Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Love for Vintage Tachometer design

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 13, 2014.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

x2, LOVE the early Jaeger stuff. But if you think vintage large face SW mech. tachs are expensive, you dont even want to think about the Jaeger stuff...
    From what I understand, Jaeger was originally Swiss made, later built under license in England.

2. mopacltd

mopacltd

Got a number for Williamson?

3. CGkidd

CGkidd

I am looking for a nice Mechanical tach for the stude but the price has gotten crazy for them.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Google is your friend, as long as you dont mind someone from the US Gov. looking over your shoulder...:D
    http://www.williamsons.com/

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Now I know this tach isn't as old as most in here, I guess late 60's at the earliest, but does anyone recognize this particular Jones?

It's cable driven, Model 5101-213.

How about you George? Whatcha figure...

IMG_4499.JPG

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, could be late sixties. IIRC, the original Jones tach in the Mark Donahue '68 Camaro had the same face...REALLY nice piece...

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn thats nice. Would look good in the dash of my Stude.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've been hesitant to post this, its kind of O/T, but ask any FE guy how hard its getting to find a tach drive distributor. This stuff is mid seventies, its for my 428...
    FE distributor 002.jpg

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

60's, Sun Tach, Hurst shifter, SW gauges.................traditional. Any questions?

Frank

1Nimrod, kidcampbell71 and slammed like this.
  10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Thanks guys. I know very little about it. I just picked it up at a small local swap a couple years back on my way out the door. It caught my attention and it was pretty affordable so I figured "why not?". Any idea on value?

11. CGkidd

CGkidd

I would hate to price it because it would then be out of my range. But I have seen them on ebay from 149 to 600

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In my experience, the Jones labeled ones fall between the Moroso and Stahls in price. Its been 20+ yrs since I've seen one with a Duffys face, I have no idea what one of thos might bring. All of them were SERIOUS equipment, HIGH quality, built for racers.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I need Sixties stuff?? Man, you know, I dont think I will EVER get the hang of this "traditional" stuff! :( Maybe I could trade this old crap for a HAMB friendly sixties Sun Super Tach and some "traditional" sixties SW small logos??? :confused::p

tripps.jpg

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. powrshftr

powrshftr

George:
    That's some "Border Bandits" equipment right there....Just picked up the Dec '69 Car Craft and Barrie Poole was using the same stuff on the Sandy Elliott SS cars.

Wish I would have been born a few years earlier....that dealership is only 40min from my front door.

Although they sell Hondas now:(

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I dont know why, but in terms of that '69/'71 time frame, it almost seems like Ford Stock and SS cars from Canada, and Ontario specifically, had a stronger presence than the Americans.Poole & Elliott, Ev Rouse out of Rankin Ford, George Constantines 428CJ mustang from Quebec, That whole Canadian Ford Performance Clinic deal, there were a couple of fast CJ's and 429's in Saskatchewan as well. Musta been those top secret "Canadian CJ" heads...:p

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lol!That was some pretty fancy footwork by Ford right there!:D

Scott

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Did you know that on the 50 factory Cj race cars they also put three different engine codes in the vin numbers?The fender apron said Cj,the door tag said police interceptor,and the third one (drawing a blank where it was located) said 390....That way the cars were legal for a ton of classes.

Scott

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, I didnt know that! Interesting...

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

By the way, I feel its only fair to let guys know, the picnic table I shot those gauges on is not really traditional. While it is home-built out of 2x4's and 2x8's, I gotta come clean on this...The wood was pressure-treated, and the paint is...LATEX!!:eek::oops:

I feel so dirty...

20. yeah, but when did the seed of the pine hit the ground?

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

God GAWD MAN!! :eek:THIS is the Pacific North West!!! Its CEDAR!!:D

22. I have a Sunpro in my Roadster and it looks like what we had back in the 60's. It is easy to install (no box) and it is accurate. Thinking about one for the Coupe now that that is finished. ROADSTER 010.JPG

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. sorry my bad. when did the cedar of the pine hit the ground?:eek::p:D

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, I salvaged the wood from an old deck I tore up, so its probably pretty old.

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's my newer VDO that I'm using with alloy pod. I changed the artwork to match the OEM style on my 46 Olds instrument cluster, trying to keep it consistent. Tacho1.jpg Tacho2.jpg Speedo2.JPG

26. Kev Bishop

Kev Bishop

I also have a tach fetish LOL it drives the wife nuts ,Just bought this one :)

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, grumpy32 and falcongeorge like this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

IMG_0832.JPG I've used several of the sixties Sun Super Tach ll's retro look with no sender required. Simple four wire hook up including a light. Its amazing how many of these NOS in the box tachs wind up on eBay. They usually go in the $60-85 range new.

Gary

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    1Nimrod and LOU WELLS like this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2016-12-26_9-2-43.png
    Hello,
    Thanks for the image Ct, we had one that looked like an exact copy of your chrome tach in our 40 Willys back in 1960. On the 40 Willys, the big chrome tach was mounted on the small dash in direct sight of the driver. It stood out well and the shift points were very visible from the driver’s seat. But, the one tach image that I am looking for is a rare one. In our 58 Impala, the large, chrome one looked funny everywhere we placed it on the dash. upload_2016-12-26_9-3-37.png
    We did not want holes on the dash for the mount. We even found two screws under the top edging of the dash gauge frame. This was the best place to attach a mount without blocking the windshield. The large chrome tach was too big, even for this space. We found a smaller diameter, (about 3” across) all black tach in an army surplus store in Long Beach. The sales guy said it worked and when we finished hooking it up, it was very accurate, including a great, inside light.

This small form, black tach used the Impala dash screw holes to mount it without blocking the important stuff (like the last 120mph reading on the speedo) Besides, when we went through the quarter mile, the red needle always pegged the area past the 120 reading. The actual time was 98.5 mph in the quarter.

Does anyone have images of a small form black tach that looks like it may have just popped out of an airplane or military vehicle? It had 4 holes for their own screw in mounts.

Thanks,

Jnaki

29. I picked up a Boat Cluster W/Sun super tack in it for a $1.00
    the Gauges are a Brand that I never heard off, but when I looked
    them on the Net I found out they were Expensive
    they are in my Man Cave somewhere.!
    The Sun Super tack is from 66 & still Works
    The Mechanic Tack is a Moroso with the Cable
    that some Freind gave me
    I called Moroso to find out about the Tack & he said it was 27 years old
    Jones from Stamford, CT made it
    I will try & take a Pic of the Cable to send it
    and Find out if its for a Chevy
    Just my 3.5 cents

30. highboy

highboy
    from marin

[​IMG][​IMG]

Matching pair of Smiths 4 1/2 inch speedo and Tach. Outta a Jag. As I was giving them a good cleaning I found the signature and date etched on the back of the speedo face plate... always love those little details

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod, Jeff34 and ct1932ford like this.