Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '48 Chev extended cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alaska gasser, Sep 1, 2014.

1. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

Back in 2009 we moved to Soldotna, Alaska. In 2010, I saw about 1 mile from our home, a field that contained about 500 cars dating back into the 40's. I was able to locate the daughter of the deceased owner and learned the plan was to crush everything that year. I put the word out the best I could and over the next 2 summers, some were saved, but about 300+ were scrapped. I purchased 5 trucks, 1 panel, parts from several more trucks and a '59 Impala to build my extended cab.
    While helping gather these, Diana found her '46 International P/U. Here's some of what we hauled home. Bodies rust well here, so it's going to take a piece of this and a piece of that to make one truck. The plan is for a 10" stretch, suicide doors, 6.5" chop in the front, 4.5" inch chop in the back and handmade 1/4 windows.
    Burned, but had a usable nose, box and rear fenders.

[​IMG]
    Many thanks to "Muscle Man" my son Austin for helping gather the bodies. I could not have done it without him!!
    [​IMG]
    WOW! Amazing what 1/2 an hour with a torch can do...
    [​IMG]
    This will be the main cab for the build.
    [​IMG]
    Don't worry. The roof and back of the cab are headed for the scrap heap.
    [​IMG]
    This gem still had a decent grill and headlight rings due to them being hidden.
    [​IMG]
    Rolling it over... "IT WAS TRYING TO GET ME!!!!"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Found a '59 Impala with...my 1st choice for a motor. It will be a different truck, so it needs a different motor...
    [​IMG]
    Yup.. a 348 Chevy!
    [​IMG]
    Thank goodness for friends!! That is a heavy car. Kicked my butt for two days while I fought to get it up out of the dirt and on the trailer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a long bed frame. Perfect for the stretch and a short bed box.
    [​IMG]
    Cut apart for the 10" stretch.
    [​IMG]
    All diced up for the new beginning.
    [​IMG]
    The two cabs meet...
    [​IMG]

2. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

Here is a picture of the suburban I picked up for parts. It was sold to the Turnagain Childrens Home in 1954 as a used vehicle and I have that used title. The names off the sides have been cut off and hang in my shop.
    [​IMG]
    New cab mounted. Roof and back of the cab skins removed.
    [​IMG]
    Back of the cab mounted 10" back.
    [​IMG]
    Doors back on to check fit.
    [​IMG]
    The back window marked out for the 4 1/2 inch chop.
    [​IMG]
    I had to empty my cabinets on the back wall of the shop and move them so the water can be hooked up in the hotrod bathroom my wife was been working on.

3. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

I was too impatient, so everything was moved off the truck and back enough to continue working.
    The windshield and door frames were removed.
    [​IMG]
    The hinge pillars are almost identical to the latch pillars. In preparation for the suicide doors, an extra set of hinge pillars have been relocated. The driver's side to the passenger side and vice versa. Later, the door skins will be cut off 3/4 of an inch into the door jamb portion of the door shell. The inside portion of the drivers door (containing the hinge mounts etc.) will be swapped to the passenger side and vice versa. You then weld these inner sections of the door shell back onto the outer skins and you have suicide doors in about 3 hours. The inner portions of the door shell are only about a 1/4 inch different from side to side. It's an easy adjustment.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry it's sideways. Everytime I loaded it onto photo bucket it did that.
    [​IMG]
    Time to remove everything above the belt line!!
    [​IMG]
    Before....
    [​IMG]
    After the use of a saw blade 4 1/2 inches wide.:D
    [​IMG]

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Great build thread so far. Thanks for sharing. Going to be cool and different.

5. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

Here's a before shot of the windshield.
    [​IMG]
    And after hitting it with an axe 6 1/2 times.
    [​IMG]

Due to the obvious damage on the initial cab, nothing was square including the door frames. That was why I didn't brace anything before cutting it all apart. As I started rebuilding, I squared and braced everything.

The window sections of the door frames were layed forward a few inches. Due to this new angle, the upper section of the back of the cab looked wrong standing straight up. This section was cut off at the body line and tipped down at the leading edge where the new quarter window will be to match the angle of the door. I forgot to get a photo before cutting it off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are a few shots to show how much the door frame has changed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hung the nose to get a better over all view. It's starting to have the attitude I was looking for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's it till probably next summer. Time to dive back into the wife's Anglia (a little bird told me it would be in my best interest to make it run and drive again.:D:D) I also have to attack my daughter's International if she is to have a hope of driving it next summer.

6. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

I sold the power glide transmission off the 348 for parts.
    [​IMG]
    When I separated it from the motor, I found one of the torque converter bolts was missing. Here is a shot of where it was supposed to be.
    [​IMG]
    Once separated, the flywheel showed signs of similar issues from a prior instance.
    [​IMG]

I'll bet it had a serious vibration!

To create some extra floor space, we dropped the 348 under the hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

While no one was looking, I snuck in a couple of days on my truck. The filler piece between the door and back of the cab was installed. Then the top of the door was tacked together to help figure out the angles on the new 1/4 window.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 54-extended-2.JPG 54-extended-2.JPG filled "b" pillar and dropped the nose of the hood about 3"

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That is a whole lot of work going on there. A friend of mine wnet through that a couple of years ago while building his extended cab 48 5 window pick up. He did not chop the top, but extended the cab a little more than what you are doing. Keep up the good work

10. clem

clem

I'm lost. Did ricks garage do a photoshop or have you ditched the 1/4 window? Was following with interest!

11. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

He photo shopped it. I'm keeping the 1/4 windows.
    Here are some more pictures. We're having issues with the internet and it keeps freezing up at times, so that is why I can't seem to get them all posted at the same time.

The filler piece from the door to back of the cab is in on the driver's side and the 1/4 window is also. This is a good indication of the new angle of the roof and chop.
    [​IMG]
    I cut the inner half of both doors and tacked the drivers side onto the passenger outer shell.
    [​IMG]
    A suicide door.
    [​IMG]
    To make some floor space, I threw the roof off the panel on for a look. I've heard of a large sunvisor / brow, but this may be a little too much.
    [​IMG]
    This is the back half...
    [​IMG]
    Here is the front half. It has too much lift, so the back half will be used.
    [​IMG]
    The stock cab corner is coming in 1" too far on the 1/4 window.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I decided the easiest fix would be to use the corners from another cab and only have one weld all the way around.
    [​IMG]
    I was able to get the corners sandblasted and cut to fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once they are tacked in enough, the roof panel will receive the final trim and it will go on for the last time.
    [​IMG]

12. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

Back in January 2013, I got the roof skin is welded on, but still needs some final grinding and hammering.
    [​IMG]
    I found this on EBAY and I think it fits this build to a "T"....
    [​IMG]
    I swapped a buddy for the dash out of this '58 he is stripping. This is a page from the scrap book Jackie is doing of the build.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Initial mock up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm going with this flamed gauge cluster. The eyebrow is about 2" narrower than I need.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remember...when using a plasma cutter.....it is not wise to use a glove with a hole in it. :eek: :mad: I should not have to be reminded of that!!!
    [​IMG]
    The dash was narrowed and pancaked 1" each way.
    [​IMG]
    The cluster looks like it grew there.
    [​IMG]
    Once the doors are final adjusted, the ends of the dash will be cut off and welded onto them.
    [​IMG]

13. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

Here are some of the 2013 Christmas goodies. Gotta love the looks of a "W" motor!!
    [​IMG]
    Cut the "A" pillars open and welded in brackets before adding more supports to the "B" pillar for the stretch. It was great being able to take out all the added cross bracing from the jambs, etc. and being able to move around in the cab again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Put a couple of the interior panels back in
    [​IMG]
    The door as last seen.
    [​IMG]
    After sitting, staring, figuring, denial......decided I screwed up and had to undo the top part of the inner door swap. I'm going to try and use the stock locations for the door handle and window crank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally got the 1st bear claw latch installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Started tearing into the front corners of the cab....lots of rot!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got a few of the patch panels in from Classic Parts.
    [​IMG]
    Picked up a new cowl vent.
    [​IMG]

14. Wow, lot of work going on over the time of the pictures. What are your plans for the suspension? Using the stock longbed frame, but what suspension mods are you going to do?

15. AZbent

AZbent

You are right about that "w" motor. It looks great.

16. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

38Chevy454--I'm using an S10 rear end and a Mustang 2 front suspension. Now that I think I have the photo bucket issues fixed, I'll post more photos soon.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, great finds and project. Anglia panel is Cool too.

18. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

March 2013 Well, I'm a few steps closer...
    Decided to find the hood I plan to use. Fortunately I remembered about where I left it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Patch panels are in on the right / front corner as well as the firewall.
    [​IMG]
    The left front corner is in as well as the driver's door is swinging and latching.
    [​IMG]
    The floor and bracing are in.
    [​IMG]
    Since the cab is one solid piece again. I was able to pick the frame up (since there is no suspension front or rear yet) and move it out of the corner it was in. This allowed me to put the rear fenders on and figure out how much the box has to change length wise to match up with the cab and the rear suspension.
    Here is a quick mock up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oct. 2013 I wanted to do something different than smooth out the entire firewall. Lots of people leave this upper valley.
    [​IMG]
    I smoothed it...
    [​IMG]
    Bought a pair of beat up valve covers...
    [​IMG]
    And shortened one up a bit...
    [​IMG]
    About 1 1/2 yeras ago, I bought a Heidts M2 front end for a good price. It had free shipping anywhere in the lower '48, but $700+ to ship to Alaska. I had it sent to a buddies in Colorado that I was going to go visit last summer. Once there, I packed 125 pounds of small parts in 4 flat rate US Post Office boxes and shipped them home. I then packed the rest up and checked them in as luggage to fly home. You should have seen the Customs agents freak out with that much steel being checked in.
    Removed the remains of the old suspension.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally dropped the motor in to build mounts.
    [​IMG]
    These are the stock '59 mounts. I cut off the bottom edges and then built new boxes.
    [​IMG]
    Once I pull the motor and trans out, I will finish welding everything up and clean it all up.
    [​IMG]
    I used the stock '59 tranny mount and made new mounting flanges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moved the S10 rearend above the springs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    C'ed the frame.
    [​IMG]
    This is the first time it has rolled in over 30 years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

February 2014 A friend of mine pulled the 6 out of his '50 and put in a SBC and added power steering. He then brought it to my place for the metal work. It already had the straight axle with disc brake conversion and late model rear end.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He raised the motor, so we adjusted the firewall.
    [​IMG]
    Made a new trans cover as the old one was butchered and rusted out. We had to raise the shifter surround to clear his Lokar shifter. Can you tell what the round section used to be part of?
    [​IMG]
    A few years back, I cut the center sections out of two rims to bolt a couple tires on my 3/4 ton frame to roll it into the shop. One of those sections was the perfect height.
    Made a new master cylinder cover.
    [​IMG]
    Patched the lower pan where it was chopped up by a previous owner.

[​IMG]
    Both front fenders were rusted and cracked at the cowl and had been "repaired" with bondo.
    [​IMG]
    Pieces were cut out of a mangled set of fenders out back and patched in.
    [​IMG]
    Starting to come together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was fun standing back and comparing our two trucks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got a few more things done. Mocked up the steering column...and built the mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The brake bracket's installed.
    [​IMG]
    The vent mechanism attached to the dash.
    [​IMG]
    Finally got the passenger inner and outer door halves welded together, the rust replaced and the window frame put together. Determined this method of suiciding a door IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT!!! Should have just bought a kit and done it that way instead!
    [​IMG]
    This is how the inside was looking...(Just imagine this is the passenger side.)
    [​IMG]
    Cut the corner off the dash and welded it on the door. Created the new inner window trim and installed. It will have to drop down into the new dash end to be able to remove it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Capped the end of the dash...
    [​IMG]
    Finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The steering is in and hooked up. I plan to notch the frame when I pull everything back apart.
    [​IMG]
    The pictures are all caught up now. I'm dropping this and jumping on Diana's 1946 International she saved from the crusher. The plan is to have it running and driving next year.