night , it did an update. Today I had 4 conversations sent , no notifications to my email.
    I went through everything I could check , all seems to be turned on.
    Same situation from the Ford Barn. Both had been working fine , SO
    must be the update. But I can't seem to resolve it.

10. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

It seems, I am not the only one with this problem...thanks for chiming in

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry fellas. I can't control your spam settings... All I can do is ensure the emails are sent.

One thing I do suggest is that you check your account settings on the HAMB and make sure your email address is current.

12. lostmind

lostmind

Thanks Ryan . What http address should I use to change my Outlook
    to safe to receive?
    Roy

13. Ok Ryan,
    I do not rely on the email notices, so it does not matter to me when they arrive. I have checked all my settings & everything is fine, they just come days late, but they do come.
    Thanks Bill

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Most likely due to your ISP. Here's how it works:

Spammers out there see that jalopyjournal.com gets a lot of traffic. So, they essentially send spam emails using a jalopyjournal.com email address as a return email. This is called "spoofing."

ISPs, in turn, see that they are getting a lot of spam email from jalopyjournal.com email addresses and they black list or delay the emails. It's been a problem for years and something we can't really do anything about other than email ISPs every month - which we do.

It sucks.

15. Thanks for the explanation Ryan, in the grand scheme of things, email notification is very low on the list of importance (at least to me). We appreciate your work.
    Bill

16. I don't know what is going on with my email notification, it was working fine, then all HAMB email notifications started going into my junk mail, I kept marking them as safe, but now I get no notifications at all ???

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in the same boat. Checked all my settings and still no go. I find just clicking on the Forums tab and click on watched threads, I can monitor the threads I am interested in. No big deal. On an up-note, it does cut down on my daily email count.

18. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry guys, I get the email updates right away with no problem on my laptop or iPad. o_OGary

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Call your ISP and complain.

20. lostmind

lostmind

Well , mine is back to working , so if nothing got changed here , there is a problem
    on my end---somewhere. Patience grasshopper!