Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Cheap Replacement 1952 Buick Radiator Only $115

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmillsUT28, Sep 1, 2014.

1. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

Wanted to show you guys my finding on an affordable replacement radiator for my 52 buick. I would say this radiator would be a good replacement for many other models. Large enough mounting brackets to drill any holes that you might need to make.

I needed to re-core or replace the radiator in my 52 buick. A stock replacement was over $600. To get it re-cored it was $300+. Figured there had to be a radiator from Advance Auto Parts that I could make work. Went to their site and did a generic search for radiators. They had over 500 radiators on there! After spending a hour looking at the sizes and mounting brackets I finally found one that I thought would work.

I always like buying from Advance Auto Parts because they keep a lot of parts in stock and I can order online and use their great coupons. Then pick it up that same day. I used the coupon code TRT41 which gave me $40 off $100.

Radiator part number: 433397 A little smaller then the stock one.
    Cost: $115 + tax
    Modification: Only had to drill 4 mounting holes.

I will be adding a trim piece on both top sides of the radiator to finish it up and make it look more stock.

Attached Files:

2. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Have you driven the car with that radiator yet? Looks like it fits fairly well, but does it cool like it's supposed to?

Chris

3. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Good find. I have seen mentioned(rumored) that a Dodge Dart radiator will also fit our cars. Do you know the application of yours?

I haven't had a need for a new radiator yet so have not looked any deeper into it.

4. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

No I have not driven it yet as I am still getting it road worth as it sat in a barn for 14 years.

I have only let it idle for 5 minutes. Did not over heat but it might be a different story when I drive it. Will report back if it is not cooling it enough.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If the rad is the same square inch area and same thickness it should be fine. If it is a little smaller should still work under most circumstances.

6. Squablow

Squablow

Looks period, too. Can't figure out what it's original application was either, all I come up with is "Ford truck".

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for the radiator information.

But, I am curious about that 'moustache bar' on the upper grille. Appears it has been cut and welded/brazed. I had thought, perhaps erroneously, those are potmetal (zinc diecast). What say you?

Ray

8. Squablow

Squablow

I bet what appears to be a weld is a rust stain where the hood gaps are. I've worked on a few of these and they all seem to get that. They are indeed die cast, and seem to very often be broken. A good crack free one is hard to find.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are correct! Upon closer examination of the middle pic, they are rust stains. Thanks! :)

Ray

10. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Not only hard to get but very expensive!

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

The "moustache bar" like you guys saw has surface rust but it's in great condition besides that. Not sure if I will get it chromed or paint it like some guys do. Have not figured out what I am doing about the paint.

I talked to advance auto parts live chat guy but they were no help. They could not figure out what this radiator fits on.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  13. Any update on if this radiator was ok? I need to do a radiator in mine and looking for a cheaper route like this. Have you driven it yet or hard tested it? Thanks