Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I the only one that don't like the new format ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by langy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Here's my "get out in the shop getting stuff done post your progress" contribution.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/truck-into-a-coupe-my-next-pet-project.850807/page-12

Maybe you've seen it

2. Two words; report button. Use it.

Looking back through the archive of reported posts, I see zero submitted by you. I can assure you that the JJ/HAMB staff do their best to toe the editorial line...at the same time, you can't expect us to be everywhere at all times - hence the report function.

3. gonzo

gonzo

Where is the "report" button?

4. Look right under your signature,it's not actually a button, just the word. HRP

GONZO,TODAY AT 7:15 AM REPORT

5. gonzo

gonzo

Oh yeah there it is, look out everyone your officially on notice!

6. Oh No,,,we might have created a monster! icon_lol.gif HRP

lothiandon1940 and gonzo like this.
  7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I posted asking for info on GoPro cameras and according to Ryan there were more than 10 off subject "reports" and the thread was killed automatically. Reworded the title and received some helpful info. Just noticed that request for Georgetown Hillclimb photos response was "check facebook or instagram". This constant shuffle to other communication technologies does not sit well with me. After a struggle and some help from Ryan, I've pretty well mastered the HAMB. let's keep it simple!

If you don't go first class, your heirs will!

8. I'm with you Dennis,I'm happy here,I'm not interested in all the non hot rod sites,bedsides I don't even own a cat! o_O HRP

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe the HAMB is just collapsing around me due to the failed redesign and the pressures of Facebook and Instagram... only I don't realize it because I'm having fun again on the HAMB. That's a real possibility you know...

But the thing is, does it matter? I've never hosted this place for profit or traffic numbers... and life is really about living and nothing else... and I'm having a ball... and... I guess, no - it doesn't matter.

I feel kind of energized about it all... I really am enjoying doing what I'm doing right now. I've got a lot of really cool shit coming down the pipeline. Some people will love it. Others will not.

Good god man. I'm selfish.

10. ...............................You can't scare us.:D It took you this long to find the "button", who's to say you can operate it!..........OOPS!...Who just reported this post?:eek:

gonzo likes this.
  11. gonzo

gonzo

HAHA. That's right folks there's a new sheriff in town, woops I think I just reported my own post.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well I read every post on this thread and I took on board all the comments from the moderators, I will also say I'm not moaning BUT in my opinion this site is just not the same anymore, there are lots of people who used to post that I havnt seen for ages, wonder where they have all gone ???

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One of two possibilities in my mind:

1. We've been way more aggressive in moderating stuff and keeping the forum on topic and focused on traditional hot rods and customs. As result, there have been a lot more deleted threads. They could be in that mess...

2. They don't like the new format, so they have left.

In any case, I'm getting back on my development schedule and have started to make a lot of changes as requested by different users. My focus is really on content and ease of use at this point.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ryan I sure wish I could put my finger on why it feels so different, I could then make it more understandable.
    I just feel odd when I come here now and sometimes feel I don't fit, It doesnt appear as welcoming as it once did.

Not moaning just my observations.

15. Gabe1775

Gabe1775

I am not much of a fan either! I am trying to figure out where the art stuff went?

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm really not sure what the hell is going on with the site, I thought it was just quiet so I checked a few threads and there have been lots of postings on them but I havn't recieved any notifications for ages ??? Weird

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

X-2 for me too Steve.
    I've been here almost 14 years, and it sure seems like it's becoming a ghost town.
    Ryan knows me personally, and I have been a major supporter for all time.....but when you hardly see any action taken place, it makes me wonder why.

18. Have you checked your alert preferences just to make sure they haven' accidentally been shut off or maybe never got turned on after the change? (I think they default to on but something may not have worked)

Click on the single torso flag at the top and then on Alert Preferences and make sure everything that you want to be alerted about is checked for being on.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Just checked the alerts preferences and all is good, i'm subscribed to a hell of a lot of threads but not getting alerts, in the last month I guess I have only had probably 8 or 9 come through, thats why it felt quiet to me :(

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm not sure what you are insinuating man...

Do me a favor and check your spam folder... Are they going there? I checked the server - the emails are being sent.

21. m.ralph

m.ralph

I agree, its sucks. m.ralph

22. Muttley

Muttley

Personally, I think the new style PM's (conversations) are light-years ahead of the old system.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here.

24. Yup and the basic system works exactly as it did before other than some different nomenclature.

25. Exactly except for ; where to find the "start conversation" button and the notification system that you have something in your "in box" I know where this is so this isn't about me. But there are plenty who don't know they have a PM or that their envelope is red and can't find the start conversation button.

It may work better (and I think it does too) but with this little and insignificant caveat, that users know to send and receive. Of which many do not as sad as it is,,,

26. The where to find the start a conversation button works exactly as it did before click on the users name and the window opens with the options to start a conversation that is how it worked in the old system as well. Or you click on the envelope icon (use to just say private messages in roughly the same spot on the page)and it will give you an option to send a message. I will concede that it takes some effort to actually look to see if you have a message now rather than have it slap you in the face with the pop up but really if a person can't remember to do that or doesn't understand what an envelope icon means on a computer there may be no hope for them anyway.:D

27. I love the fact that you can now send pictures in the P.M.! I just wish people would stop using the profile post as a P.M.

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I rarely look in here anymore. I'm not a computer guy, so the changes were difficult. Gave it a try for awhile, but finally decided I didn't like the changes much.

29. One suggestion, if I can, is on the old format, at the bottom of all the pages there was a dropdown that you could go to any of the other sections, with this new format, you have to hit the "top" button to go back to the top of the page for that somewhat hidden dropdown. My suggestion is add even that hidden one at the bottom of the page.

As for the new format, not as much a fan as some, not so dead set against as others. FOR ME its harder to use. Does it mean Im not going to come here? Not at all, but I do not spend as much time on here as I used to. That works out though because Im spending more time making metal glow ;)

As for Ryan saying he likes it and its making him happy................... in the wide scheme of things, thats all that really matters because its his site.

I used to run a nightclub. No matter where I put the room temp, every night I had people say its to cold and others say its too hot. Music level? Too loud, or they cant even hear it. If I wasnt too cold or hot, and I could hear the music AND hear conversations, thats where it stayed, BECAUSE IT WAS MINE.

30. I always thought that the Quick Navigation function was one of the handier features here. But I get the impression that more than a few members here aren't aware that this feature still exists on the updated site.

I posted this on another thread several weeks ago...

"The feature is still there, but it's kind of hidden.

Scroll back to the top of this page. Just below The HAMB Alliance banner and above the forum title, look clear over on the right side for a tiny, hard to see icon that looks like two overlaid squares with an arrow inside pointing to the upper right. Click on the icon to open the Quick Navigation Panel.

And you're right... It's another of those things that's not as easily found or logically marked as it used to be. But it's there."