Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is This Bad? '50 Ford Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ef bomb, Sep 14, 2014.

1. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

From the pics the floor is not unfixable, in fact none of it is unfixable. If the weird pillar/window rusted area is localized to just one side and the rest of the car is relatively structurally sound I'd repair it. 6" worth of repair panel for the floor or 2' it doesn't really matter once repaired correctly. Your not going to see it so it's much easier than exterior stuff as far as your skills go. I wouldn't let that scare you away. Lots of these around with good pillar areas to patch if it's not around the complete car. Inspect carefully and when viewing visible rusted areas times what you can see x2 and go from there. Last time I seen rust much like that was when a car was parked next to a building with roof eaves runoff cascading on it for several years in a heavily wooded area. The sun never hit it and debris, sap, etc. collected there and held in the moisture.

2. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

Joey - I kind of figured leaves or other crap accumulated and held moisture in the weird thing is the cowl and tops of the doors are fine!
    F-One sounds like a challenge :)

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yep, that sounds like a challenge to me, I say go for it!
    All it will take is a lot of want to, reguardless of your skills,and you already have "this" car.
    so why not, you can make it happen one way or another.
    My Dad always liked 50 fords, partially he said because that was the year he was born.

willbe likes this.
  4. 1pickup

1pickup

Hmm. typical rust for us WI guys. if the floor & frame is really unrepairable, maybe consider a donor swap. '64-'67 midsize GM would be close. but, your metal work skills will have to greatly improve. i like the idea of starting with junk, because you don't feel bad cutting it up. maybe remove the bottom 6" when you do, for a simple section job.

5. It sounds like you are going to give it a shot anyway. Keep a tab on what its costing you and be ready to jump ship if it looks like you are getting into a money pit.
    I have an old truck thats a money pit. I wished many times that I would have passed on it. I replaced more than I saved. Those shoeboxes are not 32 Fords so you can find another one reasonable if you keep looking and maybe make a good one out of two.

6. what parts, looks like landfill.

7. chop777

chop777

Yes bad.....but not to bad
    Yes you have your work cut out for you
    I have to agree......send that pic to Chris at shoebox Ford ...He will sawzall that section out of a donor car and mail it to you......
    Go for it man
    Remember sawzalls make metal smaller
    Welders make it bigger
    And grinders make it smoother
    And when you're done undercoat the crap
    Out of it from the inside.....
    I would take some of these comments with a grain of salt......and roll on

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

Yeah I'm rolling with it, some of the best things I've done was because I didn't know I couldn't....
    What I've seen of the frame looks solid and the floors aren't bad behind the seat mounts (until you get to the trunk ). I'll figure out how to build the tops of the quarters and pillars, it's getting chopped so some of the pillar was going to go anyway.

Attached Files:

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have spent 6 months rebuilding our shoe box and it was no where near as sad as this car.
    My advice walk away and keep shopping for a new candidate.

10. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

I was thinking I could have this one done in about 2-3 years!

11. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The good thing about this car is that you can't really hurt it. Anything you do will be an improvement. It will be a great experience builder. Start with the floors, then brace the door posts and chop away! Like you said, most of the pillar will be cut away anyway.

The Plymouth in my avatar was in much worse condition then your car is in when I started. I could have bought several nicer bodies for the amount of time and money I have in this car, and in hindsight, maybe that's what I should have done. I knew what I was getting into before I started. This was not my 1st go around, and I have acquired some skills over the years. It only takes time, skill, and money, to make a drivable car, and it doesn't have to be pretty to be fun. Gene

13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Ef bomb I think you have the Goo Goo Eyes. The goo goo eyes is a disorder where you only see what you want to see.

I hate to see wasted effort. Can it it built? Yes, but at what cost and at what compromise?
    With that much rust the chassis has to have some damage somewhere. Heck even the hood to the right of the bullet is rusted out. The thing is, there are much better ones out there, maybe even for less than you have in that one.

One last thought and I'm done. You may think things like, I'm going save one..but are you really or are you simply just prolonging the inevitable, ultimately emptying your wallet and souring your passion in the process? Think about this. Somewhere within driving distance is another one that may need very little. All it takes is patience and looking. That one may can easily be saved with some of the parts off of yours, but in the end,they may both be gone.

14. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Go for it Man! If you want to improve your skillset that is a good project to do it with. It will be all the more satisfying when your cruising around in it, especially after all the naysayers saying your wasting your time on it.

Attached Files:

15. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Go for it man...everybody told me to throw this one out...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410861610.060808.jpg

Now she looks like this...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410861665.011348.jpg

It just takes time, patience and will :)

Good luck!

LOST ANGEL likes this.

16. If you'd seen some of the cars I've sold to people who built them, you'd literally shit your pants over the very concept that someone even could rebuild them. Hell on this board it's happened. If this was a '32 instead of a '49 everyone would be telling him what a great projct it is and how he should save it. Well, people have to learn skills somewhere - why not on this nearly worthless hunk of rust?

But rust really seperates the can do from the run screaming away in fear.

17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

"Somewhere within driving distance is another one that may need very little. All it takes is patience and looking."
    And money. It really depends on time your willing to spend, tools and skills your willing to develop and yes money to see it through. Many projects are never finished and that's what brings the naysayers. He already has some car project experience and wants to customize a car. He should probably have someone chop it for him as well, it would turn out better. :D I started building cars 'cause I wanted a sharp car and couldn't afford to buy one done. But I had time, tools (thanks dad) and soaked everything in like a sponge and as a result learned skills I have never regretted and made a living off of it when I needed to. The hamb offers more instant info it took me years to develop by hanging around old car guys and asking questions and failing and doing it over again. I've built several nice and better than nice cars since. Be realistic as to your skills, but never underestimate desire. The hamb is filled with talented guys and information.

18. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

F-one I totally hear what you are saying and have been close to the sour point on my last project but worked through it and have more builders pride because of it. It was close to the scrap yard too but now I have a stupid fast sports car that turns heads and I did 100% of the work myself. The other factor is that I was widowed last year and have a ton of time on my hands now ...
    I bought a few pieces from shoebox central but will probably try to make everything from here on out, I'd rather buy tools and 4x8 sheets! Ps I've been involved in the welding trade for more than 20 years.
    Bottom line is it'll get finished to the best of my ability and I'll grow some skills from it.

19. If you've got good welding skills anything is possible. I didn't have a damn clue what I was getting into when I started, I bought a flux core welder and some cut-off wheels and jumped in. The water was only ankle deep (but I went in head first). Built my floors from scratch, if I was going to do it over I wouldn't save the trans tunnel, that was an unnecessary pain in the neck...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep us posted on your progress.

20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Ef Bomb I understand perfectly, Good Luck:)

My comments are more towards the young and/or inexperienced thinking this may be a lower cost alternative to finding one in better condition.
    Good Luck

21. Welcome to the HAMB brother!
    I just got our 49 on the road after 4 years or so on other projects. Car sat for about 7+ years but we finally got it running. We have a little rust around the hood lip and front quarters. Will just leave it for now. You seem to have a real project there. You could try your metal skills and learn by doing and maybe look for a straight body? Either way, it's the adventure..................
    Good luck and keep us posted.

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

So,you decided to dive into the deep end,i guess we should give you some hints.
    The floorpan fabrication is easy to do and so are the inner rockers.The floor braces are a bit trickier to fab and the outer rockers too.I dont say that they are impossible to fab,but buying them will save your time and nerves.If the trunk floor is gone too,its easy to put a Mustang gas tank in there.
    That quarter panel looks like so crispy that i suggest replacing the whole thing.
    I fixed mine by using a NOS 4 door quarter,but mine was damaged from the rear.Well,good luck with the build!

23. 62rebel

62rebel

my '51 was in worse shape than that and the guy i sold it to moved it on to the guy that actually saved it, cutting the 2dr sedan roof off and installing a coupe roof. i had pretty much given up on it and someone breathed life back into it. i'm not giving up so fast on my '56.

24. Squablow

Squablow

That damage looks like mouse nests to me. That's why it's so high up in the rear quarters and appears to have rusted from the inside out. My guess is it was packed up into the B pillar and then "marinated" somewhere with moisture or humidity. The floor damage could have started in the bottom of the door and just trapped moisture and rained rust particles down until the floors went too.

If I'm right, that might be a good thing, it would mean damage was quarrantined to areas where the nests were. Road salt tends to eat from the bottom up and not just in small, specific areas.

It's going to be a tough fix, but glad to see you're tackling it and not giving up. We, as a hobby, need more ambitious builders like you to fix stuff instead of junking it or covering it back up and selling to the next guy.

25. tinmann

tinmann

As my best friend (since deceased) used to say, "with patience and perseverance, you can piss a hole through a rock". I say, carry on. You'll never know until you try. I've taken on several projects that no sane man would.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Considering how many cars have been built on the HAMB, out of a rusty cowl and a thought, I'm surprised at the "walk away" comments. You know what I'd do? I'd go find a sign painter. Tell him to make a sign that says, "TIME and WILL". Hang that in your garage or work area and get after it.

When you feel like it's over, play this and go back in.

FlynBrian likes this.
  27. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

I really appreciate ALL the input here, this seems like a great community full of experience and passion!
    I bought the front floor pan kit, floor supports and outer rockers from shoebox central. If I had it to do again I probably would just fab the floor pans.
    Any tips or things to think about as I start rebuilding? I'm a little concerned about keeping the body square and on location as I get started. I pulled the doors to replace the lower section. I figured on tacking the sections in solidly and then remounting the doors to get the gaps right and bracing where I can.

28. Ef bomb

Ef bomb

Aw shit lfeverfred you broke out animal house! Now I gotta finish!

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You've only been here a few days. Do a search and read some of the build threads here. You are not alone. Problems will get solved with well thought out and worded questions. Take your time. Down time is research and planning the next step time.

Your Datsun was WW I. THIS is WW II! Pearl Harbor got bomb and the Axis are handing out "How to Speak German, Italian and Japanese" text books! So, you have two choices. Give up..... or.... fix this shit and kick some ass. Get your boots on!

30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My condolences to you and don't listen to the naysayers, enjoy the process as you work your way through your project, take it one step at a time and you will get through it. Take the time to think each step through and research them when you have any doubts about the best way to do each step. Good luck on getting it done and on the road.