Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Gear Jam Vintage Drags, Car Show and Swap Meet, Sept. 27!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The second-annual Gear Jam Vintage Drags, Car Show and Swap Meet, presented by O’Reilly Auto Parts, is Saturday, September 27 at the Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia!

Heads up racing with Quick-8 Qualifiers going for $1,000 in purse money in each of five classes:
    Gasser
    Hot Rod, sponsored by Summit Racing Equipment
    Muscle Car, sponsored by National Parts Depot
    Front Engine Dragster
    Top Eliminator, sponsored by Hot Heads Racing and Research.

No minimum car-count for purses! I advertised it, I'll pay it out!

Everyone who doesn’t make the Quick 8 will be paired with their closest rival in their class for a best 2/3 Shootout, ensuring everyone gets to make competitive heads-up passes all day long!

Burn-out contest sponsored by Hot Rod Deluxe Magazine
    Other event sponsors include Egge Machine, Coker Tire, and Georgia Street Rods sponsoring the Car Show.

Last year we had over 250 vendors in the swap meet, and are expecting more this year!

Friday Night, September 26 is Cruisin’ Commerce with live band, a beer garden and cruising on the town.
    For more information, check out our write-up in this month’s issue of Hot Rod Deluxe magazine, and go to www.gearjamdrags.com.

Check out our videos on YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7L7tGmzuw

2. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

It was a good time last year. Looking forward to more of the same in September.

3. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

4. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Nice!

Taking friday OFF this time so I can hit up the friday night deal . . . race cars were allowed in town right?!? :D

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

YESSSSSS They were!

-Brad

6. All American 6

All American 6
    from Sumter, SC

Look what appeared in my car during the Holley National Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green:

[​IMG]

7. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Diggin that flyer . . . can't wait for the show. Gotta pull the glide in the dragster but I will do everything I can to make sure its done in time.

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Countdown to The Gear Jam Vintage Drags, hot rod n custom show and swap meet September 27 at the Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia, with a cruise-in/concert Friday night September 26 the historic downtown area. Friday Night’s cruise is from from 6-10pm, with cruising on the main street, VIP hot rod parking, food tents, a beer garden and live music.

Saturday’s event features Race classes for Gasser, Front Engine Dragster sponsored by Hot Heads Racing and Research, Hot Rod sponsored by Summit Racing Equipment, and Muscle Car sponsored by National Parts Depot.

Heads-up racing with qualifying in the morning, and then the hard cases run a Quick 8 Elimination for $1,000 per class purse money, while everyone else is paired with the car (in class) closest to your ET for a best 2-out-of-3 shootout eliminations—Everyone gets to race all day, nobody gets put on the trailer, nobody gets their doors blown off, and nobody watches staggered-start racing. It should be fun for everyone, whether you run 7 or 17 seconds!

At the end, we’ll take the class winners for a final Mr. Eliminator, sponsored by Hot Heads Racing and Research.

Tech cards are $50, and gets the driver, your pit kitty and little grease monkeys in.

Racing is 1/8-mile for Gasser and FED/Altered, 1/4-mile for Hot Rod and Muscle Car.
    All classes run on a Sportsman Tree.

Gear Jam Car Show, sponsored by Chuck Keene’s Georgia Hot Rods, is 1972 and older cars, trucks and motorcycles.

Show Car entry is $35, and gets the driver, your chick and little grease monkeys in. (Immediate family.) This includes test-n-tune passes during the day.

All other adults, race crew and spectators are $10 each. Kids 12-under free.

Besides a judged car show with awards, there is are also “Club and Shop Pick” awards in the following categories. If your club or shop wants to sponsor a trophy, let me know.

Don’t see one you like? Then make one up and we’ll add it!

Flat-out Bitchin!

Best Paint—Chuck Keene’s Georgia Hot Rods
    Best Survivor
    Best Tradtional
    Trick Truck
    Best Use of Louvers
    Best Engine
    Best Custom
    Quality Breakage
    Just Kicks Ass!
    Best Hot Rod on Cokers—Coker Tire

Swap Meet

We’ll also have the NE Georgia Swap Meet with over 250 vendors.

Spaces are $25, for all the space you want, and that gets you and a helper in the gate.

Burn-out contest sponsored by Hot Rod Deluxe Magazine. Prize is a $500 gift certificate for Coker Tires.

We also have door prizes! $575 in gift certificates from Summit Racing and NPD, a case of oil from O'Reillys, hats, t-shirts and more!

For information on the race classes and rules, go to www.gearjamdrags.com, shoot me an email directly at [email protected], or call (706) 424-5035

tylercrawford likes this.
  9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

It's gettin' close!
    We just did the NE Georgia Swap Meet this past weekend, and had over 220 vendors... and Pigeon Forge was this weekend, so we lost some vendors to it. I'm anticipating over 250 vendors the weekend of The Gear Jam.

I've been getting calls and emails from racers and car show participants from all over telling me they're going to come--guys who didn't come last year but heard it was a great race, or guys who came but didn't have a car to race so they thrashed all year. Last year's event was good... I'm expecting this year's event to be a lot bigger and better based on all the calls I'm getting, and all the people I've talked to while handing out over 10,000 fliers throughout the South East.
    Summit Racing Equipment, National Parts Depot, Hot Heads, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Egge Machine, Coker, Georgia Hot Rods and Hot Rod Deluxe magazine have been helping me get the word out, so it should be an awesome event!

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I WILL BE THERE ON FRIDAY EVENING AND I WILL HAVE A TRUCKLOAD OF OLD CAR MAGAZINES

11. 59 brook

59 brook

had a great time last year and would come this year again but the wagon is still in the shop and i have nothing else that old , maybe next year

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Maaaaan is it shapin' up to be a great show!!!
    I've heard from a bunch of FED and Altered guys that are coming, a ton of hot rods, muscle cars, gassers and even at least one AWB Ford is coming to have fun.

We've been killin' it with the NE Georgia Swap Meet this year, and have averaged over 200 vendors every month--I'm expecting at least that many for The Gear Jam.

We have 600 Goodie Bags for the car show participants with stickers, wax, a $25 gift certificate from Egge Machine, Hot Rod Deluxe magazines, and 200 of them get 10% off codes for Summit.
    We've got nearly 150 ball caps we'll be throwing into the stands, and some T-shirts too.

Winner of the Hot Rod Deluxe Magazine burnout contest gets a $500 gift certificate to Coker Tire.
    Besides some home-built awards donated by clubs and shops, we have Top 10 awards going to the ten best, plus Best Of Show--each comes with a gift certificate to Summit Racing.

Did I mention that there's $5,000 in purse money for the racers?

The cruise in Commerce on Friday Night should be a blast, too--live music, a beer garden, food, and hot rods.

If anyone has any questions, let me know!
    www.gearjamdrags.com
    [email protected]
    (706) 424-5035

13. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY......no, wait.......SATURDAY, SATURDAY, SATURDAY......BE THERE!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Just got a stack of several hundred free passes to Pull-A-Part to stash in the goody-bags for the junkyard crawlers. I just pulled a Mopar 8 3/4 rear end housing out of the northside Pull-A-Part last month... had it narrowed and it's going in my Altered.

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

my son and I are planning on coming in on Friday. We want to go to the cruise in on Friday. How will we be able to get back in at the track Friday evening to sleep the night?

16. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'll be at the track until midnight. We've got a lot of racers and cruisers coming in Friday.

-Brad

slammed likes this.
  17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

saturday, Saturday, SATURDAY!!!
    Phone has been ringing off the hook, and my email box is full! I've been taking calls from racers all last week, and the staging lanes will be full of Gassers, FEDs, Altereds, Muscle Cars and Hot Rods. There's even going to be an AWB car or two as well.
    $1,000 in purse money for the Quick 8 in each class, and everyone who doesn't make the cut gets to make fun-run passes in their class for the rest of the day.

We had over 220 vendors at the NE Georgia Swap Meet at the beginning of the month, and I'm expecting all of them, plus a bunch more for The Gear Jam.

The car show should be huge as well. Every car registered for the show gets a goody bag with stickers, a copy of Hot Rod Deluxe magazine, free passes to Pull-A-Part, a $25 gift certificate for Egge Machine, McGuire's wax, and the first 200 cars get a 10-percent off discount card for Summit Racing.
    Everyone in the car show gets to make a couple dragstrip passes as well.
    Top Ten car show awards plus Best Of Show, and winner also receive a $50 gift certificate for Summit Racing.

Burn-out contest winner gets a $500 gift certificate from Coker Tire.

We've got door prizes too--a bunch of $25 coupons to National Parts Depot, and soft-sided coolers from Summit.

Throughout the day we'll be tossing 150 ball caps into the stands from Summit, NPD, Egge, and O'Reilly, along with T-shirts from NPD.

And of course, there's the cruise-in the night before in Commerce--live band, cruising, beer garden and food tents.

saturday! Saturday! SATURDAY!!!! BE THERRRRRRRRE!!!

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

TRUCK.JPG

We will be coming in Friday evening. We will be in this truck. My son and I will have a bunch of old car magazines from the 50s thru the 70s and maybe a few parts. We will have a EZ Up tent and this truck come by and see us.

20. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Got off work so I can come out to the show friday night this time.

What's the plan for the show on friday night Brad? Just show up with the dragster? :)

21. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

HA! Yeah, show up with the dragster! Last I heard, firing up the engine will be smiled upon!

22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've heard from a TON of racers! We're going to have full fields for Gassers, FED/Altered. That's always a concern for the race promoter. Hot Rods and Muscle Car classes will always be full at any vintage drags, and this one will be no different.
    And the weather forecast can't be better.

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

does anyone know what time the track opens on Friday evening?

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'll be there all day Friday, until 5pm. I'll be back at 10pm to let participants in.
    If you get there between 5-10pm, the track is running Friday Night Test and Tune, and they'll charge you to come in and watch the action.

25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

HOW MANY OF YOU GUYS ARE PLANNING ON STAYING AT THE TRACK FRIDAY NIGHT?

26. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

I live about 20 minutes from Atlanta Dragway so I won't be spending the night but I will be there tomorrow night!

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Cool I am getting my son out of school around lunch and we will meander our way down there making a few stops along the way.

28. Thumper

Thumper

Bump fer Brad.......Be There.......!!!

29. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

We'll be there. Howz 'bout ya'll????