Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What do i have to do to find a good lock smith?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Sep 16, 2014.

1. I had to replace the switch a while back in the 56 buick wagon but, didn't get a key, so its been hanging under the dash. I can start in without a key because its not in the lock position . It has to come apart so it can re install it thru the dash .The switch need a key to come apart. I have called 3 lock smiths to get a key made.3 said they don't do cars and I got 1 maybe if I drop the switch off. And they call them lock smiths?I guess with all the rentals cabins here in the smoky mountians that keep them busy enough????Bruce.

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

You can impression a key yourself, its not difficult, its just time consuming and you must be patient

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

get several blanks, lightly bevel the blank where the pins contact it, then attempt to turn the key to the start position, holding the key with vicegrips. You are not trying to turn the lock, you are using the pins to mark their position on the key blank. When you see the mark, file with a small round or triangular file. Continue marking and filing until the lock cylinder turns. Take that buggered up key and use it as a guide to file a nice looking key to use

5. squirrel

squirrel

I have a bunch of old keys that I've saved over the yeas, I can usually find one that fits close enough to get it to turn to the "release" position. You can also just drill out the cylinder, and buy a new cylinder. be carefull not to drill into the switch.

6. Mark T

Mark T

Call or email Locksmith Leon Rowell with the numbers from your lock, he will cut you a few keys and send them to you at a reasonable price.

I just had him disassemble and clean the tumblers and make 2 keys for a trunk lock cylinder of mine, he did a great job and his price with shipping both ways was good.

Home 641-623-1957
    Cell 641-990-9957
    Email [email protected]

7. Guys your talking to a simple man here make my own key? Mark t thanks for the phone # Bruce.

8. A friend of mine lost his keys in Pigeon Forge and he got Rick's Locksmithing to make him a key..I believe he is in Sevierville. HRP

9. Would tri 5 Chevy parts work? Got a whole new lock set with ignition tumblers all keyed alike for around $80

10. He can't get the tumbler out without a key. Bruce ask around the older locksmiths for a set of GM keys. Like the earlier post stated. You will find a key to move tumbler so you can get it out. Once out the code is stamped on the tumbler. That is if it's an original. Are take the switch out and drop it off at the lock shop.

11. I used to have a box of old GM keys. Never found a GM lock I couldn't open after trying 20 or 30 of them. Find some friends with vintage GM cars and maybe you'll get lucky.

13. H.R.P. That's who I used to get to make my keys for me .I called them yesterday and they said they don't do auto keys any more.I dont get that?????I knew Mary the owners wife from the nursing home they would always come up there when we had a problem.Bruce.

14. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Call F.M. George here in K-town. They should be able to help you.

15. Pull a door lock cylinder. If they are the original ones to the car the number should be stamped on the outer case.
    GM did that until about 1968.

16. I dropped off the switch this morning to Jims in Pigion Forge this morning, they called me this afternoon and said he couldn't do it .Its near Ricks so I am going to go there in person and talk to him when I pick up the switch tomorrow.If not I may have to try the guy in Knoxville Rusty Heaps talked about.Bruce.

17. Yeah,that's strange,This was last year a the Shades of the Past show. HRP

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  18. 7314haywood

7314haywood
    from phoenix

Didn't read where you are in the USA but Im in AZ and can fix it no problem. The lock cylinder has a side bar and while not impossible to impression a key it is almost impossible. If I had the lock I would drill for side bar and turn cylinder to remove and install new cylinder with 2 keys ( which I have in stock). No damage to ignition housing and you done. If you want to try and get door cylinder out and send me the code. should be 4 numbers we can try that. I have codes back to 1930. By the way I can do a lot of cars for HAMBER's. Just made keys for a 1958 Chrysler 300 from door locks while still on car by impressioning. Couldnt do truck, but removed glove box and have 3 of the 5 cuts so now I can finish key for trunk.

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

AAA came out and made a new key for me on the spot when I lost mine a few years back. Maybe an option if you have them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Rock Auto has a new replacement cylinder w keys for $7.00 or $14.00 ;
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1319970,parttype,10041

Another style on ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replace...Parts_Accessories&hash=item46048f7f1b&vxp=mtr

I'm sure there's other online places where you can find the part and have it at your door in a few days. These are usually the first two places I look for uncommon replacement parts. No running all over town trying to explain things to countermen and being told "can't get it". Takes up more time than replacing the part.
    I just order the part and have it here by the weekend for installation.

21. stimpy

stimpy

my old locksmith won't do the old GM wafer locks no more instead he drills out the locking bar and then replaces the tumbler set with new says often the wafers on the old ones stick and are worn and need replacement , there was a you tube video on how to do it , when I did mine I peeled the chrome cover off the cylinder then to the left of the key slot there was a indentation about 3/8 from the outside and thats where I drilled the lock rod out and then did the paperclip cylinder removal .

22. H.RP. I am heading over and pick up switch and then heading over to Ricks and see what happens.Bruce.

23. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

A little off track Bruce ,but did you get your paperwork squared away with the rmv?

24. Harpo1313 ,I didn't want to say anthing till I was sure it would work. I finally found a notary public to stamp the title so I am going down Monday with the old title and bill of sale and see if they will give me a antique tag.Wish me luck.Bruce.

25. Well I went and picked up my switch from that useless lock smith and H.R.P. will know what I am talking about and took it over to Ricks locksmith in person.Mary still works there and she said I don't know who you talked to but we still make keys for car ignitions. She still remembered me and asked where I had been then I showed her my ankle brace. Well we chewed the fat for about a half and hour while she tried about 25 keys {which none worked}She said Bruce give me a day or two and I will have a key and have it working for you. Its nice to have people who still really care about their work! Bruce.

Judd likes this.
  26. manyolcars

manyolcars

There are threads here that talk about the fact that GM only had 27 keys in use. I went to my 5 gallon bucket of keys and the third one started my friends 73 Cutlass

27. Man you got lucky!!!!Bruce.

28. Andy

Andy

I wanted a lock from a 60 Chevy trunk. I took the glove box lock to a local locksmith and he cut a key from the code on the side. Worked perfect. I now have keyed glove box and trunk locks. Pull a door lock and get a key cut from the code.

29. They are different locks .I will take the door lock with me when I go back and have one made for the doors too.Thanks Bruce.

30. You got lucky with that key pull. There were more codes than that in use at that time. Additionally starting in 1967 the side slots (keyways) were changed hence the stamped letters on the shanks. Later some of the lock cylinders were made non keyway specific but this did not happen until the 1990's IIRC.
    Been fighting with GM keys since 1970, when I started in dealerships......